Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Black Z's and maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004 | 03:17 PM
Reb1281

Default Black Z's and maintenance

Okay. I've never owned a black car--just silver. Black Z's just look so beautiful and slick on clubbing nights, though. Exactly how much of an issue is the cleanliness on black cars. Do the positives outweigh the negatives. Super Black owners, just let me know your views and experiences i.e. Is the color worth it for how good it looks at night(when clean) or is a different color better(such as CS, SS).
Old 03-28-2004 | 03:25 PM
DiRN

I love my Super Black and it's definitely worth having to do a little extra cleaning.
Old 03-28-2004 | 03:35 PM
350black

be prepared to clean it about twice a week.
Old 03-28-2004 | 03:48 PM
Pagan

No joke. It shows up every singe little spot of dust and mud. They look AMAZING when clean, but mine dirties up fast.

However, with a good coat of wax, you can almost just rinse it off with clean water to get it looking good again. I kind of enjoy washing mine, and I do it at least once a week
Old 03-28-2004 | 04:49 PM
03 Z for ME

My Z is the first black car I have ever owned. It takes some extra work to keep her looking great, but it's well worth it.

If you keep a nice coat of wax on her, and get something like a California Car Duster, you'll be able to keep it looking good. Nothing takes the place of a good wash and wax, but a little detailing spray when you're in a hurry goes a long way.

I LOVE my Super Black and would never think of owning a silver Z like 48 percent of the owners out there. (sorry I REALLY didn't mean to offend and SS or CS owners.)
Old 03-28-2004 | 04:59 PM
CelticPride2

I'm also a member of the "My Z is my first black car" club. It does take more effort that most other colors to keep clean, but when you see how gorgeous it looks after washing, it's well worth it.

If you plan on going with a Black Z, I'd highly recommend buying a California Car Duster...great for cleaning light dirt in a pinch with no scratches. I'd also recommend using a good detailing spray after washing...it kills water spots dead and gives SuperBlack a nice deep shine. I use Mother's California Gold myself, but there's several brands out there that'll get the job done.
Old 03-28-2004 | 05:02 PM
Ricky
Banned

In the beginning you'll love your paint.. but over the months you'll begin to see imperfections with every wash. You will find minor scratchs VERY easily.. and it will bother you if you really love your car.

Second, it's a very hard color to blend, if you get into any accident or need body work done, be prepared that it's hard to get it 100% perfect..

If you have the commitment to black, it's the best color, if you don't, it's the worst.

So like everyone else said, if you have time to give it a real good wash every week, and can take care of it, it's the best color out there.
Old 03-28-2004 | 05:58 PM
adamslad

My SB Z is the second black car I've owned (I also have a black Civic Si) and it's a beautiful car, but it really is a pain in the a$$ to maintain. Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy washing it, but within twenty minutes, it needs to be washed again!!

Don't get me started on the poor quality of the Nissan Super Black paint, though. Not only do I have swirls and small scratches everywhere, but it's very prone to chipping.

My Civic is my "winter beater" so it's seen the worst road conditions New Jersey can throw at it, and it doesn't have a single paint imperfection. Meanwhile, I've babied the Z, never driving it in wet or snowy weather, and keeping an extra long distance between it and the car in front, but it's got little chips and scratches all over it. I don't understand it.

The Honda Nighthawk Black is so far superior to the Nissan paint, it's ridiculous. The Civic was about half the price of my fully loaded MY04 Touring Coupe, but the paint is 10 times more resilient. Ugh. Maybe I should have gotten PPW or DB... or better yet, a friggin' ///M3!! Grrr...
Old 03-28-2004 | 09:20 PM
s9am_me

black looks so sick (good way) when its nice and clean. Just wax it with a good name brand (i.e. - Blackfire) and quick detail spray it once a week. Also, get a car cover.. cuz dust shows up like crazy. other than that... its the sexiest color out there besides red. if you don't have a garage, its gonna be really hard to keep it clean
Old 03-28-2004 | 09:51 PM
Chicken

Black looks very nice on cars, but it depends on you. Are you the type that will wash it often, baby it, do everything more carefully (wash, wax, etc.) ? Or are you a bit on the lazy car owner side, more relaxed about washing and keeping it looking good?

My last car, a Porsche 911 is black (I say "is" because I haven't sold it yet). I can't stand it, and I just don't have the time nor desire to spend the time on keeping it looking as it should. Thus, it doesn't. I haven't washed it in 2-3 months and it looks like it's ready for the scrap heap. If I were to wash it, you'd think it's brand-new.

I got Chrome Silver because it fits me better. Black is great unless you're not going to keep up with it constantly, in which case it'll make you look like the negligent car owner you are. Silver keeps that a secret, just between you and it, and still loves you.
Old 03-28-2004 | 10:00 PM
Beaker02

Black rocks. It is a once a day dusting, twice a week wash and a once a month wax. But it rocks.
Old 03-28-2004 | 10:41 PM
Dre Dizzle

I actually like to clean my car...
Old 03-28-2004 | 11:29 PM
Jsn350Z

Nothing beats a clean black Z.. But if your not up to cleaning it 1-2 times per week, then it won't look to great. If I were not the detailing freak that I am, I would have bought CS or SS.
Old 03-29-2004 | 06:50 AM
KrazY-2K

I got a Redline and I already wash it twice a week and dust it off every day. I wonder how frantic I'd be if I had a Super Black...yeesh.
Old 03-29-2004 | 08:52 AM
va350z33

No color looks better than black when it is clean. You just need to make sure you wash and wax it regularly, since everything shows on it.
Old 03-29-2004 | 09:16 AM
noahbuddy

Love it when it's clean, hate it when it's not.
I usually run it thru the touchless once a week (just the jet sprays) and do a hand wash on the weekends.

And, definitely get the clear bra.
Old 03-29-2004 | 11:24 AM
zuddenly

i had a black prelude, nighthawk black (had blue speckles)... it was beautiful when clean, but i had to wash it approx. once every 2 wks i like owning a ppw now... the water spots are just invisible on white
Old 03-29-2004 | 01:44 PM
netman_one

Default My New Super Black - "Swirls"

"Don't get me started on the poor quality of the Nissan Super Black paint, though. Not only do I have swirls and small scratches everywhere, but it's very prone to chipping."

Hello, have just found and joined this board...
I also just bought my 04 super black (w/burnt orange seats) touring conv on 3/20/04 (w/all nissan options included) and have been taking it back to dealer 3 times since then. When they put it in the lights (bought at night) saw all these "scratches" they told me were normal "swirls" on a black car. Agreed we would give daylight a chance... After seeing the car in daylight next day, I took it back to dealer, who has had a pro company called Leading Edge work on it twice so far (it's now there for a third time) to deal with my paint issues. They did a process that heats up clearcoat and blends it together. Trouble is they missed a few areas twice, so back it goes for more love and care.

I really love this car, and have put 780+ mile on it back & forth to dealer so far. Has not been anywhere else yet! - Bought the car cover, and rigged up a bottled water system in my garage to wash my car (btw: works well). Hopeing to get it back perfect this time. I understand the swirl concept on this black car, but just refused to also deal with what I perceive as scratches (in clear coat) or imperfections. Am guessing this is a common SB problem?

Hope to get it back tomorrow night in a shape I expect.
Do not mind regular cleaning or waxing, but want to start with paint looking the way it should even upon very close inspection.
Have others out there had major problems with these swirls and scratches upon buying a new 350Z SB?

netman_one
Old 03-29-2004 | 03:05 PM
willpower

I have to admite my first choice was Brickyard....But they just sold the last one and I didnt want to wait six weeks for another so I went with the Super Black,Now I wouldnt change it for the world,But yeah those swirls and scratches are a pain in the a$$ but I got my self an orbital polisher and they came right out it was worth the twenty bucks.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYALATER

Quick Reply: Black Z's and maintenance