Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why Is A Light Violation A Mandatory Court Date....more!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 05:00 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Why Is A Light Violation A Mandatory Court Date....more!?!?

Originally posted by sicilianoNYC
Ok, so i got pulled over 3 weeks ago on the dekalb/gwinnett county border line (metro ATL) for having blueish white LED sidemarkers on my 350Z. He gave me a ticket for them and also said he was giving me 2 warnings which he wrote on the ticket (improper license tag ...he said my NISMO plate was covering up the county name, and going 80 in a 55 was a warning). So the ticket is for having blue sidemarker lights. I called the number on the back of the ticket today (1 week befoe my court date) and the lady told me It was a mandatory court appearance, I asked how much the fine was and she said I have to go to court thats all.

WHY DO I HAVE TO GO TO COURT FOR a LIGHT VIOLATION!?!?!?
Sounds to me like he did you a HUGE favor. He gave you a warning for 80 in a 55 (a moving violation that would jack your insurance rates) and only gave you a ticket for a mechanical issue (which probably carries zero points and not insurance hassle).

I bet if you fix the lights and show up with proof that you fixed em that the light ticket will also be dropped. That is probably why you must appear, so that they can be sure you fix the problem.

As to why he did it, if he felt that they were "blue lights" that is illegal in almost every state since blue is reserved for emergency vehicles. To me this seems a bit picky since the LEDs are really white with a mild blue tint (right?).

Bummer that you got the ticket, but it could have been much worse.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:49 AM
old_s13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats with all this cop-negativity? i have friends who's cars spit flames and cops dont get that crazy on them -- then we have a citation for red or blue lights, big deal.. just fix it.

He didnt give you a citation for speeding, thats what is important. As for the LED ticket, well.. it really depends on their color. Blue is illegal, but white is not.

- Mike
Old 04-03-2004, 12:20 AM
VTEC EX-RT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by old_s13
As for the LED ticket, well.. it really depends on their color. Blue is illegal, but white is not.
White sidemarkers are illegal in CA. A cop hassled me on this once with my clear corners.