Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs S2000

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 08:35 PM
NzZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah the boxster is not a chick car either. It's an awesome car, and if service costs weren't astronomical I'd probably have one right now. The sound and handling of the boxster simply eclipse the Z...although it's not as fast, I think it is more fun to drive than an M3 or a Z. Something about that mid-engine design makes it rotate so beautifully...and the brakes are amazingly progressive...and don't get me started on how great the steering feel is.

All that great stuff being true, the boxster is not without flaws. The interior is complete crap - the tiburon's is better, the shifter (5spd) is one of the worst I've encountered recently, and the boxster is actually more expensive to maintain than the 911 (a friend of mine has both, lucky bastard!)

NzZ

Originally posted by pulpz2
Ok I've been thinking about this a bit more.
What about a Porsche Boxter? Its not very muscular and I do see several chicks driving them.

Another chcik car -> Hyundai Tiburon
Old 04-29-2004, 12:11 PM
tbridis

>>I seriously considered the S2K. I test drove it and found it to be a lot of fun to drive. What I didn't like about the S2K is that you really need to rev the engine to get some decent power, but that's how it's built. I didn't like the layout of the cockpit. I hated everything being off centered to the drivers side.<<

I went back and forth between the '03 s2k and the Z, test-drove the s2k on two separate occasions and made my wife drive it. The s2k was a total blast, an awesome car; reminded me lots of my '91 mr2 turbo and handled even better.

But it felt like there was no power in the s2k until you got up around 6k rpms and by then you couldn't have a conversation because of the engine noise. And it was a snug cockpit for my 6-foot frame. And the insurance on the s2k (b/c of the convertible top) was gonna be higher than on the coupe Z. And it wasn't nearly as nice-looking as the Z. And the 04 Z's were just out...

For the '04 year, Honda's addressing a lot of these complaints. They added torque lower in the power band and dropped the redline from 9k rpms; they added bigger tires and redesigned the interior to give you a bit more shoulder space. I keep telling myself, I would have been really upset to have chosen the '03 s2k when Honda made such important changes for '04.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:22 PM
axxizzer

Default bluuehe

Originally posted by aznkukuboi
uh.. miata is NOT a chick mobile... and a Mustang?! they're everywhere!

i can get more girls with a benz or bimmer

rx-8, s2k's, and z's can attract girls though

s2k's are more expensive and EXTREMELY small, i thought about it, but stopped because my dad would never aprrove of such a tiny car. Also, it's like the rx8, you have to rev pretty high to feel the power, feel like it's a waste of gas.
not about attracting girls dude, girls always DRIVE them.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Fear Night

I considered the S2K when shopping for cars as well. The car was way too cramped for me ... I could barely get my foot into the clutch with the seat all the way back. I needed a daily driver which obviously the S2K wouldn't be very practical as. After test driving both cars its fairly obvious the S2K has a slight edge over the Z in handling, but the torque of the Z compared to the S2K was uncomparable. Also, the S2K was priced at $34,600 and the Z at $30,400 (down to $28,600 after negotiation though )
Old 04-29-2004, 02:37 PM
superstuddc27

s2k doesn't seem like a chick car. i've never seen a chick driving one. well... cept that ugly one on 2fast2furious where she drives it and messed the front end up shooting NOS or something.
Chick cars:
1) Beetle (no one can beat that)
2) NEW mr2 spyder
3) celica
4) rsx-s.. yes believe it or not, i know a lot of guys with this car but a lot of chicks too
5) the NEW corolla
Old 04-29-2004, 07:58 PM
G35MiXeD
Banned

Howz Celica or RSX-S chicks car???? i know SOOO MANY guys that drives celica or rsx-s it's not even funny.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:26 PM
ml2316

hey speaking of 2fast2furious, i just saw it for the first time and noticed the girl (suki or whatever) drew a picture of the z and referred to the picture as a "work-in-progress". pretty cool, i guess the z wasn't close enough to release to include it in the movie and this was their subtle way of alluding to that and of giving it some recognition anyway. thought that was kinda cool.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:43 PM
superstuddc27

haha yeah.. well i know a lot of celica guys too but it's usually chicks that have that car.. or want it. i don't know.. i guess it appeals to them. lot of girls i know want an rsx cause it's "cute" and "fast" haha. i can imagine a chick driving a white celica or white rsx with like a little thing hanging out on the rear view mirror ahah my opinion
-dave
Old 04-29-2004, 10:51 PM
BruceLee25

Yes i consider S2K b4 i buy the Z , i know the S2K is extremly good in handling and its a top-off , but when the Z come out..
everythin about the S2K are gone... damn attractive look , powerful HP , and more sporty interior . I just love my Z
Old 04-30-2004, 01:26 AM
pulpz2

Originally posted by ml2316
hey speaking of 2fast2furious, i just saw it for the first time and noticed the girl (suki or whatever) drew a picture of the z and referred to the picture as a "work-in-progress". pretty cool, i guess the z wasn't close enough to release to include it in the movie and this was their subtle way of alluding to that and of giving it some recognition anyway. thought that was kinda cool.

They did have a Z in the movie. Remember the seeen at that warehouse and all the cars come out at once and take off in different directions? One if the cars was a Z. Watch it close.

Aside from that, the movie really sucked.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:15 PM
time4aspliff

I agree that the S2000 is a true sports car with timeless styling. My only gripe: it should have been turbocharged from the factory. Also, even though they've been out for 4 years, you still see far less S2000's than you do Z's. Here in SoCal, I literally see 4-6 Z33's on my way to work every morning. Exclusivity can be cool.

The Miata is generally considered a chick car but people involved with grassroots racing (autocrossing, etc) swear by them. They've been tracking them from day 1. I've seen plenty of dudes driving these track prepared Miatas on the street and when you see the aggressive roll cages, you're generally not thinking about slumber parties.

The current Eclipse is a 'girl car' because it has pretentious racer looks but falls short in the engine bay.

I think that normally aspirated FWD (new) Celicas can be considered chick cars (even though I know some dudes who tool around in GTS's). I personally feel that most old school Celicas are exempt as those are the cars that I grew up with and back in the day, we never considered them to be feminine in any way. For example, the 1985 Celica GTS came stock with bulging fender flares. My friend had a black GTS with a TRD suspension kit, 16" Hayashi Racing 504's, Doug Thorley headers, etc. and that thing looked (and sounded) pretty tough back in the mid 80's.

The ultra rare 4WD Turbo Celicas are definitely not chick cars. I can speak from 1st hand experience. I absolutely love my Z33 but my 1988 All Trac Celica Turbo (modded) will destroy any stock 350Z. In fact, when the clutch isn't slipping, it's slightly quicker than the Greddy Twin Turbo (based on Motor Trend's figures).

Anyway, getting back to the thread: I chose the Z over the S2000 because of the torque factor. I just couldn't see myself plopping down $34,400 on a car that needs to be redlined constantly... I've only driven my Z a handful of times since I bought it back in Oct. of 2002 so I don't know if it's a good daily driver.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant fit in an S2K... my legs are too long... I felt too cramped in my friends...
Old 04-30-2004, 09:27 PM
SublimaZe

Sorry, but I gotta agree that the stook is a "chick car", just like the Miata....JMO
Old 04-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my last car was a total girl car...
Old 04-30-2004, 10:13 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

My last car was a Mercedes SLK230 Automatic. Yellow. Talk about a chick car! My wife drives it now, and I drive my Daytona BLue 6-speed 350Z. Much better! (OK, the SLK had a better interior, and that cool convertible hardtop, but other than that, the Z is much better.)
Old 04-30-2004, 11:59 PM
k4ngsta

s2k IMO is a chick car .. but everyone to their own opinions .. i see a lot of guys driving certain cars just as much as i see a lot of chicks driving it also .. like the celica ... civic .. rsx .. mustangs .. i personally own a mustang at the moment .. but i have to admit there are many chicks with mustangs.. except their cars dont roar like mine well IMO i think chick cars are cars that dont have that aggresive look .. for example the wrx .. i'm sure there are chicks who drive it but i just cant picture that without seeing it .. but for a s2k .. its small .. and petite .. yes the performance is great .. but you cant picture a manly figure coming out of that car .. but you sure can picture a girl popping that door open and coming right out .. whoo hott .. well like i stated above .. girls and guys both drive the same cars .. no doubt .. but its just the feeling the car gives you when you first look at it .. well thats my 2 cents .. enjoy
Old 05-01-2004, 12:08 AM
xzbum

I've seen a S2000's driven by a chick...

but it's not a chick car.

It's small, cute, and great styling car but when I think about the performance of the car, I can't agree that it's a chick car.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:46 AM
BDM

Originally posted by k4ngsta
. . . but for a s2k .. its small .. and petite .. yes the performance is great .. but you cant picture a manly figure coming out of that car .. but you sure can picture a girl popping that door open and coming right out
Since you seemed to need help visualizing, this is a picture of me in my pre-Z ride. Be sure to let me know if I don't look "manly" enough.
Attached Thumbnails 350Z vs S2000-me-in-s2000.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 06:22 AM
pulpz2

Originally posted by BDM
Since you seemed to need help visualizing, this is a picture of me in my pre-Z ride. Be sure to let me know if I don't look "manly" enough.
Is he wearing a skirt???
Old 05-01-2004, 10:39 AM
time4aspliff

The 427 Shelby Cobra is small & petite but it's never labeled as a 'chick car'. In my opinion, any 2 seater w/brisk acceleration (and a stiff chassis) qualifies as a true sports car. Just don't paint it pink!!

Quick Reply: 350Z vs S2000