Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Auto. Z owners---are you satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 04:03 AM
MikeyDNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TJZ:

You may be able to use big words and heavy prose, but you completely misunderstood my statements. Somehow you inferred that I said that people who drive MTs are unemployed or have no responsibility. That couldn't be further from the truth. I currently drive a manual and as a matter of fact, I applaud those who have chosen to order them on the Z w/o hesitation. It certainly requires that extra bit of effort everyday which I am not completely certain I am willing to continue to give (and by the way, I suspect that for a good number of MT owners, the Z may not be their daily driver).

The point I did intend to make was that I am not interested in whether anyone thinks that the automatic is appropriate for a sports car (just look at the first response I received). And without question, I have observed that only people who are immature, and who have not had to deal with driving in heavy traffic, long commutes or significant responsibilities are the ones who tend to criticize people for ordering automatics.

Furthermore, the "high school" comment stems from the fact that most of the immature individuals whose posts I have read on this and other forums which initiate the auto v. manual wars tend to be teenagers. And yes, being not very far removed from high school, I know very well that h.s. students do have "special roads" w/o traffic. Most kids commute a couple miles to school or less.

The intent of my statements was to prevent this thread from deteriorating into what all other threads that discuss the auto. transmission deteriorate into which is simply to bash those who ordered them. I ordered a manual; I am now reconsidering that decision. Since I will only have the opportunity to test-drive the manual, I wanted to get the opinions of auto. owners on whether they are enjoying their cars.

I really appreciate the genuine responses on the auto. It's nice to know that if I pass on the MT, I will probably enjoy the automatic. Please keep the discussion going!

And if people just want to post with a simple "yes, I like it" or "no I regret it" that's fine too. A simple head count would be helpful as well.

Last edited by MikeyDNY; 10-02-2002 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:09 AM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Auto

Originally posted by mikersoft
I thought that was the guy who runs BMW's M division (I'll have to double-check my Autoweek when I get home)...

-Mike
You are right, Mike, I checked it last night. However, it is signficant that he made the statement as head of their high-performance division. The M models, to me, have always been the sports cars, not the E46 coupe and others. They are good handling sedans, not sports cars.

Boomer
Old 10-02-2002, 06:41 AM
rockit

I got an AT as well, was not interested in driving in DC rush hour 37 miles one way with a manual

I think the car drives great with 1100 miles on it so far, and got no complaints as of yet.

MikeyDNY, I have to concur with what you said. Most people understood why I got an AT over the MT, but those who objected, or straight out made fun of me 'oh you're such a wuss, what a joke, what a waste of money' were all teenagers.

Bottom line ... the AT is very good

--rockit
Old 10-02-2002, 03:18 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MikeyDNY
TJZ:

Somehow you inferred that I said that people who drive MTs are unemployed or have no responsibility. That couldn't be further from the truth. I currently drive a manual and as a matter of fact, I applaud those who have chosen to order them on the Z w/o hesitation. It certainly requires that extra bit of effort everyday which I am not completely certain I am willing to continue to give (and by the way, I suspect that for a good number of MT owners, the Z may not be their daily driver).

The point I did intend to make was that I am not interested in whether anyone thinks that the automatic is appropriate for a sports car (just look at the first response I received). And without question, I have observed that only people who are immature, and who have not had to deal with driving in heavy traffic, long commutes or significant responsibilities are the ones who tend to criticize people for ordering automatics.

Furthermore, the "high school" comment stems from the fact that most of the immature individuals whose posts I have read on this and other forums which initiate the auto v. manual wars tend to be teenagers. And yes, being not very far removed from high school, I know very well that h.s. students do have "special roads" w/o traffic. Most kids commute a couple miles to school or less.
If you reread your previous post, it's pretty easy to see how I inferred what I did. As for immature individuals being the ones to make fun of auto owners. I agree, but please don't label them as high school students. There are some, but I'm sure just as many of them are in college, etc.

As far as the "special road" thing goes, I wish every night that I wouldn't have to wake up to all the traffic on my way to school (doesn't work btw).

I'm also glad to see this thread hasn't turned into an "auto's vs manual" thread. Those are the worst on every car forum.

p.s. I apologize for calling you stupid. It was only some of the things you said that I had problems with (and I was upset after reading InternesAbyss' horror story).