Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

HELP! Where exactly is the oil filter and can I see it without a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 09:03 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HELP! Where exactly is the oil filter and can I see it without a lift?

I've got a bad feeling and I want to verify something before I fly off the handle tomorrow. I got an oil change this weekend and took in my own oil. I specifically asked for an oil and filter change and paid for an oil AND filter change as per my receipt. I got back a quart and a half and me being the dumbass that I sometimes am didn't think anything of it. According to the owner's manual, a oil and filter change requires 5 quarts. Sans the filter change and you only need 4 5/8. Is it possible that all of the oil did not drain out within the time my car was turned off, went up on the lift and the plug was pulled AND that I truly received a fillter change, or did I get hosed?

Can anyone point me to the filter so that I can look at it and see if it's sparkling clean on the exterior or dirty like the rest of the undercarriage?
Old 10-06-2002, 09:40 PM
ksj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The large hole in the shield on the upper left of the second pic is where the filter resides. You can just barely see the hole in the first pic on the forward right of the car.

BTW - You can pick up some pretty inexpensive ramps, which work very well to get at it. I picked up some low angle plastic jobs that are very wide and hold 6000Lb's. Plenty for the Z, and makes me feel safe underneath.

If you just want to take a look at your filter, you should be able to use a mirror under the car to check it out.

HTH

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=5663
Old 10-07-2002, 07:45 AM
Michael-Dallas

Hey Brad,

Let me know if you need any help. I change my own oil (on the 300 and SE-R) so I've got the tools. I just need to find the proper jack point for the 350.

Did you pull the dipstick and check the oil level and oil color yet?

Michael.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:11 AM
droideka

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
Did you pull the dipstick and check the oil level and oil color yet?
Yes. I was checking it every five days or so and watched as it got dirtier. The new oil is definitely clean and sits right between the L and H marks on the dipstick. I can't believe I walked out of there with a quart and a half and didn't ask questions. My 3.2L CL-S ALWAYS took 5 quarts and I should've known better.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:14 AM
droideka

Originally posted by ksj
The large hole in the shield on the upper left of the second pic is where the filter resides. You can just barely see the hole in the first pic on the forward right of the car.
Thanks for the pics!
Old 10-07-2002, 11:00 AM
dougrace zs

We have changed the oil on 3 350s and they do take 5 quarts with the filter. The break in filter is white from the factory the replacement filter is blue from nissan, if the oil level is between the H & L then it is still a half quart low.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:04 AM
droideka

Originally posted by dougrace zs
We have changed the oil on 3 350s and they do take 5 quarts with the filter. The break in filter is white from the factory the replacement filter is blue from nissan, if the oil level is between the H & L then it is still a half quart low.
That is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for (blue vs. white filter). Thanks!!!

I called the dealership and they said they wouldn't even do an oil change without the filter change. Also said that the fill on the 3.5L is just under 5 quarts. I guess someone was in a bit of a hurry and didn't want to coax in that last half quart...
Old 10-07-2002, 12:23 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Maybe they checked the dip-stick before they ran the engine rather then after. That would account for 1/2 qt. +/-.