Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VIRGINIA BUYERS read this!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002 | 11:02 AM
Ricky
Banned

Default VIRGINIA BUYERS read this!!

Just talked to the dealership, asked them if they can avoid putting the license plate holder in the front bumper, they told me it was state law and in the state inspections, they check that. She said she'll try to find a way around it, but not sure if possible

My question is, any of you VA buyers get the car without the front license plate holder? Did you ask if possible to get without? Their response?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2002 | 11:24 AM
crashandburn420
Charter Member #05

Just moved back from Springfield, VA... bought a 2001 Civic from Landmark Honda in January 2001. Passed inspection w/o front license plate bracket. Bracket wasn't installed until plates came in to dealer. They can pass inspection without the bracket.
Old 10-08-2002 | 11:27 AM
Winkin

Yeah, it's state law here in VA...but I've had my 95 Altima for 3 years without a front liscense plate (holes don't line up right) and I've passed inspection every year. The drilled holes are there though

I've only been pulled over once (for speeding) and the cop didn't say anything about not having a front liscense plate so I assume they don't really care. No ticket tho...luckily he didn't have a radar gun up so he couldn't really do anything, and just told me to watch myself and let me on my way

I've passed over a thousand cops on the road and I'm sure a missing front liscense plate is pretty obvious, but they really don't seem to care. *knock on wood*

I don't see why the dealer wouldn't be able to just give you the car without them, if you "promised" to drill your own holes later. Not sure why the dealer would even care...
Old 10-08-2002 | 11:50 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

It's required in Va. but enforcement is up to the cop. It DOES give the officer "probable cause" to stop you just as if you were weaving or driving with your lights out. (Also driving with ANYTHING hanging from the rear view mirror is "probable cause")
Usually around here they give you a warning instead of a ticket the first time you're stopped so most would have this warning before a ticket was issued but it's really up to the officer.
Old 10-08-2002 | 01:33 PM
Z33

My dealer offered to take it off, after it had been mounted. Didn't see much point, and don't really care one way or the other.
Old 10-08-2002 | 03:55 PM
VaGentleman

Originally posted by Z33
My dealer offered to take it off, after it had been mounted. Didn't see much point, and don't really care one way or the other.

Ditto..I don't care..I have ThAAA Z!!! Front plate..rear plate..no matter...I Have Tha ZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

Yea!

VG
Old 10-08-2002 | 08:02 PM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

If you don't want the bracket put on tell them that you are planning to attach it some other way. I know some one pisted one way in the modivications forum
Old 10-09-2002 | 03:35 AM
mikersoft

I haven't had a front plate on my Exploder for more than two years. No problems during the inspections..(knock on wood)...

-Mike
Old 10-09-2002 | 05:47 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

You don't need plates at all to pass inspection as plates don't afftect the safetyof the vehicle. You'll notice when you go to pick up your Z it's already inspected yet not titled to you yet or tags
changed. It's just that the cop can pull you over and just might
only to see your car. This can lead to other things like if you had a beer or forgot to pay a ticket years ago, etc. If everything is squeeky clean you'll probably just get a warning - my technician got stopped a few weeks ago and just got a warning (her front plate had simply fallen off). If you have a perfect record and no bad habits I'd go for leaving the front plate off.
Old 10-09-2002 | 06:18 AM
ZOwl

I just got my Z delivered yesterday from Brown's Nissan in Sterling (highly recommended, those guys are awesome). The sales manager was super cool and he actually brought up the issue of the front license plate himself and asked if I wanted to have it put on. I kept it off, we'll see if I get any hassles from the police. If I do I can have it put on at any time.

It may be state law, but I don't think the dealership is required by law to place the plate on there. Think of it this way, they don't know (or care) what state you plan on registering the car in, so why would they force you to put the plate on?
Old 10-09-2002 | 06:40 AM
morganjd

Anyone know if we can get away with more than technically legal tint? Say 20%?

(not on windshield obviously)
Old 10-09-2002 | 06:56 AM
mydogscool

Bought my Z in Virginia. The dealer easily obliged in not affixing th front plate bracket. It resides in hte basment, where it belongs.
Old 10-09-2002 | 07:01 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

My daughter was stopped in her Acura that I bought from Florida
that has tint too dark. She was told to remove it which we did and she got no ticket. If the cop cannot see you looking at him because the film is too dark you're likely to be stopped. It's probably best to go with the darkest legal tint you can get away with - you won't have to have it done twice this way.