2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

SHIFT to Better Commercials?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 06:05 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHIFT to Better Commercials?

This is my 3rd Z (when I get it) and my fourth Nissan . . . I think Nissan's are great cars. BUT I really think they have lousy commercials, I think this SHIFT campaign is terrible. Nissan has great cars that are great looking...but instead of showing off their beautiful cars (Maximas, Altimas and of course ZZZZZss) most of the commercial is spent showing people standing around. This ad campaign reminds me of the awful Nissan ad campaign of the early 90s with the old guy holding a dog (I know the old guy was based on Mr. K, but I think that was lost on the car buying public). Those ads spent way too much time showing the old guy, and not enough time showing off their cars. Those ads were almost the straw on the camel's back that killed Nissan, I hope this new campaign works out better for Nissan than that one did, but I really wonder what they are thinking.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:09 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

i think what nissan is trying to show is change and being unique or different.

all the people are starring at what is new and different and what nissan hopes is the future.
and the commercials remind me of everyday driving they hit it right on the nose everyone turns and stares when i drive just like they portray in the commercial;
Old 10-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Gendo Ikari

I really like that Maxima commercial with the Susan Vega song where the dude keeps catching up to see the sunset over and over.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:23 PM
ToddLuc

Actually, I love the new commercials. They are mean't to be suggestive... not in your face. I love that approach. They are not the usual Corvette and Viper commercials. They make you wonder "what kind of cool car is that?"

Old 10-08-2002, 06:27 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by Gendo Ikari
I really like that Maxima commercial with the Susan Vega song where the dude keeps catching up to see the sunset over and over.
Actually, I do agree with you that I like that commercial, but that's because the car is the focus of the commercial, not people standing around.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:36 PM
Zay

Another good Nissan commercial was the 300ZX commercials with GI Joe, Ken, and Barbie... remember that one! I couldn't afford a Z back then! Ahh... the good old days.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:37 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I know is, I WANT A NEW BARBIE AND KEN COMMERCIAL.

my .02
Old 10-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the new commercials are OK, but I'd still like to see another version of the GI Joe commercials of the 300ZX. In this one however, a young GI Joe picks up Barbie in his new 350Z and as he pulls away from her Malibu house, he stops at a redlight and next to him is an older slightly gray GI Joe in the 300ZX. They pause, staring at each others cars, then they both give each other the "thumbs up" sign and speed off in different directions. I think that would be so cool!
Old 10-08-2002, 06:38 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

i remember that one a true classic
Old 10-08-2002, 06:41 PM
Zay

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
I think the new commercials are OK, but I'd still like to see another version of the GI Joe commercials of the 300ZX. In this one however, a young GI Joe picks up Barbie in his new 350Z and as he pulls away from her Malibu house, he stops at a redlight and next to him is an older slightly gray GI Joe in the 300ZX. They pause, staring at each others cars, then they both give each other the "thumbs up" sign and speed off in different directions. I think that would be so cool!
Looks like a few of us were thinking along the same lines. But, the good doctor took it to another level. Doc you're in the wrong field. You should be working on Madison Ave.. That's an awesome commercial idea!
Old 10-08-2002, 06:44 PM
rouxeny

Those "old guy with dog" commercials were good! The tagline, "Dogs like trucks." They were pretty highly acclaimed when they were out, and they sent Nissan in a new direction, which has led to the Xterra, Frontier, and now the Murano. Actually, I think a lot of people realized that the man was representative of Mr. K.

The GI Joe commercial is and always will be a classic. It'd be nice to see him reincorporated into the current generation. Especially if he steals Barbie from some guy with a Porsche.

I do like the new one with all the people staring, namely because driving the car is exactly like that.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:46 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
That's an awesome idea!

-TManZ, you can call me TJ
Old 10-08-2002, 06:52 PM
zPilott

I think a remake of this commercial would be great:
http://www.ttzd.com/movies/archive/280_02.html

or maybe a remake of this one, with the 350 next to maybe an S2k, TT and a boxter S
http://www.ttzd.com/movies/archive/280_11.html
Old 10-08-2002, 06:52 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The GI Joe commercial is and always will be a classic. It'd be nice to see him reincorporated into the current generation. Especially if he steals Barbie from some guy with a Porsche.
That is exactly how I pictured it! The old one had GI Joe stealing Barbi from Ken. In this one, as Joe pulls away, Ken pulls up (too late of course) in his Boxter!
Old 10-08-2002, 07:13 PM
wooglin

I like the current ads a lot!...they're teasers.

There will be plenty of ad showing the car zooming around in the near future. Be patient.