Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Had an idea...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Amnbex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had an idea...

This isn't really Z related... well... it might be.

Anyway, I was really bored today doing some stuff around the house, thinking about the Murano and other CVTed vehicles. Suddenly, I got an idea: right now there are CVTs which simulate "gears" by jumping around the CVT belt rather than smoothly moving along it.

What if a car company put out a CVT car in this style that allowed you to set your own gear ratios? I'm amazed no one's thought of it yet. Being able to put it into pure CVT mode for fuel economy, setting gears for max acceleration through a 1/4, 1/8, 1 mi track... so many possibilities.

You guys think I'm crazy?
Old 06-23-2004, 08:54 PM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm...interesting...
Old 06-23-2004, 09:17 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they do that by default. your throttle basicly says what RPM your gonna run at, max efficiency or max power, then it runs the gearing to accelerate.

but this doesnt work for sports cars, cause its weak, it can slip. its horribly inefficient as drivetrains go. its benefits would be far outweighed by its weaknesses. maybe theyll perfect it one day, but for now, its plaqued with weakness's.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:43 PM
elyliu

CVT can't handle a lot of HP. It isnt until these past couple years we started getting V6s w/ CVT (murano, A4s). Before it was strictly on Civics .....

in terms of efficiency, CVTs are very efficient since theoretically they have infinite gears, always in the most efficient gear.... Changin the fake shift points on CVT wouldnt do you any good since, it's most efficient in default mode (infinite gears). The fake gears is just to make people feel better....
Old 06-24-2004, 05:33 AM
Vlad

I'm not sure where sport cars started but it was 2 or 3 gears. Than came 4th, than 5th, 6th, 7th sometimes... The thing is that best gear ratio is infinite number of gears each tied for maximum power for certain speed. Since it's impossible with manual gearbox, they approximating it as close as they can with 6 gears lets say.

Now, CVT is actuall doing exactly that - infinite number of gears each one is optimized. Simulating gears on CVT is a sales trick. Same as auto triptronic trannies on a cars that will never see a race/need manual gear selection. It sells better and cost nothing.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:35 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by Vlad
I'm not sure where sport cars started but it was 2 or 3 gears. Than came 4th, than 5th, 6th, 7th sometimes... The thing is that best gear ratio is infinite number of gears each tied for maximum power for certain speed. Since it's impossible with manual gearbox, they approximating it as close as they can with 6 gears lets say.

Now, CVT is actuall doing exactly that - infinite number of gears each one is optimized. Simulating gears on CVT is a sales trick. Same as auto triptronic trannies on a cars that will never see a race/need manual gear selection. It sells better and cost nothing.

I imagine it's quite an easy to build in a program for your own gear ratios selection on CVT. But it's useless for sport cars since CVT original smooth behaviour is the fastest setup.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:48 AM
zzz350

Vlad, you list all the weight saving you have done to the car, why stop there, go on a diet. drop 20 or 30 lbs. and list that also, teehee!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Vlad

hmm... you not going to believe it but I'm thinking about adding this to the list. For last 2 months I'm jogging every moning mon-fri, and I bought myself a crossbow machine and working out at least 3 times a week. I also choose my food wisely now. I lost 8lbs so far. I won't be able to loose 30lbs since I wasnt overweight to begin with, but 15 is probably possible. Should I list it?
Old 06-24-2004, 07:21 AM
Vlad

Wow! 118.5 is more than my wife weights (113)!