Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Test Drive to the MAX!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 05:38 PM
Z&Jet-Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive to the MAX!

So, today I'm at the dealer looking at another Z (LeMans with Burnt Orange) and discussing when mine should be in (yes, still undecided on the color issue, for those following my LeMans saga) and I see them giving demo rides in a Z.

So I say, how about me? I ordered one here months ago and I have not driven one yet. Well the nice fellow there gives me the keys to a CS Touring 6MT and off I go without the salesman!

One look at the odometer and the car has 1300 miles on it so I head for the twisties I know in the area.

Having owned two NSX's (among numerous other cars) I let her rip!! And I mean rip! Shifts at 5500, full bore in the turns (was that the rear end coming around), hard shifting and hard breaking! Scared the ***** out of my passenger!

Well everything you have read on this message board is correct! The thing hauls, does not feel like it going as fast as it is and really hugs the road.

I could go on and on but let's just say this! It's a real sports coupe and the Z3 I flew by is still probably wondering...WHAT WAS THAT!!.

Now I can break mine in correctly (and sanely).
Old 10-09-2002, 06:36 PM
rai

You're my hero. The NSX is my favorite car, in fact I am buying the Z in leu of an NSX, because 1) I can't afford a new model, and 2)I had head room issues on my one brief test drive of an NSX.

ANY WAY, what's it feel like in relation to the NSX?
Z = tourque but 5500 shifts
NSX = less torque, but 8000 rpm shifts.

Here's my question, if you could have the choice of the NSX 290hp 3.2L engine instead if the nissan 287 hp. In the Z what would you chose?

Old 10-09-2002, 07:01 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Like RAI, I am interested in your impressions... since you sounded so thrilled at the Z's performance (and like RAI... NSX rates up there on my top 5 list)....
Old 10-09-2002, 09:15 PM
Z&Jet-Pilot

The Z is different from the NSX, that's for sure!

A lot of it comes from the drivers seat position in relation to the overall car. Also, the NSX was a true rear mid-engine while the Z is a front-mid-engine (but not my much). Also, the 'view' is considerably different and this makes it difficult to directly compare.

The whole power feels real different. The NSX V-teck engine reacts quite diffferently than the Z. I would have to say (from this brief drive) that the NSX is faster! Now before anyone jumps over me, remember this is how it feels, not a clock type measurement. They could actually be even but the Z feels more sedate! I did have the TCS/VDC on and that could make a very big difference!!

Another description would be the Z is easier to drive fast! The NSX took some getting used to while I just jumped it this a could really make it perform 'right out of the box". (Perhaps due to the VDC again!)

The Z would make a much better daily driver as well. Each drive in the NSX feels like a race but this car is more user friendly.

Which would I perfer? Depends. From ease of daily use, the Z wins! As a 'race' car, the NSX certainly wins on that count. The NSX also wins on shear design impact.

But let's face it, the NSX (new) is about 50,000 more! For 50K one should get something for their money!
Old 10-10-2002, 04:34 AM
Z&Jet-Pilot

Originally posted by Matt
i'm sorry, i've seen all kinds of butcherings of 'VTEC' but i've never seen it spelled 'V-teck' before... and you've owned not 1, but 2 nsx's..
Sorry, it was very late when I posted that. You are right, that's quite a butcher job. It's VTEC.

And yes, I did own two, which has nothing to do with my ability to spell!
Old 10-10-2002, 05:21 AM
rai

Damn the NSX is pricy, I could get a 350Z track AND a Boxster S or M3. that is 2 cars for the price of one. And the M3 is probably as fast.

Mut the NSX is the best looking of the three.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:56 AM
HouZton

On your test drive did you turn the VDC and traction control off? If not, go back and ask for another test drive, without the salesman, and turn them off.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:53 AM
roberto350z

yeah, when you wheel spin, its weird cuz the car feels like it has no power due to TCS power cut back
Old 10-10-2002, 11:27 AM
Z&Jet-Pilot

Originally posted by HouZton
On your test drive did you turn the VDC and traction control off? If not, go back and ask for another test drive, without the salesman, and turn them off.
See above!

I did have the TCS/VDC on and that could make a very big difference!!
Old 10-10-2002, 01:05 PM
HouZton

Sorry I just read through your first post and not the 2nd or 3rd.

So the other part of my statement is valid. Go drive it again with TCS and VDC off.

Greg