Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

1st oil change- worried about dealer abuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 01:34 AM
black zebra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st oil change- worried about dealer abuse

I wonder if anyone can help me. Reading some threads on this forum, I am increasingly worried that my new baby will be abused during its first oil change. I'm worried that a tech will use this opportunity to joyride in my car.

What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen? I don't want to go overboard but at the same time, I want to make sure that a tech won't "drive it like he stole it."

I don't want my new car to leave the dealer lot, that's all. I just want it driven to the service bay and then parked when it's finished. What can I do to ensure this?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:41 AM
LinkNuc

Your dealer will not let this happen if its reputable, if not, well I'd push the envelope and hang around, ask to watch, etc. If you suspect any of this make a note of your odometer readings and compare the two when you get it back you should see no more difference than .5 miles. If you see a major difference ask why.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:46 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if there is more than .5 miles, they will just say that they always take the car out to "test it out" and its standard prodedure. Dont worry though as i doubt they will damage the car. If there is more than a mile or two, you should really get pissed and make a scene in the showroom.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:48 AM
roydiculous

These techs service tons of 350Zs. It's not like we are driving Porsche GTs or Enzos in which case I think EVERY tech would try to take it for a spin and romp on it.

Besides, if the tech does romp on the car a little bit (though highly unlikely), who cares? It's a sports car!

There are guys that say they take the car to redline during everyday driving all the time... lol...

If you are worried about them scratching your car (especially those dealers that give free washes and you have a superblack)... then I'd tell them not to wash the car or anything and just do the service.

If you are really that concerned, do it yourself!
Old 06-28-2004, 05:29 AM
350zSpeedRacer

If you're worried about your dealer's reputation, pull in and let them watch you write down your milage. It's a subtle hint that usually gets the point across. But if you've got a good dealer (I know, that almost sounds like an oxy moron), don't even worry about it. Just be nice to the service manager and techs and you should be fine.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:40 AM
MIAPLAYA

Read this... https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=80676 just happened to me... I'd say that you ask/demand to let you watch your car start to finish..
Old 06-28-2004, 10:32 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is simple.

Call the Service Manager & explain your concern....including posts on net sites. Tell him you will record your milage & you just want to ensure no added miles are added to your car. 99.8 out of 100 people will understand if you calmly explain.

It is a remote possibility you would have a problem in the first place.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:09 PM
black zebra

Thqnks for the replies. I will take the common sense advice offered here. Altough I know the Z is a sports car, I still take care to warm the engine up before I punch it. There's a good possibility my engine would already be warmed up before a tech took it out, but then again, maybe not.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:31 PM
NzZ

Default Re: 1st oil change- worried about dealer abuse

Black Zebra,

Your paranoia is not unwarranted...the techs at the dealer drive the cars like hell. I know b/c I always reset my MPG computer and it comes back with 12-13mpg. Unfortunately that's life. I seriously doubt the few miles they drive it per year are going to damage the car. If the problem does bother you that much, you need to learn to change your own oil. In the end that isn't much cheaper, and depending on your skills can be a PITA.

NzZ
Old 06-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Dissolved

Everyone worries about this. I say just drop it off and forget about it. Or start changing your oil yourself. They wont damage the car in those few miles. Car has a rev limiter and they are only driving it short distances.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Dustin4u

hehe its a $30,000 car...not $100,000. Like someone said....they see them everyday.

Don't worry about it.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:40 PM
islandsnow

I have never seen a dealer drive the car around the block for an oil change. Some dealers will have 30min-1hr or less or free signs, take it to a dealer with one of these, they won't take the car around the block. Just check the car well after the oil change though, i had an oil leak, dealer claims it wasn't them, but it happened right after the oil change. They fixed it for free (which they should) but i'm still suspicious since they said it came from a loose hose clamp on the oil cooler, which is suspicious since the Z oil cooler uses the radiator coolant to cool the oil, not like a normal oil cooler. Anyways, just check the car after and everything should be all right.