Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got back from VIR

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 06:59 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got back from VIR

.... and I was the only Z there... everyone was drooling over it and I was asked many of questions...

Photos from VIR North... only a few though..

Learned a lot about my car, and it has a lot of potential... understeer is a problem, but I was able to get a lot of well balanced action going on in teh twisties... more details to come later...

And a hot chick from the track that was drooling over my car (rear-end shot )

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...f/fd2bde81.jpg

Last edited by John; 10-13-2002 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:07 PM
John

My friend and his father run the 944 Cup... so I was camped out over there and helping them wherever I could (my friend threw a rod bearing after Lap 1 unfortuantely)
Old 10-13-2002, 08:26 PM
Michael-Dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome pics! I can't wait to take mine to the track. Did you experience the understeer w/ the VDC on or off?

Michael.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:35 AM
jmark

VIR is a great track. I plan on coming up for the WC race in a couple of weeks. Might have my Z by then!
Old 10-14-2002, 03:57 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Default VIR

I was looking at a VIR site last night.. it doesn't look they have 'open' track much. Summitt Point looks like it has more open days, am I right?

Do you have to be a full licensed SCCA driver to run at VIR?

I'm casually looking at places where you can run the car fast and 'legal'
Old 10-14-2002, 04:05 AM
VaGentleman

Default Re: Hey

Originally posted by Robert333
Hey I live in Northern VA, where is that track you went too? The only one I know of is MIR in MD.
It's not quite in the neighborhood...it's in Alton, Va. located between Emporia and Danville.

You can check it out at http://www.virclub.com/

VG
Old 10-14-2002, 05:10 AM
mcclaskz

What did you think of the re040's? I went to Deal's Gap this weekend after taking my Z to the petite Le Mans at RoadAtlanta and I pushed the car to the limit of the tires. I thought the tires were horrible. With tcs/vdc off the tires were so loud (screeching). I found no roll in suspension, but the tires when pushed, lost adhesion in very tight cornering. My brother in law had a 93' rx7 in front of my with nitto's on and they didn't make one sound. I hopefully will go with a wider wheel and tire combo, just wanted to know what you thought of the tires and their impact on understeer.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:29 AM
John

OK, to answer the many questions...

Tracks in the DC area... MIR is a drag strip, not a track. The closest tracks to DC area Summit Point (<90 min, just across the border in WV), VIR (near Danville), and Beaver Run (near Pittsburg).

Yes, the car understeered... I accidentally left the VDC on for a session and the instructor said "what the hell is that jerk?" I turned it off. The rear end takes some effort to get out, but the car is very planted under full throttle in a turn (handling is near neutral). I wish I could get the car to rotate more, and the tires could definitely be stickier. However, I will say that the RE040s are a good learning tire, as they give a lot of feedback and make a lot of noise as they reach the edge of their traction.

No, you don't have to have a provisional race lisence. While there were races held this weekend, you can sign up for a driving school where you ride with an instructor. I recommend NASA over SCCA, since they have a MUCH better safety record.

If you're interested in trying one of these track days, check out your local regions NASA chapter, and look at their schedule for available HPDEs... many fill up months in advance, so plan accordingly.