Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Impressed a Porsche Owner Tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 08:20 PM
Michael-Dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressed a Porsche Owner Tonight...

Background: my good friend and shootin' buddy has a 993 Turbo. He attends many driving events in it as well as instructs and races a spec RX-7 in NASA and SCCA. He comes from a 91 300ZX Twin Turbo so he knows how the Z32 is like in regard to overall [modded] performance.

We went to dinner tonight and he asked if my 350 was past the break-in so he could test drive it. Knowing how "brutal" he is w/ his 993 Turbo, I told him he could drive it, but if he broke it, his 993 is mine. He agreed and I handed over the keys.

After a 5th gear redline, an 80-20 stop, a high speed highway curve, and numerous short speed off-camber turns, he's impressed. His only complaints: he wanted a slightly louder engine/exhaust note, faster engine revs (I'm thinking a lightweight flywheel or an adjustment to the drive-by-wire throttle system could fix that), and wider rims/tires to fill the wheel wells. He did comment that the ABS kicked in a little late, but that's the way he likes it, and the VDC caused a little more understeer than he cared for -- it kinda freaked him out.

Exterior-wise, he likes the 911 & TT-like lines. Interior-wise he absolutely loves the gauge layout -- the fuel/temp - tach -speedo layout is identical to his 993. I pointed out how many think the 350 interior quality isn't up to par to BMW or Audi and he didn't seem concerned about it.

This same person told me not too long ago that I should never buy a Porsche [911], because once I make that move, I'll never want anything else. Now, once his warranty on his 993 ends next June, he's SERIOUSLY thinking about selling the 993 and leasing a 350 Track for a couple of years until the next 911 comes out. Go figure.

Anyway, just figured you guys like to know.

Michael.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:04 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehehe...a soon to be Z Convert, this way comes.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:30 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

michael:

were you at stonebriar on saturday around 5-6pm? parked out by foley's? if so, you would do better parking your car closer rather than farther... there was a Z all alone at the end of a row, and EVERYONE was stopping to look inside...

i saw this over 30 minutes while getting soem tweaks to my system at tweeter...

just a heads up. parking in the boonies has its dangers also....

m

ps we scared 2 kids off who were literally hands cupped on the glass, looking inside..
Old 10-13-2002, 10:39 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default smiles just keep coming !!

Michael... great post .. and nice endorsement...

and as noted by SkiDaZZle.. it's going to take awhile for the celebrity status to end.. which is nice.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:51 AM
Michael-Dallas

Nope, that twas not I. And I'd be damned if I parked at the mall or movie theater. If I have to park anywhere for long periods of time, then I'm taking the SE-R or the g/f's car.

Michael.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:58 PM
Old Skooler

Dammit, I never see any of you guys when I'm up visiting my girlfriend, it's funny, we'll be riding in her Z3 and I'm just looking around for 350Z's and I haven't seen one in Dallas yet! Ah well, I'll have mine soon.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:40 AM
rai

I am also going to look at the next gen 911. This current one is nice but looks too much like the Boxster. I know porsche isn't a BIG company so they have to share components. Using 911 parts (or close to it) on the boxster was a good idea for the boxster (to bring it up in status), but at the same time they may have brought the 911 down in status.

I know this guy with a 911 turbo (2001). the funny thing is to go from a 911 S4 (same body as the turbo) to a turbo, adding like 100 hp, it costs like $36K (the price of a track 350Z).

I'm not saying it's not worth it, But think about this. A car is modified somewhat adding about 100hp. and the upgrade costs as much as a WHOLE other car.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:43 AM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by rai
I am also going to look at the next gen 911. This current one is nice but looks too much like the Boxster. I know porsche isn't a BIG company so they have to share components. Using 911 parts (or close to it) on the boxster was a good idea for the boxster (to bring it up in status), but at the same time they may have brought the 911 down in status.
You know where the parts sharing came from eh? From what I've heard, when Porsche was in the red, they hired engineers/consultants from Toyota. And it was those guys that brought that concept to them.

In my own observations, is it just coincidence that a Toyota MR-2 Spyder looks like a mini-Boxster?

Appearance-wise, I think the 993 is the best-looking 911. Also last of the air-cooled engines too.

I'm not saying it's not worth it, But think about this. A car is modified somewhat adding about 100hp. and the upgrade costs as much as a WHOLE other car.
FWIW, it costs MUCH less to bring a Supra TT or a 300ZX TT from 300hp to 400hp. Try < $2k.

I'd still take the 911 though.

Michael.