Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How many 17 year olds own a 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 04:09 PM
jun14scr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15k! holy shiet. my parents only put down around 5k.

at age 15 my parents bought me a '01 330i. now a family beater car still my baby though.. i went to carmax, and they only offered 19k for it! outrageous.

anywho.. hijack.. i really want to pick up a 1989 240sx in good condition. <5k? thats all i can afford unmodded. anybody know where i can get one? can't seem to find any in my area. would love to put the 5k into the z but i'm dying to have an s13 converted 240!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
ChromeSilva350

Originally posted by cat2102
I think that a 17 yr old that goes out of his way to announce to the whole forum that HE bought the car and that HE is 17 is just screaming, (my parents bought it, but I don't want people to think I am spoiled or can't earn it myself)
there is no problem with your parents having bought the car, show them some respect for getting it for you.
I'm not totally doubting the statement, but at 17, I can't see any other way you payed for the car yourself unless you sell something illegal...

or you can enlighten us on what kind of job you have to allow you to do that, do you not attent HS? do you play any sports? If you did, you would barely be able to work a part time job which, if you found one to pay you that much $$$, please, let everyone else on the mysterious money making secret! just isn't plausable if you ask me...

Also, if you WERE making that much money, you obviously aren't smart enough to save it.. cause if you waited a few years, you would have money invested, money to buy a car, and money you are still making... which equals alot more monthly income.

or maybe I am just saying all this because I am jealous, um, no not really, I had a 99 Turbo eclipse when I was 15, a 2000 trans am w/ ram air when I was 16, and a 97 toyota supra TT when I was 17, by the age of 18 my parents felt I was responsable enough to buy my own things, so I went without a car for 2 years, making money, saving money and finally 1 month ago, I was able to reward myself with a 2004 BASE Z.

I was very fortunate that my parents bought these cars for me, yes I was spoiled, but only with cars, I come from a enthusiast car family so it just happened that way, BUT I atleast credited and thanked my parents for the cars, instead of trying to look even COOLER by saying I bought it myself...

Sorry just pis*es me of when kids don't have any respect for what their parents do for them...:/
Okay, first of all I am paying for the car myself. I earn 200 dollars a week, about 700-800 a month. The car will cost me 655 a month. I put 15000 on my down payment, half of the down payment was my parents. And yes, I did thank them for it, and I will pay them back when I am done paying for my car for 2 years.
Also, no I do not sell drugs and other stuff on your mind. I've had my job for a year already so I am making decent money an hour for someone my age.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:15 PM
ChromeSilva350

Originally posted by kcobean
Hey Cat,
While I'm totally in agreement here with everything you've said, I would like to point one thing out.

When I was 16 (16 years ago!), I got my first job working at Taco Bell. I worked about 25 hours a week, and still managed to keep a decent GPA and even do some extracurricular school activities. I didn't have a whole lot of free time, but I would have been able to make a $400/month car payment if it was THAT important to me. So yeah, I won't doubt that he makes the car payments, but for those of us faced with the adult world, that just doesn't mean much.

I still don't see the point of the post, and it does appear as he's looking for a chance to ego-trip. The only reason he can afford the car is because he has no responsibilities in life that many of us "grown-ups" have. That's why he's getting flamed. I've proposed a "finances section" where posts like this can be moved to so that those of us who are tired of seeing them don't have to anymore. I sincerely hope that Vic sees fit to create it. Let him know you think it's a good idea here:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=82909

Oh, and thanks for your input on the Vizage body kit. Mine is on the way from RCC in a week or two!!! I originally ordered from elsewhere (you know where that is) but I got a "warning shot) from Vizage that made me change my mind and order from RCC.
Okay, I already answered to Cat. I told him that I AM paying for my Z on my own. My parents helped me put down about 7000 dollars with my 7000 for my down payment. And now I am paying 655 a month for my car for 2 years. I have a nice job and a nice life with a loving family. They are paying for my insurance but I make about 800 dollars a month.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:27 PM
maxdriverwantsZ

one post would be plenty bud
Old 07-22-2004, 04:32 PM
engiNERD350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: How many 17 year olds own a 350z?

Originally posted by ChromeSilva350
I make about 200 dollars a week sometimes more but I am not paying for insurance. So yes I am buying it myself. I put 15000 thousand dollars down as my down payment, I paid half for the down payment and my parents paid for the rest. 2 years will cost me 655 a month, and I make 800 a month.
I made over $1000 this week with my internship, whats your point?

Not trying pick at numbers, but that leaves you with $145 a month.

Gas: $15/week x 4.333 weeks/year = $65/month

Which then gives you $80/month. Now this doesn't cover oil changes(considering that you do your own change), tires, batteries, brakes, speeding tickets, and other things that aren't covered by warrantee. This probably leaves you in the negative realm already, and in addition, you're on your way to be the true definition of a "poor college student."

Even though I'm making the money I am:

$650/mth car payments
$120/mth insurance
$60/mth gas
+ all that other crap I mentioned

It still makes me go

This thread should be titled "HOW MANY 17 YR OLDS OWN A 350Z WITH THEIR PARENTS PAYING EVERYTHING BUT CAR PAYMENTS"

Last edited by engiNERD350Z; 07-22-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

Wow dude, 800 bucks a month is NO where near being able to afford this car with payments like that. Damn if you put 15k down and your paying 650 a month, how many years did you are you paying for this? Because thats a crazy amount for anything less than 2-3 years with what you put down.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Nforce1

I thank my parents every day for my car! I love my car and I love my parents too! There would be NO way that I would be able to afford a 350Z... I dont have a job, I wouldnt be able to afford a shoe if I wanted one.... So many thanks goes to God and my parents for everything that I have!
Old 07-22-2004, 05:13 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God this thread has gotten pathetic.....
Old 07-22-2004, 06:41 PM
damaster32

I LIKE TACO's
Old 07-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Chicken

I think ChromeSilva actually may have erroneously thought that somehow he was a resourceful teenager paying his own way, when in reality this thread is more about his parent's weath and them taking care of him.

There's nothing wrong with mom and dad taking care of you, heck it's what many of us would like to be able to do for our children. The reason everyone knows they are taking care of you (aside from them giving you $7,000 down, paying your insurance, and nearly all your other needs in life), is that they actually allowed you to spend $655 out of the $800 you make a month on a car, instead of investing it, or buying real estate Apparently they plan to take care of you for some time, which is (again) okay.

All 17 year olds need to take a class in investing. At least look on the web...

http://www.tcalc.com/tvwww.dll?User?...m&Cstm=farmers

See what happens to $26,000 (your $7,000 down, plus $800/mo. for two years) in 50 years.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Zcool

Default Re: Re: Re: How many 17 year olds own a 350z?

I make about 200 dollars a week sometimes more but I am not paying for insurance. So yes I am buying it myself. I put 15000 thousand dollars down as my down payment, I paid half for the down payment and my parents paid for the rest. 2 years will cost me 655 a month, and I make 800 a month.

Sorry, your explanation is not good enough to claim that you are buying the car yourself. Why don't you just admit that you have generous parents and show them some respect by publicly acknowledgeing that fact. Did you earn that $15k for the down payment? I don't think so. Most likely another gift you have failed to acknowlege and to thank the benefactor.

There is nothing wrong in getting a Z at your age and only paying for part of it or even none of it. I just take exception to the deception your initial post tried to pull.

Enjoy your Z, Drive safely and stay in school.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Pusha_Z

okay heres the explanation; he works for his dad, at his dad's company, where he gets paid $200 a week to do absolutely nothing.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:54 AM
ChromeSilva350

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How many 17 year olds own a 350z?

Originally posted by Zcool
Sorry, your explanation is not good enough to claim that you are buying the car yourself. Why don't you just admit that you have generous parents and show them some respect by publicly acknowledgeing that fact. Did you earn that $15k for the down payment? I don't think so. Most likely another gift you have failed to acknowlege and to thank the benefactor.

There is nothing wrong in getting a Z at your age and only paying for part of it or even none of it. I just take exception to the deception your initial post tried to pull.

Enjoy your Z, Drive safely and stay in school.
Except you don't know me and I've been saving since I've started working. Like I said I paid for HALF of my down payment. If you really don't think that I'm paying for my car, guess what? I don't care. Do you know why? Because I'm the one that's living my life not you and I know what I'm doing.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:00 AM
ChromeSilva350

Originally posted by Pusha_Z
okay heres the explanation; he works for his dad, at his dad's company, where he gets paid $200 a week to do absolutely nothing.
Except not.. you don't know me, so why talk s**t
Old 07-23-2004, 06:25 AM
engiNERD350Z

You pay ONE car payment of which half the downpayment wasn't even yours. BIG DEAL. Quite a few teenagers can come up with $200/week if they work hard enough. When you pay for a car, car insurance, a house, home insurance, gas, water, electricity, food, phone, and all the other expenses of "real" life, then we'll get you the award. Just my $0.02 on why everyone's crapping on you about you bragging on how you "pay for your own Z."

Last edited by engiNERD350Z; 07-23-2004 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:30 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

I hate threads like these, somebody plzzzzzzzzzzzz just close it. There is so much I want to say, and there is so much everyone else wants to say. But since we're all thinking the same things inside of our heads, there's no need to voice our thoughts.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:35 AM
Th3Cleaner

Hell yeah im goin to college! I need a better job, a better future.
I would figure all you care about in your future is living a 1/4 mile at a time. and for those 14 sec your totaly FREE from all the hassles in the world..

LOL
Old 07-23-2004, 06:38 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How many 17 year olds own a 350z?

Except you don't know me and I've been saving since I've started working. Like I said I paid for HALF of my down payment. If you really don't think that I'm paying for my car, guess what? I don't care. Do you know why? Because I'm the one that's living my life not you and I know what I'm doing.
I think you've really hit the nail on the head with your last couple of sentences. It IS your life, you're living it, and everyone is cool with that. You're getting heat from everyone because people aren't concerned with how old you are, who pays for your car, or how you pay for it. In the end, all of that has nothing to do with the car, which is what we come here to talk about. In addition (and this is just a little history for you about the site in case you're new to it), there have been SOOOOO many threads about "Hi, I'm 12 years old and my mommy and daddy just bought me a Z" that we're just tired of hearing it, it's not just you.

It's cool that you make your payments, and it's really cool that you had the discipline to earn and save up 7K of your downpayment. I don't think it's unreasonable that your parents kicked in half. Just rememer that when you come here bragging (and I know that's not what you were doing, but that's how it comes across, right or wrong) most of us have far more responsibility than you do, so we're naturally unimpressed. Don't take it the wrong way. Many teenagers have gotten flamed far worse than you have. I'd say all in all, you've kept your cool pretty well.

Hang in there, and if you're ever up in the Reston area, let me know. I'm not too far away. There are a number of us up Fairfax County Pkwy from you. We can go cruisin'.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:44 AM
engiNERD350Z

Originally posted by EnthuZiastDrive
I hate threads like these, somebody plzzzzzzzzzzzz just close it. There is so much I want to say, and there is so much everyone else wants to say. But since we're all thinking the same things inside of our heads, there's no need to voice our thoughts.
I agree. I apologize to this board for adding to the thread.

kcobean - I think you've said exactly what everyone was thinking. Thanks!

Last edited by engiNERD350Z; 07-23-2004 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:54 AM
DBZCat

can we stop now?

Oh yeah, BTW, I am a GIRLY GIRL!

Quick Reply: How many 17 year olds own a 350z?