Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How much damage is a license bracket worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:05 PM
3502GO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much damage is a license bracket worth?

I told my dealer not to install the Bracket, they said no, we never install the brackets. I received it today from the truckline and the bracket was installed. The dealer said that the truckline installed it because when it left, there was no bracket installed.

The dealer said they would take care of me on this issue. What do you guys think is a proper resolution?

I think $1500 is good but obivously they will not fork out that kind of money since it could be replaced/repainted for $500, the problem is that the paint will not be factory if repainted. I plan on keeping this for 15 years at least and hate the thought of bumper plugs or repaint so thats why I can justify $1500.

I offered the dealer my bumper back and I would wait for another redline to come in for a swap, they declined. I told them I would be more than happy to return the Z, they said they are going to call the truckline and get back to me which was 3 hours ago.

What do you think?
Old 10-16-2002, 12:08 PM
3502GO

New development, I decided to call the truck driver because the dealer was blaming it on him. He said, he just got off the phone with the dealer, he told them that he didn't remember seeing a bracket but he wasn't looking for one, he was only inspecting for damage. The MF'ing dealer tried to get him to sign something stating that there was NO bracket at time of delivery. WTF, I was very level headed at first, only mildly upset because I realize this is just a car and its not the end of the world. BUT NOW I'M PISSED, these guys are trying to weasel out of liability for mounting the bracket. I told them I need this resolved within 3 hours, he said he will get back to me and he was only trying to get to the bottom of things. Yeah right, I think its obvious why he was trying to get the driver to sign a paper stating NO BRACKET.

What do you think now?
Old 10-16-2002, 12:20 PM
3rdpower

This is the same type of ******** I'm dealing with my dealer. I told them specifically not to install it and they did. Now they said they'd fix it with plugs, however, I'm contemplating if that's even acceptable. I'm very irritated about it. The dealer pawned off the responsibility to the service department and they of course screwed up completely. I'm going to head to the hardware store to see if I can find a creative way of fixing it.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:17 PM
3502GO

UPDATE

Dealer says he is very very sorry, a technician saw that the plate wasn't installed so he took liberty to installing it himself.

The dealer now says he will Order another Redline and switch bumper covers in a couple months

or

Send me an unpainted bumper and pay the bill to repaint plus $500.

I think these resolutions are more than fair, I wonder if a Redline 4 months from now would match? If not, we would both be screwed.

I think I may go for bumper plugs and ask for a $900 compensation check
Old 10-16-2002, 06:39 PM
integraowner

Default seattle people

are you seattle people leaving your front plate off altogether, or just not using the Nissan supplied bracket?

My dealership wasn't putting the front bracket on any of their Z's.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:36 PM
ksj

No front plate. I carry the bracket and the plate, along with some black tie-wraps in case a cop tries to give me a ticket. I've put the plate on the frame and I'll just tell him I was waiting for an alternative from Nissan, then use the method that k2we describes with pictures here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=8309

Hopefully that satisfies him and I go along my merry way...

Edit: Hmmm, wrong link... I thought I saw a similiar set-up with tie-wraps so you avoid the holes entirely, but anyway, that's my plan...

Last edited by ksj; 10-16-2002 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:46 PM
3rdpower

I went to the dealer today and huh... I had the front plate mount taken off and low and behold the damn plate had scratched the front bumper. Well I'm headed to the dang shop to get the car estimated and looked at. I'm planning on speaking to the shop about fixing the damn holes as well however (dealer doesn't know this yet

I'm planning on pawning off the costs just like the above referenced
Old 10-16-2002, 08:36 PM
twinzz

DAMN! Reading this is making me pissed. When I got my car, the dealer was told not to put on the bracket. I was so happy just getting the car that I didn't mention it or notice. When I got home and took the bracket off, there were the 2 holes, PLUS 2 more little scratches from the plate screws.

At first the salesguy said, "No problem, we'll make it right." A couple days later, the story was changed to "I'm sorry, if you want anything done, take it to our bodyshop. Our owner was upset that you bought the car for MSRP, and felt we left money on the table." I kinda just dropped the issue, since I didn't want to drive to Utah to get it fixed. I was also nervous about getting it repainted.

Seeing how you guys got it fixed and compensated for it...I'm wondering how to go about this.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:22 PM
3502GO

Damn, I just took my plate off, it has scratches behind the bracket as well. Thats a **** poor design by Nissan, not only does the bracket require holes, it also scratches the paint. I guess I may option for them to send me a new bumper and have it repainted, that is the only way to get it right without returning the Z. I only hope that I can find a body shop that is capable of spraying a factory quality coat of paint on the new bumper.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:50 PM
hotshoe22

I had my car for less than 24 hours when it was "attacked" by an infamous shopping cart while parked out in the middle of the parking lot, no one around. It received 4 scratches near the curve by the left front turn signal, two of which were deep enough to go completely through the paint into the plastic underneath.
I won't go into my reactions in this post since that is not the point, but needless to say $#@%$% &^%$#@#%.

I took it to my favorite detail shop who in turn recommended a local collision repair shop with a great reputation. I talked to the manager, who, after shaking his head a lot and calling out the entire staff to see the the gorgeous car, said "no problem, we can take of it". He took me on a tour of their facility, top notch all the way, and showed me their paint database, which already had the formulation for the Silverstone in it. I asked him if they would fill the bumper mounting holes while they were at it and again, no problem.

I dropped it off this past Monday and picked it up today. It is absolutely gorgeous! You simply cannot see where the damage was and the bumper holes are gone! The paint match is absolutely perfect.
They charged me $329.00 to repair and spot paint the damage and bumper holes, and then clear-coated the entire bumper cover, baked it and remounted it ( they removed the entire cover so they could spray the Clearcoat)
I guess what I am saying is that it is possible to match the paint and get some minor repairs done if you check around. I live in a town of 50,000 people and we have an awesome body shop. There are others around I am sure.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:20 PM
alex100

are you seattle people leaving your front plate off altogether, or just not using the Nissan supplied bracket?

I'm buying my car from seattle area... i didnt know that front plates weren't required in washington state.... clarify this for me? i take delivery sometime in end of december/early january...

enthusiast
chrome metallic
splash guards
trunk/floor mats.
aero pkg
Old 10-17-2002, 09:04 PM
3502GO

If its not one thing, its another, Now my buddy was driving my new 350Z and he smashed a 4 legged coon! I guess next week might be a Beaver or possibly a ferret. Luckily no damage was incurred but man I felt bad for the coon!
Old 10-18-2002, 12:15 PM
alex100

just learned that in state of WA you must have a front drivers license.. its the law..
Old 10-18-2002, 05:15 PM
3502GO

Default Un-Fuggin Believable!!

Now my salesman at Peak Nissan says that he never said that he would compensate me with the above offers, he says he replied with "that sounds reasonable" but he cannot gaurantee anything and that I will have to talk to the owner on Monday(after my 3 day right of recission, of course). The terrible thing is that I have him on my voice mail stating that he would credit me $900 today, which he didn't and now deny's he said. What an idiot, he stated in the voicemail his name and details and now he says it never happened.

So, I faxed the SOB's a letter stating I was refusing delivery of the car unless compensation is made and called Nissan and filed a complaint. We did a conference call with Nissan and the salesman, he now says, they want the car back and they are not going to do anything for me. Can you believe this shiat! I told him that I would give it back after they compensate me $1000 for the time and efforts of taking delivery and such since I am from Missouri and he is from Colorado. After I replied with this offer, he says I will have to talk to the owner but they will not give me a dime if they take the car back.

Does anyone know where another Redline Performance or Enthusiast is that I can purchase? I would love to shove this car back up there *** and purchase from someone else so any help is appreciated.

I am going to post the voicemail on here and all names if they end up screwing me over. I will post it on every Nissan sight I can find and email the sales, owner and management links so they can see everyones response. Damn, I feel like a severely abused Lawyer with a full three days of stress over a couple of screw holes in my bumper!!! Its not about the damage now, its about winning the war between good and evil!!!!
Old 10-19-2002, 02:04 AM
FrankieZZ

It's too bad this is such an issue. The plate needs to be in front of the grille. However , I could live with it on the bumper if I could just get my car in .Install it over if you can on the grille .Drill the two holes on either side of the tow hook insert . It will look great .

Still waiting in NH for my Silverstone since May !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!