2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

300ZX vs 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 05:58 PM
blueTorontoZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 300ZX vs 350Z

Originally posted by Zcarboy
I am just wondering since some of you have driven or even own both of these cars 300ZX and 350Z which one you like best and why?

Having owned both - I much prefered the interior of my 95 300ZTT but for hands down fun I'll tkae my new 04 350Z any day. Both were/are stock and I think the 350 handles more repsonsively but I do miss the turbo kick in the pants.

Does anyone know if Nissan is going to offer a turbo 350 in the coming years?
Old 08-06-2004, 09:19 PM
7 eleven

I've driven both and the 300ZX TT does seem heavier. As for power the 350Z has alot more potential.

With the 300ZX TT guys would do intake exhaust and a JWT Chip and get a little over 300 rwhp like 315ish. and they were running around 15psi of boost. On my Z with the Greddy kit set to 5psi and a full exhaust I'm making 362rwhp.

As far as a full tilt upgrade remember the Sport Compact Car Project 300zx TT? They got 560rwhp after a full motor build up, crazy porting and 24 psi on 116 octane race gas.

SGP has a 350Z making over 560rwhp on 93 octane pump gas with only the Greddy kit at 14psi ,forged, pistons and rods and a set of nismo cams.

That with the car only being out for 2 years says alot.
Gary
Old 08-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by 7 eleven
I've driven both and the 300ZX TT does seem heavier. As for power the 350Z has alot more potential.

With the 300ZX TT guys would do intake exhaust and a JWT Chip and get a little over 300 rwhp like 315ish. and they were running around 15psi of boost. On my Z with the Greddy kit set to 5psi and a full exhaust I'm making 362rwhp.
There are a couple of things to bear in mind. The 350z has half liter more of displacement and the turbos in the GReddy kit are larger than the factory 300ZX turbos. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

Regardless, I will guarantee you that a basic-bolt on VG30DETT will last much longer than a VQ35DE w/ an aftermarket turbo kit. You're driving a ticking timebomb. The VG30DETT is built from the factory to handle boost and lots of it, while the VQ35DE is an NA motor. There is a reason why Nissan is still in R&D w/ their VQ30DETT motor for the GT-R.

As far as a full tilt upgrade remember the Sport Compact Car Project 300zx TT? They got 560rwhp after a full motor build up, crazy porting and 24 psi on 116 octane race gas.
Mike Kojima's 300ZX is not representative of all 500+hp 300ZX'es. Mike built his to be a streetable 500+hp daily driver, not a laggy top-end track car.

SGP has a 350Z making over 560rwhp on 93 octane pump gas with only the Greddy kit at 14psi ,forged, pistons and rods and a set of nismo cams.
And you should ask Kyle at SGP about his opinion between the VG30DETT and VQ35DE. Kyle, afterall, does own a 300ZX TT. Heck, I'm not the best representative for the high-po 300ZX'es as mine put down 340rwhp/360rwtq SAE-corrected w/ intake, exhaust, test pipes, JWT ECU, and boost controller running at 1.1bar. You should post your opinion on twinturbo.net and see what the guys w/ the 500+rwhp Z's have to say.

Michael.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:00 PM
7 eleven

First I'd like to say what I posted was my opinon and, like the thread starter asked how they compare. However since you have been offended by my post that I like the 350 better, I will restate why I like the 350 better.

You're comparing apples and oranges here.
Of course we are that's the whole point of the thread, maybe you should reread the first post. But It does not change what is being compared. The reason I like the 350 is it's a great starting point to go in any direction you want. That way you don't have to pay for features you don't want.

Remember the 300ZXTT was a 50K car back in the early 90's that would be close to mid 60's now. I can't afford a car in the mid 60's. But for around 40k total I have a car that will beat a stock 300zxTT hands down.

I could go by a Z32 and put about 10k into and have a really fast car. But like the reason I sold my 93 RX-7 R1 that was making 400 rwhp. No matter how well you take care of a car after ten years or so your always chasing little things. I didn't want to do that any more.

You should post your opinion on twinturbo.net and see what the guys w/ the 500+rwhp Z's have to say.
Sure, or maybe a Mustang site. I'm sorry but you can go to almost any site and say X car is better and they will come out of the wood work to say some negative about the car you like better than the one they have.

As far as a "ticking time bomb" Come your kidding right? I don't drive like a jackass and know how to take care of a car that has a aftermarket FI setup. I know that 5psi on any car with Air fuel in the 10:1 range across the board is not a time bomb by anyones standard

Gary

Last edited by 7 eleven; 08-07-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:03 PM
DuckyZgiirl

Some one post a good pic of the 300ZX interior?
Old 08-07-2004, 02:51 PM
frick

lame
Old 08-07-2004, 04:43 PM
zluster

Originally posted by DuckyZgiirl
Some one post a good pic of the 300ZX interior?
Note: my glove box still needs to be adjusted from the dash pull

And of course my fav pic:

Look stock for stock on the NAs, yes the 350z will beat it.

Now stock for stock z32 vs z33, the z33 is going to lose, sure it will pull in the beginning, but once those turbos spool up....

The z31 turbo was about as fast as the z32 NA, and the z32 turbo is about as fast as a z33 NA.

Now for much cheaper than the cost of a supercharger you can make a TT just as fast, if not more so. Not lets compare the cost of the cars, A good used TT can be had for 10k easy, and thats a one in very good shape, ie one that hasnt been ragged on. Now thats a 17k difference between it and a base model z33, think what 17k will buy you for a 300zx. You can be pushing 500RWHP easy.

So in conclusion:
z33 - new car, plenty of potential, $$$ to mod
z32 - Older car, plenty of potential, $ to mod

For the person who wanted to know when the engines switched, it was with the z31, first of the v6 in the 3, and the second engine type, remember the s30 and s130 used the same L series engine, albeit with different displacments and later a turbo.

As far as suspension/handling.

Upgrade the suspension then compare it, other wise its a moot point.

Personally I like HICAS, gives a riding on rails feeling. But some dont like the feeling at higher speeds when cornering, and the 94+ is much better than the 90-93.

And as far as the comment it was a 50k car, no it wasnt, it was a 45k car, my 90 was a 42k car, my 96 a 45k.

Plus the z32 TTs had t-tops.......
Old 08-07-2004, 05:14 PM
trackstar

Well i will throw my 2 cents in here. I currently own my second Z32 TT, and I had a Z33 on order and I have a decent amount of seat time in it.

The 350Z is a really fun car with a great powerband. It handles great and looks good. However, the build quality is a little lacking particularly the interior. And it's hp potential is fairly limited, unless you spend big bucks and go forced induction. But as far as new-car bang for the buck, it's tough to beat.

The TT is an amazing car, the original Japanese supercar. There aren't nearly enough well-cared for examples left, but for the ones that are (such as mine ), the superior build quality really shows through. Age can take its toll, but personally I think the 350Z's will be a little worse for the wear after a decade. IMHO, the Z32's design is timeless and beautiful. For a very small amount of money you can bump the power up to 400 flywheel hp. Aftermarket development tended to move slowly, but has grown by leaps and bounds the past few years, and there are some seriously powerful examples out now. The car is a bit heavy, but with a few simple suspension mods (sways, bushings), the car handles amazingly well.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Michael-Dallas

First I'd like to say what I posted was my opinon and, like the thread starter asked how they compare. However since you have been offended by my post that I like the 350 better, I will restate why I like the 350 better.
I got no problems w/ you liking the 350 better, heck, I ended up selling my 300 since I stopped driving it. However, your opinions why you like the 350 over the 300 came across as fact when it's not entirely true.

As far as a "ticking time bomb" Come your kidding right? I don't drive like a jackass and know how to take care of a car that has a aftermarket FI setup. I know that 5psi on any car with Air fuel in the 10:1 range across the board is not a time bomb by anyones standard
Aluminum block, open-deck, short piston skirts, and a 10.3:1 compression ratio? Yes, I consider it a ticking time bomb. I know that setup won't last a day at Motorsports Ranch in 100 degree heat. But if you drive mostly on the boulevard like grandma and your 350 lasts you to the next owner, then more power to you.

Michael.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:17 PM
7 eleven

However, your opinions why you like the 350 over the 300 came across as fact when it's not entirely true.
Sorry, Mike you lost me on that one. My opinions are now facts? Could you point out where I claimed anything that was not true?

Aluminum block, open-deck, short piston skirts, and a 10.3:1 compression ratio? Yes, I consider it a ticking time bomb. I know that setup won't last a day at Motorsports Ranch in 100 degree heat. But if you drive mostly on the boulevard like grandma and your 350 lasts you to the next owner, then more power to you.
Again I'm sorry I misjugded your level of knowledge on this subject. It's quite clear the majority of your information comes to you from the web and import car magzines. I sure this will contine to serve you well.
Gary
Old 08-08-2004, 07:50 PM
ZZtopp

I owned a 300ZXTT for eight years. During the same time, I also owned a 1995 Porsche 911 for about a year. I drove the Z more than the Porsche, mainly because the Porsche was a POS and was in the shop more than it was out (maybe it was lemon). Regardless, I loved that Z car.

Having said that, it certainly cannot be considered any sort of "supercar," a phrase used way too often. Modding aside, it truly pales next to the 350Z in most areas, and felt extremely dated when driven back to back with my 2002 Z06. The 350Z has the advantage of a decade of more knowledge, engineering and styling advances, and it really is a much different, much better car than the 90-96 Z out of the box.

You can certainly do more with the 300ZX motor, but who really cares? It's still an overweight, aging design. If you really need the bragging rights of 500-600 HP, you can get a lot more reliability and power with an old Corvette or (gasp!) Camaro for a lot less money. I think the 350Z is underpowered for it's potential, but as it sits, it's a much better car and much better value than the 300ZXTT ever was.

Last edited by ZZtopp; 08-08-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Michael-Dallas

Sorry, Mike you lost me on that one. My opinions are now facts? Could you point out where I claimed anything that was not true?
Your first statement is an opinion. That is clear. Everything else is true, I admit, but you're only telling one side of the story. My reply to you was to show the other side of the story. Yes, your GReddy TT put out more power at lower boost, but the $7k kit comes with larger turbos. Yes, Kojima paid out the wazoo for his 500hp setup, but his setup is not the norm. Yes, SGP built a 350z that put down that much power on pump gas, I guarantee you they can build a 300ZX w/ similar power levels for much cheaper.

How hard is that to understand? Are the walls in your glass house that thin that you were offended by my reply? Are you that much of a keyboard warrior that you must disect my statements out of their context just to win an argument?

Again I'm sorry I misjugded your level of knowledge on this subject. It's quite clear the majority of your information comes to you from the web and import car magzines. I sure this will contine to serve you well.
Has it ever dawned on you that if I followed that stuff that I would probably be drinking the same kool-aid you've been drinking? I'm afraid to say my information comes from the R&D articles on the VG30DETT and VQ35DE written by the Nissan engineers that designed those motors from sae.org.

Nice try though.

Michael.