Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I wonder...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 04:35 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J.... great post....

1/ Given all the speculation and write-ups over here... I think you are right on....but not with the Z.

2/ Considering that it is a known fact that the G35.. sedan and 2-door coupe, the Z, and the next generation GT-R (35 series ??) will all share the same platform -- I am not suprised about the type of engine they might be testing in the Z platform.

3/ There is already a V8 in the Cima... and speculation abounds what Nissan will put into their sports models.. the Z and of course, the GT-R.

I must have seen at least 145 articles on this speculation...

V6
3.5 N/A
3.5 turbo
3.5 super charged

same as above with a V8....

Summary --- jury is still out.

God -- it is really fun to what if... get the Z now.. and possibly trade up for newer-and-better things in the future. That is the great part of everyone's drive in life ======= a great interest in lsomething fun and going out and enjoying it NOW.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:10 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Jay:

I'd have to say it's inevitable that Nissan will come out with a higher-output version of the Z. I'd like to think that they'll wait at least a FEW years before shoehorning a V8 in there, just so they don't upset all us first-round buyers.

Turbos are most likely out of the equation, and with the compression already at 10.3 to 1, I can't see them getting much out of a supercharger, which just leaves good old displacement.

Evolution is a necessary thing, and if the next logical step in the evolution of the Z is a V8, then I'm all for it. Sure, it'll be faster than my Z, but if you start playing that waiting game, you'll never end up owning anything (unless, of course, you're a trust fund baby with money to burn, in which case you don't have a real appreciation for anything anyhow because you still don't understand the value of a dollar. Well, maybe all that's changed if you had a lot of Enron...)
Old 06-12-2002, 08:39 PM
#15Blade

The skyline GT-R had a 4.5 L V-8, at least in the concept. But the lines are very similar to the Z - maybe he saw that?

Take a look:

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...ept/home.shtml
Old 06-12-2002, 09:23 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

I'm secretly hoping they never get rid of the R34 Skyline. (Even though it's pretty well documented that they're already phasing it out).

THAT'S one heck of a car.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:56 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And we thought our gov. regs were tough...

Sadly... no more Silvia and GT-R
Where will the SR20DETs and RB26DETTs go?
Sad i never got to see these engines, hear, and feel them.

Anyhow... if the 350Z had a V8, would they call it Z8? Aahahah... j/k, BMW won't be happy.

I don't like the idea of the 350Z having V8 engine... hek, shouldn't it get an I6 engine instead like the past?
Old 06-13-2002, 12:48 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Where did they fit that big of an engine?
Think of the HP's... Grrrrrrr Baby Grrrrrrrr!

New Name Fast Acceleration Z! (FAZ)
and an upgrade to (REALLY FAZ)
Old 06-13-2002, 01:04 AM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Thumbs up 450Z

Originally posted by JmanZ

Before this thread gets blown into a Jay said this and Jay said that type of thread on zcar or another forum asking ZISME for his blessing or denial. I never said anything. I merely asked a question. A what if.

For all I know, my guy in the orinet was blowing smoke up my butt regarding the 4.5 L engine. (although I seriously doubt it because I KNOW the engine either exists and is planned for the Infiniti Q series. I haven't even mentioned the 8 speed transmission yet either with paddle shift. I'll leave that for another day. :P )

(hahaha... gotta hate it when I stir that pot)
Jay,

The Nissan 4.5L V8 is in the current Q45 and you can buy it TODAY at your nearest Infiniti dealer, so this is not an unannounced or secret engine.

BMW, Mercedes and US car makers put their 6 cyl. and 8 cyl. engines in the same car series or class. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if Nissan is practicing the same thing others are doing for years. So I don't think you are revealing any Nissan super secret here, you can relax now. I can tell you that if Nissan haven't catch up with the idea by now, they are TOO slow. There is no need to ask ZISME for confirmation or denial. This is just plain common sense, and we all have that.

The question is more in the line of "How Nissan want to position the Z in the market?" Don't forget, the Z is available with a 3.0L engine in Europe, so putting a 4.5L in the Z may stretch the Z line too broad to the high end. How would you like to own a ~$50K Z in US that look exactly like the one that cost $26K+? It also depend on if Nissan have a real plan to market a high end sport car, like the GTR. Did you notice the balancing act GM did with the same V8 in the Camaro and lower end Corvette? If the market size doesn't justify the development investment for GTR, then the chance of a 4.5L in Z is much higher. If the GTR with V8 is become real, then there could be some overlapping in product positioning. It also depend on where Nissan want to position the GTR in the market segment: Corvette, 911, 360 Ferrari, etc. I'd say Nissan also studied the market "success" or "lack of" of the NSX. There is a balance somewhere between image builder and return on investment. That's my 2 cents.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:16 AM
3rdpower

hehe... if you can jam a V8 into a Z I'd probably do it later down the line. I don't think Nissan will release a Z with a V8 any time soon however. Wouldn't be a very good idea besides. V8 GT-R, yes. 55-60k... awesome car - big investment.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:05 AM
Flyingscot

Just think what a V8 in a Z would do to the weight distribution. For those who like to tear up the 1/4 mile, I see plenty of transplants in the future. However, I think a 350HP turbo Z (possibly AWD)is more likely going to be the future factory Z. The GT-R is reportedly going to have 400HP so Nissan will need to leave some headroom between the two cars.

Just my 2c.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:52 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny....

I don't think Jay is referring to the "8-sp" tranny used for the G35/V35 in Japan.

In fact, the 8 gears are virtual because it uses a CVT. I even doubt CVT can handle that much power from a V8. This just gives a sporty feel, more like video games. Also, I don't even think CVT is currently feasible for sports cars.

Now the 8sp paddle shift Jay is talking about is probably the F1 technology type. Doesn't Ferrari have this type of tranny that is clutch free and shifts extremely quick when using the paddles? I think it's somewhere along the lines.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:52 AM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Default Re: Re: 450Z

Originally posted by JmanZ

ummm.. you're not talking about the 350Z/Fairlady Z are you? If you are, the car is only offered with a 3.5L. The 3.0 L was a rumor that a UK site called autoexpress tried to start but their as reliable as the National Enquirer or any other tabloid.

The European market, to the best of my knowledge is only 3.5, as is the rest of the world. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything from Nissan to suggest otherwise. Have you? (maybe I missed something)

I guess I should have been clearer on my post... I tied to things together but they were space apart so maybe people didn't make the connection. That 4.5L V-8 I am speaking of, is coupled with a 8 speed paddle shift type transmission. First of it's kind in the world.

Will it see production? Yes. Which car is the question. My money is on the 2004 all wheel drive GT-R

I sure hope they shoehorn an 8 into the Z frame though... w00t w00t... nothing but excessive gas consumption, and a smile.

-j-
Jay,

I recalled I read about the new Z with 3.0 and 3.5L engines early this year on a car magazine web site in Europe, can't recall the name. I used to the reliable news from US car magazines like C&D, R&T, Motor Trend and Autoweek, so I put the same faith on the European car magazine. It did make logical sense to me when I read it, since smaller engine displacement is more popular in Europe than US and there are a lot of competitions in that segment in Europe. Well, look like I have to watch out for car tabloid from now on. Thank for the head-up.

I think Nissan should aim high for the GTR market segment, i.e. 911 ~$75K-$95K. If that is the target, then the 450Z is the most logical choice in 1.5-2 years for the Corvette market segment (~$50K).
Old 06-14-2002, 04:06 AM
mcclaskz

Nissan basically did the engine upgrade for the M45. They will take the same 4.5 we speak of from the Q and stuff it in a smaller body. Its all power-to-weight in the end. That would make a good M5 killer if they end up putting the 6MT in it.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:45 AM
blackknight

Originally posted by exsilio
You know...I think I really would sell my left arm for a Skyline GTR...what a fantastic car.
Hey Exsilio, I think you're going to need that left arm for puttin' the death grip on the steering wheel while shifting with your right!!

Now me, I'll gladly sacrifice a left ******** over a left arm for the new GTR. Sigh...sameway I'd give a left ******** to play college football, again. Oh well, life goes on.