Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

have i been driving manual wrong all my life???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:19 PM
fuzion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i completely burned out my clutch. from doing stupid **** and that it being my first clutch (manual car) ever.

after ig ot it fixed it was really damn tight. i notice now i can just release the clutch really really slow and then apply some gas. like i can completely just release it, only if really slow, then hit the gas like 5 seconds later and itll run.

are your cars like this? mine wasnt until they fixed the clutch. gotta love that tight clutch. ^_^

sorry if this doesntr make sense - drunken rambling
Old 09-03-2004, 10:06 PM
ktm
Banned

To all those who are "slipping" the clutch through the first 3 to 4 gears need to go back to drivering school. Youo do NOT need to ride the clutch in any gear but first. If you are riding the gear in 2 through 6th, then you are going to burn out your clutch. No wonder the Nissan engineers said that Americans can not drive manual!

The reason you get a jerk when shifting gears is because you are not matching your revs close enough. When you pull off the gas, the crank shaft begins to slow as you are no longer applying gas. Your drive shaft is also beginning to slow as it is no longer connected to the engine.

When you start to lift your foot off the clutch, you begin to give the car gas. Your crankshaft now has power but your drive shaft does not. If you connect the two when their RPMs are significantly different, you feel a jerk.

The only way you get better is practice, practice, pratice. You'll know when you hit it right. Hell, I have been driving manual for over 15 years and I still jerk the car.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:55 AM
boma

Originally posted by ktm
To all those who are "slipping" the clutch through the first 3 to 4 gears need to go back to drivering school. Youo do NOT need to ride the clutch in any gear but first. If you are riding the gear in 2 through 6th, then you are going to burn out your clutch. No wonder the Nissan engineers said that Americans can not drive manual!

The reason you get a jerk when shifting gears is because you are not matching your revs close enough. When you pull off the gas, the crank shaft begins to slow as you are no longer applying gas. Your drive shaft is also beginning to slow as it is no longer connected to the engine.

When you start to lift your foot off the clutch, you begin to give the car gas. Your crankshaft now has power but your drive shaft does not. If you connect the two when their RPMs are significantly different, you feel a jerk.

The only way you get better is practice, practice, pratice. You'll know when you hit it right. Hell, I have been driving manual for over 15 years and I still jerk the car.
I think what some people including me mean by slipping the clutch, is that we take our foot off the clutch quickly but not as fast a release such as in a racing condition.

Cause If I pop my foot out rapidly in the higher gears it'll jerk, even if i'm matching revs (which i always do).
Old 09-04-2004, 07:59 AM
ktm
Banned

I was trying to use their terms. I think of slipping the clutch just as you do, a quick release of the clutch.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:56 AM
ppak3

quick question, what is wrong with "lugging" the car? I.E beign in too high a gear? i notice that if i ever do this, the engine note gets really deep and low....does this mean anything? thanks
Old 09-04-2004, 10:19 AM
eazy

"I was trying to use their terms. I think of slipping the clutch just as you do, a quick release of the clutch"

Hmm. No. A slip is not a drop or a quick release. An example of slipping the clutch is like revving the engine and then slowwwly letting the clutch out. It slips for a long time before it grabs completely. That is a slip. Any time the clutch is trying to grab, but isn't grabbing 100%, is slipping.

"quick question, what is wrong with "lugging" the car? I.E beign in too high a gear? i notice that if i ever do this, the engine note gets really deep and low....does this mean anything?"

Yes, it means you should reacquaint yourself with the most basic manual transmission operating procedures. It doesn't matter why. Just accept the blind faith and don't do it because it is one of the worst things you can do to your engine. You are putting your engine under an extremely stressful load by lugging it.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:58 PM
ppak3

alright; i will take your word for it; i was just curious as to the technical aspect behind it
Old 09-04-2004, 08:00 PM
ktm
Banned

Thanks easy. I have never heard the term "slipping the clutch", I have always refered to it as riding the clutch.

As you said, it is a baaaad thing (which is what I said originally a couple posts up).
Old 09-09-2004, 07:17 AM
mp3car

Originally posted by shopdog
... If you are depressing the clutch when shifting, then you can blip it before or after you put it in the lower gear, but before you engage the clutch. Doesn't make any difference in that case....
I believe it technically DOES make a difference... if you shift into the desired gear before rev matching and before letting the clutch out, yes, it will be 'smooth' but... This still puts more wear on the synchros as if you were not even rev matching at all... By rev matching BEFORE puting it into the lower gear and before letting the clutch out (in the case of downshifting), now the synchros don't have to do much "work".

so in that senario it would be... driving in 4th, press the clutch, raise rpms to rev match for your current speed in 3rd, put it in 3rd, release the clutch. Instead of... driving in 4th, press the clutch, put it in 3rd, raise the rpms, relase clutch... like i said, and you said, both will result in a "smooth" shifting action, but I'm quite certain shifting before rev-matching is still putting just as much wear on the synchros as not doing doing it all.

Last edited by mp3car; 09-09-2004 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:35 AM
shopdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mp3car
I believe it technically DOES make a difference... if you shift into the desired gear before rev matching and before letting the clutch out, yes, it will be 'smooth' but... This still puts more wear on the synchros as if you were not even rev matching at all... By rev matching BEFORE puting it into the lower gear and before letting the clutch out (in the case of downshifting), now the synchros don't have to do much "work".

so in that senario it would be... driving in 4th, press the clutch, raise rpms to rev match for your current speed in 3rd, put it in 3rd, release the clutch. Instead of... driving in 4th, press the clutch, put it in 3rd, raise the rpms, relase clutch... like i said, and you said, both will result in a "smooth" shifting action, but I'm quite certain shifting before rev-matching is still putting just as much wear on the synchros as not doing doing it all.
No. Unless you let out the clutch when blipping the throttle (double clutch), you aren't increasing the speed of the transmission input shaft, so you aren't doing anything to relieve the work on the synchros.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ppak3
alright; i will take your word for it; i was just curious as to the technical aspect behind it
Revving slowly, hot gazes from the combustion will be in contact with the cylinder longuer, transfering more heat. Hotter internals is not good.

You also get lots of pressure in the cylinders.

Might be other reasons also.

One thing to beware about slipping between gears. If you you do it always, that becomes your way of driving. Then, when you get all excited and want to drive fast, you'll unconsciously slip the clutch just a wee bit. This combined with full throttle will prevent the clutch from fully engaging, even with your foot of the pedal. People might think they're smooking the tires will it's the clutch that is spinning.

Most of the 350Z at driver camp had burned clutch because of that...
Old 09-09-2004, 10:34 AM
mp3car

Originally posted by shopdog
No. Unless you let out the clutch when blipping the throttle (double clutch), you aren't increasing the speed of the transmission input shaft, so you aren't doing anything to relieve the work on the synchros.
DOH! wasn't thinking!

how could I have made that statement??? heh...
of course reving with the clutch in wont do anything in the transmission!! DUH! I havent felt this stupid since someone told me he got new calipers and rotors for $500, and I said "All 5 of them?" (evidently I said 5 b/c of $500)
Old 09-09-2004, 10:46 AM
khagen

dumb question.. what does a burning clutch smell like. I get a whiff of something when I am getting onto the freeway or under hard accelleration but it goes away after a couple of seconds. It is really hard to explain the smell, it just smells like something is burning. I read earlier that it could be the cats heating up but my car has over 20,000 miles so it isn't from being new. Sorry to hijack the thread! Thanks!!
Old 09-09-2004, 11:11 AM
mp3car

hmmm.... very interesting question about what a burning/slipping clutch smells like... different people may say different things... i kind of think like burning peanuts, not that I have smelled burning peanuts, but imagine what peanuts might smell like if burned...

have you ever smelled a burning smell after getting new brake pads? it is a very similiar smell....

Make sure you don't have anything on your manifold or exhaust piping that could be burning.... like any sort of plastic or something.... It is interesting that it is only under hard acceleration... granted EGTs are much higher at full load...
Old 09-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Organic based clutch will have a acrid smell. Simillar to rotten eggs ?

It smells bad !

Like mp3car said, it might be stuff on the exhaust that you smell. Mud, plastics ?