Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Value of the Z in time

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 12:38 AM
SQUILL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When determining retail value it can be very subjective.

Book value really is just a guide not the "law" as so many people believe it is.

For example my dad just sold his 1994 6mt corvette for 24000 bucks...it was green of all colors anyway the best buy bid i could get for that car was 12,000 bucks and nada retail was 16,000 at the time!

I think the 350z's with lower miles will keep their value fairly well as there will be plenty of 350z's with avg miles 15k per year which every customer on the planet seems to consider high miles for a sports car.

trying to sell a 3 yr old vette with 50k miles is impossible.

I remember a few years ago there was a white 99 vette with 64k miles on it there must have been hundreds of people that came and looked at that car and it sat there forever until they finally sold it 5 months later for a 4000 loss.

it will be interesting though to see how the used car buyer reacts to mileage concerning the Z

it is hard to make a comparrison though as the mustang is really the only other car in its class but its like a 10 year old design and they hold their value like a bucket full of holes holds water.

hmmmmmm will be interesting indeed realistically as compared to the mustangs and camaros the Z is much more rare and better looking of course!

I do think out of wrx sti, evo,mustang,rx8, that the Z looks to hold its value the best.

sorry i guess the rx8 is in the 350z class with the stang however the people i talk to at mazda stores can hardly give away new rx8's so used ones probably wont be doing to well in the future!
Old 08-21-2004, 05:04 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, the 2005's will be out shortly which means my car will be 2 years old with only about 16K miles on it. Plus i bought a beater to keep miles off my Z. At 3 years old, my Z will have about 22K miles and should still be worth much more than one with 50K miles. If not, im gonna trade it this year while i can still get something for it.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Zcarboy

I see about 30 or more brand new RX-8 in all different colors and options at my local Mazda dealer. They can't even sell all of those 2004 before the 2005 even come out. I can't picture how much those RX-8 will sell used. You can say the same for Crossfire too.

Nissan only sell about close to 2,500 to 3K 350Z a month or 30K a year which will go down the longer the car is out. This might make the car more value. Even the Honda Prelude which only sold about 20K a year which explains why it has such a good retail value as well as being a great car too. What I am trying to say is that the fewer of some cars out there helps make the value better. Of course it has to be a great car too or name brand.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:40 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 years down the road is a tough read.

Factors that will play into this will be it's long term reliability, this is one of the factors that kills the mid 90s RX7s resale value. Along this same line, how well things like interior trim stay together can play a big factor in how the car feels to prospective buyers.

Long term sex appeal, sure they look good now but so did lots of other sports cars when they were new. I am not even talking about dings and dents, I am talking about the difference between one hit wonders and classic you can play over and over again.

Gas prices may also play a factor, if gas gets high enough 26mpg may feel a lot like the 8mpg of a 1970 Buick Electra 454. You could not give those cars away in 1976.

Chris
Old 08-22-2004, 06:25 AM
moog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by infinitiboy
LOL You know how common the Zs are getting? It has 0 chance of every turning into a cult status like the Supra.
So you're saying the Nissan Z car has no large following at all? Do you know ignorant you are? LMAO

Old 08-22-2004, 07:15 AM
WhoNeedsAnM3

Ah, the wonders of KBB:

My M3 is a 1995 (9yrs old), and has 104000 Miles on it, and has a KBB of $8000 to a dealer and $10000 to an individual. Strange, people are interested at $18000, and I know that the aftermarket work is only about $1000 of that.

The M was worth about the equivilant of 45000 today (inflation adjusted) when it was new in 1995. I would guess that the Z's in good condition (especially the roadsters) will maintain their value almost as well. I would guess a 100000 on one would make it worth about 5000/7000 from KBB and worth 12-14000 from a real individual.

All this depends on no major flaws being explosed on the Z in the next few years.

BTW, I just traded in my roadster (5A, Touring, no nav but everything else) and got 32000 (it had 5000 miles on it). I could have sold it to an individual for 35000, but the tas savings and "money now" not "money later" made the trade in a better deal. I had paid 40000 including TTL on it...
Old 08-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Boiler

I owned a car with a very similar price band and market position to the Z.

After 6 years and 60,000 miles I sold it for a third of its new cost, it was in very good condition.

If you want to know the 'Professional' view look at the buy out cost for leases of that duration and mileage. They are on the safe side of low but it would give you a common basis.

The mileages you quote are very high for a Sports car.

The issue that most effected me was that when I bought they were in short supply and I had to pay MSRP. By the time I sold the MSRP was lower than it had been 6 years previous and they were offering discounts!

Assuming that Nissan see the Z as a long term vehicle no doubt they will upgrade/ facelift as time goes by but with all the initial tooling costs recovered if they need to they can lower the price to maximise sales, it is a high volume vehicle for a sports car.

I think Gas price is less of an issue, after all they sell well in Countries where Gas is 3x the price.

I would think the Miata will be a good comparison if you want to look at something with a market pedigree. The Corvette etc are different, but then look at the discounts you can get on an 04. I guess someone who bought a year ago and sells now will take a big hit.

If you are worried too much about the depriciation you probably can not afford it, Cars cost.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:21 PM
makad

Selling a particular car, is like trading in the stock market. All it takes is a few owners to have the urgency to sell, and then let their Z go cheap, and the bottom falls out. Hence the price comes tumbling down. If there is a saturated market of Zs, I am sure there will be a few people who will let theirs go cheap. If this happens, watch out. If we all hold, and be strong we'll have nothing to worry about (united we stand) but the chances of unity if the market becomes saturated... Slim to none.
Here is a good example... The Chysler 300 is a good car (all the MB components) But they are a dime a dozen. Hell of a deal, market is and will be saturated. Two to three years, they will be giving the used ones away.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Dr. Greg

Default Sigh. I guess depreciation is the story of my life...

So I have an '03 CS Track (2nd owner), only average about 5K miles/year. In ten years it might be worth something...but not much. Good thing I like it.

On to my motorcycle, an '00 Aprilia Mille RSV; after Aprilia nearly went belly-up resale values just plunged; the 11.5K I paid turned into about 5K. Good thing I like it, too!

But the heartbreaker is this: at one time I owned a '65 GT-350 Shelby Mustang (number 342 of just over 500 produced) which I sold in 1974 for $3750!!!! Had 17K miles on it! Dang I wish I had that car back!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:41 AM
davidgaddy

I saw a used 1998 BMW Z3 for 11,000k do n't know how many miles on car. My 350 has 36450k on it now but I have a 100,000k warranty on the. You guys are wild just enjoy your Z car besides if you do make a tread you may not get a lot for your car.I got myZ Octber 2002. Just drive the cars guys .
Old 08-24-2004, 10:19 AM
haloplayer
Banned

MAZDA RX8 Is the ugliest thing ever made
Old 08-24-2004, 08:39 PM
Boiler

Originally posted by haloplayer
MAZDA RX8 Is the ugliest thing ever made
Well I would not agree on that, but they are going cheap. I was looking at one of their forums , some numbers that might be interesting.

2004 Invoice minus $1000
2005 Invoice maybe a bit above

Lease value after 3 years and 45,000 miles - 50% of MSRP but more signifcantly 60% of what you should be looking to pay. That sounds about right for a Z as well.

I also found the only logical reasoning for leasing I have come across, in this case Mazda were offering an extra $2,500 discount if Leased.

Having worked out the numbers the guy reckoned he would be a $1,000 down over the 3 years. He was worried about residuals being hit so effectively he did it as an insurance against the residuals being worse than the lease buy out value, if things lookk Ok he can buy the car if not walk away. $1,000 was Ok for this reassurance, Without the discount he would have been looking at a c$4,000 premium, not so logical.

He was also happy with the mileage limitations and was not pllanning any mods.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The RX-8 doesn't have a design that will last through the years. The Z and G have much better designs that still look appealing after a few years (G35c has top coupe resale value). The last RX-7 still turns heads, though.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Boiler

Originally posted by xswl0931
The Z and G have much better designs that still look appealing after a few years
Apart from the Tire Feathering?

But it does not matter what we think, it is what future buyers think.

The Mazda has 4 seats so that opens it to a much bigger market, it seems to have been overproduced.

IF both are seen as comparable in the future it will be difficult for the Z to hold a premium.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:58 PM
SQUILL

Originally posted by Boiler
Apart from the Tire Feathering?

But it does not matter what we think, it is what future buyers think.

The Mazda has 4 seats so that opens it to a much bigger market, it seems to have been overproduced.

IF both are seen as comparable in the future it will be difficult for the Z to hold a premium.
the mazda rx8 is the worst junk ever.

Hp is not wat they say the 2 small doors are fugly and useless.

My buddies that work at the mazda dealer would rather do anything than help a mazda rx8 customer....when the people test drive it they say its slow...when people actually want to buy they cant ever make any money because you have to give those things away to get someone to buy one.

Value of the rx8 in time will probably be the worst ever for a spts car especially if they make the new rx7.

that rx8 will be as valuble as beachfront property in arizona LOL
Old 08-25-2004, 12:31 AM
guru_ck

http://netscape.edmunds.com/reviews/...7/article.html

http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/23/pf/a...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Old 08-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Boiler

They are guesstimating, just look at what they were forecasting 2 years ago and the reality of people selling now.

And to achieve these values for those 2 years in, the next 3 years depreciation will have to be very low.