Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Clutchless Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 08:24 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did need to use it once when the clutch slave cylinder blew fluid on my brothers 84 4Runner. Was a nice trick to know,

Also, it was nice to know how to fix it myself, I imagine a shop would have wanted several hundred bucks to fix a 10 dollar piece
Old 09-13-2004, 08:31 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by longbowe
I see you've updated your sig. Awesome!!
Yes indeed! Thanx!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:25 AM
eazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shift without the clutch quite a bit. Taking it out of gear without the clutch is easy. Give it a little throttle as you push/pull the shifter, as soon as you let off the throttle it slides right out of gear. Selecting a new gear without the clutch is just as easy. You have to be quick tho. As soon as the rpms are matched, as you are putting pressure on the shifter you will feel it bump, and you can quickly throw it in gear. If you don't do it fast enough you can end up grinding dog teeth, but the sound of that is really worse than it is. It's not like you are actually grinding gears. No big deal.

I will also make a note, to those who are paranoid about breaking something....

My 2nd gear synchro has been messed up ever since day 1 (after the break in period of course). My 3rd gear synchro also hangs a bit when shifting into 3rd under normal conditions. Under hard acceleration, it takes a granny shift to get into 2nd without grinding. Sometimes I just pound it anyway. I will be getting the tranny replaced before the warranty is up anyway, so I could care less if it breaks. I am *not* looking forward to having my tranny replaced. That is the whole reason I sold my last car - the tranny was going out - it was not under warranty - and I didn't want to mess with it! Doh!

I was hoping with the 04.5 they would have most problems fixed, but no such luck. I accept the issues, as the car is still fairly new to the market. Oh well. Sheet happens.

Last edited by eazy; 09-18-2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:44 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by eazy
As soon as the rpms are matched, as you are putting pressure on the shifter you will feel it bump, and you can quickly throw it in gear. If you don't do it fast enough you can end up grinding dog teeth, but the sound of that is really worse than it is. It's not like you are actually grinding gears. No big deal.
Well, that pressure applied towards the next gear is forcing the syncros to do their job to fully match the revs of the input/output shafts of the transmission (if you listen closely, you can hear the syncros working).

And yes, if you hear the grinding of gears, you really are grinding them. Any time you strike two pieces of metal together (like the teeth on the gears) in a sheer fashion, you are going to be slowly changing the shape of the teeth on the engagement side.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:01 PM
eazy

Well, you can do it just the same without putting any pressure at all on it, so long as you know exactly where to do it.

No offense or anything, but you are flat out wrong about grinding gears. The gears are always fully meshed with the layshaft. NEVER EVER do you grind actual gears. If you really knew how a manual transmission worked, you would have known this.

Last edited by eazy; 09-18-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:33 PM
kcobean

Well, you can do it just the same without putting any pressure at all on it, so long as you know exactly where to do it.

No offense or anything, but you are flat out wrong about grinding gears. The gears are always fully meshed with the layshaft. NEVER EVER do you grind actual gears. If you really knew how a manual transmission worked, you would have known this.

....and I thought you were one of the ones who knew what they were talking about...... Nice sig BTW.
Well gee, since you were so incredibly tactful about insulting me while putting me in my place, no offense taken...(and yes, I AM being sarcastic.)

So why don't you bless us with your wisdom about what exactly that horrible grinding sound of metal on metal is. Because in my Probe (whose clutch is near death), sometimes when the gears grind (which according to you isn't really happening), you can actually hear and feel the unmeshed gears slowing down in respect to one another as they strike against each other until they finally mesh (and you can feel every strike in the shift-lever.) If those aren't gears striking, what are they?
Old 09-18-2004, 07:49 PM
eazy

Eh, sorry about that. I just don't like being told I'm wrong when I'm not. I didn't really mean it as an insult. Judging from a lot of your other posts, you seem to have a good grasp on cars. I'm not a mechanic, and I certainly don't know everything there is to know, but there are some things that I do know as fact. This is one of those things.

So why don't you bless us with your wisdom about what exactly that horrible grinding sound of metal on metal is.
I already blessed you with my wisdom. (I told you already) The god aweful noise you are hearing are the dog teeth on the collar failing to seat in the holes on the engagement side of the gear. Never do the gears in your transmission actually grind.

If you need some pictures, or a better explanation, try this link: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

Yes, it is metal on metal, and over time you can wear out the dog teeth.

Do you happen to know what a dogbox/crashbox is?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:03 AM
kcobean

Eh, sorry about that. I just don't like being told I'm wrong when I'm not. I didn't really mean it as an insult. Judging from a lot of your other posts, you seem to have a good grasp on cars. I'm not a mechanic, and I certainly don't know everything there is to know, but there are some things that I do know as fact. This is one of those things.

I already blessed you with my wisdom. (I told you already) The god aweful noise you are hearing are the dog teeth on the collar failing to seat in the holes on the engagement side of the gear. Never do the gears in your transmission actually grind.

If you need some pictures, or a better explanation, try this link: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

Yes, it is metal on metal, and over time you can wear out the dog teeth.

Do you happen to know what a dogbox/crashbox is?
Ok, while I will concede that the collars aren't really "gears" per se, you're arguing scemantics here. Gears have teeth, collars have teeth, the concept is the same, and the grinding sound still indicates that pieces of the transmission are in fact "grinding" together. Wearing out the dog-teeth on the collars has the same effect as wearing out a "gear"....Lack of ability to transfer power from the input shaft to the output shaft.....

BTW, that article on HSW was pretty cool. I liked the illustrations that show the collars/shift forks/gears in action.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:16 AM
longbowe

Heh, no grudge matches here, please, lads. The rest of us mortals just wanna learn stuff.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:39 AM
kcobean

Heh, no grudge matches here, please, lads. The rest of us mortals just wanna learn stuff.
He he...No grudge here....Just a little friendly...uh...whatever.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:08 PM
longbowe

kcobean and guys, thanks for the input. I've been getting better at shifting out of gear, and actually have been able to slide the shifter into gear a few times this week. Just second gear, but now I know it can be done!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:45 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

kcobean and guys, thanks for the input. I've been getting better at shifting out of gear, and actually have been able to slide the shifter into gear a few times this week. Just second gear, but now I know it can be done!
I want to see this at the next meet
Old 09-23-2004, 11:32 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Granny shifting when you should be double clutching.

Honestly. Not using your clutch? What the hell is this? If a 5 second dragster uses a clutch, I think everyone here can too.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:27 AM
longbowe

Originally posted by hfm
Granny shifting when you should be double clutching.

Honestly. Not using your clutch? What the hell is this? If a 5 second dragster uses a clutch, I think everyone here can too.
Been waiting long to use that line?

Nah, I just wanted to know that it could be done.