Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Navi add on

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 05:09 AM
rouxeny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navi add on

After all the discussion on this board and the reviews by the people who have actually seen the NAVI in action, I've decided to go ahead and get it added on. I've always felt it would be a nice thing to get and frankly, the car looks better with it. Unfortunately, my financial situation is not the best, as I was originally planning on buying a $30,000 car so the added on $5000 will have to be financed. Actually, I guess it'll be closer to $7000. Oh well, it's only money.

Now, I just hope it's not too late.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:47 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

So, $7000? Let's see, that would be six lap choley's, three appys, and two Hysters. Oh wait, you are still a resident. Sorry, NO SOUP FOR YOU! Hang in there man. Soon it will be worth it.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:39 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Navi add on

Originally posted by rouxeny
After all the discussion on this board and the reviews by the people who have actually seen the NAVI in action, I've decided to go ahead and get it added on. I've always felt it would be a nice thing to get and frankly, the car looks better with it. Unfortunately, my financial situation is not the best, as I was originally planning on buying a $30,000 car so the added on $5000 will have to be financed. Actually, I guess it'll be closer to $7000. Oh well, it's only money.

Now, I just hope it's not too late.
I was tempted to add it too, but decided not to. It would cost me over $6K to upgrade my trim and add the Nav. It may be nice, but it isn't $6K nice. I usually know where I am going when I am driving. The fun of the nav will wear off, except when you are impressing friends. As for prompting me for maintenance issues - never needed a computer in my car to help with that.

Think of all the things you could buy for yourself, or your Z, and get much more use out of.

If you finance 6K, thats going to take you about 3 years to pay back, at $200 per month. Will you get $200 per mo use out of it?

I think there are going to be some real good ideas for that space on the dash, once we get our cars. And I bet you will spend alot less, to turn that small area into something you can enjoy much more often.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:46 AM
jrreed350togo

s-man you are never wrong. It's always smarter to stick with your budget. I guess everyone slobbering over the Nav took you to the point of no return.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:46 AM
Scafremon

I think the nav area would be a good place to dock a cell phone and a PDA. My Ipaq always runs out of power, because I forget to recharge it. If I could recharge it easily and convenintly while I drive (like I do my cell phone) I wouldn't have to worry about it going dead (as I don't have to with my cell phone).
Old 06-16-2002, 06:53 AM
BrianZ

We need more information on the Navi. I wasn't going to get it to save money, even though I really wanted it. In my mind, the car is a necessity, the Navi a luxury.

Now I'm thinking I need it. At first I was just planning on plugging my Toshiba Genio into a GPS module for $250 and being done with it. Now I'm thinking: "hmmm, it does more than navi, I use mapping and navi functions constantly, it looks cool, what if I move to an unfamiliar town, ... " and on and on.

Where can we get detailed info?
Old 06-16-2002, 07:33 AM
Scafremon

Originally posted by BrianZ
We need more information on the Navi. I wasn't going to get it to save money, even though I really wanted it. In my mind, the car is a necessity, the Navi a luxury.

Now I'm thinking I need it. At first I was just planning on plugging my Toshiba Genio into a GPS module for $250 and being done with it. Now I'm thinking: "hmmm, it does more than navi, I use mapping and navi functions constantly, it looks cool, what if I move to an unfamiliar town, ... " and on and on.

Where can we get detailed info?
Brian,

If you haven't already bought the GPS module for your PDA, then why would you think that you 'need' the Nav? You've been doing ok so far utilizing other tools I bet. Granted, it sounds like you could get alot of use from it (or maybe you have convinced yourself you would), but if it is a luxury as you stated, then you don't 'need' it.

You want it.

Say it with me now..... "I saw the Nav, and now I want the Nav".

You have to do better than "what if I move to an unfamiliar town" to convince me that you 'need' the Nav. If you can't convince me, well, I'm sorry, but there is no way I will authorize a Nav addition to your car.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:42 AM
ncrecordkeeper

I'm getting the nav...mostly because it's cool and makes the car look better. However, it will be extremely useful for me. I go somewhere new 1 to 2 times a week. I've never really used a car navi, but hopefully it will take place of me having to look up stuff on the net and printing it. And rerouting has to be convenient.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:10 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by Scafremon

Brian,

If you haven't already bought the GPS module for your PDA, then why would you think that you 'need' the Nav? You've been doing ok so far utilizing other tools I bet. Granted, it sounds like you could get alot of use from it (or maybe you have convinced yourself you would), but if it is a luxury as you stated, then you don't 'need' it.

You want it.

Say it with me now..... "I saw the Nav, and now I want the Nav".

You have to do better than "what if I move to an unfamiliar town" to convince me that you 'need' the Nav. If you can't convince me, well, I'm sorry, but there is no way I will authorize a Nav addition to your car.
Very good question.

A few years ago I rigged up a laptop & GPS receiver in my car and I used the crap out of it. I loved it. Lately I've been getting by with my PDA, but without GPS, and without a big screen. I used to drive a lot more than I do now, but I still drive a lot to unknown places. Do I drive enough to warrant Nav? I'm not sure, but maybe. Will I drive enough in the future to warrant it? I'm not sure, but maybe.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:50 AM
ncrecordkeeper

Brian, do those two maybes add up to a navi on yours? I don't know, but probably
Old 06-16-2002, 09:01 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by ncrecordkeeper
Brian, do those two maybes add up to a navi on yours? I don't know, but probably
For a $1000, I'd definitely do it. $2000? That's a little harder. What is the best use of $2000? Beer? New stereo? Tons of Zaino? 133 shares of Nissan (ticker NSANY)? 100 dinners? 800 Happy Meals? Decisions, decisions.

Where's Devo when you need 'em?
Old 06-17-2002, 01:55 AM
rouxeny

Damn you all! Now you've got me all confused again. $2000 is a lot of money.... The thing about driving around is that currently, I know how to get from home to the hospital and back, and then to a few restaurants, a mall, and the movie theater. Otherwise, I'm not too familiar with much of the town I'm in. Then, I make occasional trips to NYC, where I typically end up driving down a one way street the wrong way, well, maybe just a few missed turns. Not that I'm a bad driver, just that driving in an unfamiliar city can be a little disorienting. Also, if I want to take a certain beautiful young lady out for a weekend, it'd be nice not to have to navigate on the way there.

So basically, I'm still leaning toward it, although all the cost arguments are very valid. Staying in, or at least near, your budget is a good thing. Hopefully, production has started, or at least I will be unable to add NAVI on and my choice will be made for me.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:39 AM
MSOsr

I tried to add nav on Friday and was told by the dealership I couldn't (after a call to Nissan). My car's "build list"is done and no changes can be made (due in September).
Old 06-17-2002, 04:29 AM
BrianZ

Default HELP!

I just read the instruction manual for the Navi in the Q45, and nowhere do I see that it does ANYTHING other than navigate!

Can someone who went to the Buena Park getogether help me out here: the Navi does *what* else???

Old 06-18-2002, 06:18 AM
Scafremon

Andrew,

I have a vision:

You, in your new Z, using the Nav to get you to the movie theater, and then realizing.... you don't have the cash for a movie ticket!

Navi = Fewer Movies
Old 06-18-2002, 06:22 AM
2003z

I think the nav area would be a good place to dock a cell phone and a PDA. My Ipaq always runs out of power, because I forget to recharge it. If I could recharge it easily and convenintly while I drive (like I do my cell phone) I wouldn't have to worry about it going dead (as I don't have to with my cell phone).
I am sure there is some space behind the storage compartment, and it would only take about an inch and a half to do what I am going to suggest. The only bad part is it requires a small hole to be drilled.

You can buy a cigarette lighter plug at pep boys or radio shack, install it in the back of that storage space (thats where the hole comes in) and plug you ipaq in there. I put an extra outlet in my glove compartments so you cant see the cell phone. Total cost is about $10 but in a glove box, you don't have to worry about the hole.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:22 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Andrew,

I have a vision:

You, in your new Z, using the Nav to get you to the movie theater, and then realizing.... you don't have the cash for a movie ticket!

Navi = Fewer Movies
LMAO. For whatever its worth, I agree with the posts who think you should stick with your original budget. You want to have plenty of cash to enjoy your car -- go on cross country drives, whatever. I would hold off on the Navi, you can always get one in the aftermarket if you find you really NEED it. Its not like the Nissan warrenty is that important on a Navi system -- at least I don't think it is.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:38 AM
chicago_z

as I stated in another thread...

I went ahead and added nav today.

As far as my budget... I blew that when I even decided to get the car at all

I'll be driving probably 4,000 miles a year and only really get lost when I'm in some of the suburbs (which is also rare) and there is no really good reason to get the NAV except that it will be nifty and I'm hoping it has some extra helpful features.

I'm a sucker for gadgets anyhow.

and who wants to sit in a MOVIE theater when they could be driving their Z instead???
Old 06-18-2002, 07:43 AM
a_p

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
So, $7000? Let's see, that would be six lap choley's, three appys, and two Hysters. Oh wait, you are still a resident. Sorry, NO SOUP FOR YOU! Hang in there man. Soon it will be worth it.
I agree with Dr. Bonz... do a few cases... Can't you moonlight or something? Trust me I'ld be getting a track model with Navi if I could moonlight. I'm starting my surgery prelim this friday. After that, I'll be enjoying the good hours and pay in anesthesiology. Hopefully I'll get away with moonlighting in a couple of years so that I can pay off my Z.