Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Test mule Spy pics and Video?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 PM
evolved326

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Hybrid, like someone already stated, that picture is obviously photoshopped.

In reality, closer objects should be larger in relation to perspective; but the opposite seems true in this case.

Bad photoshop is you ask me. It makes the gray "little" Z look like if its using 13 inch wheels compared to the black Z test mule and red 350Z.

I think this is the only photoshopped picture though. The others look legit.

um, its not a photochop dude. if you are far away and have a strong zoom, it looks liek that. As you are farther away, the perspective look is less. The eye "wants" to have things closer bigger and when it doesnt get it, it throws a tantrum and makes you all confused and it looks wierd. Ever notice how in some car pics, the front wheels look bigger than the back?

Last edited by evolved326; 06-13-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:09 PM
RBlover69

its obviously a new Z possibly 370Z. I for somereason doubt there gonna leave the Z at the same weight. There very weight conscious with the GTR and i belive there gonna do the same with the Z. THink about it to compare tot he cayman our Z will just have to loose weight with the 3.7HR. To be competetive thats all, our suspension is already great etc its just weight...the brakes already look proper.

I think nissan is more simple then we make them out to be . ..remember the 350z was set to compare to a porshe boxer. There just steppign up the ante with going after the cayman. Inorder to do so weight and the 3.7 and the g37 brakes is the solution plain and simple.

As far as a smaller coupe....we have the altima coupe....there not gonna take market share from its own marque cars makes no sense.

And its totally wrong that infiniti is going after the porshe market and not nissan its quiet opposite
infinitis goal has always been BMW. If you know infiniti then you should know its target is bmw ...they can careless about porshe.

Nissans goal with its performance has always been porshe...even the creator of Zs desgned it to be porshe like. Look at your Z numerous porshe cues etc....nissans GTR lappign with a 911 ....the 350 orignally lapped with a boxer and the 370 lapping with a caymen in a weight conerved body is really just a testament to what there doing.

I highley doubt its anything but a 370Z just as the g35 skyline was actually a GTskyline mule. Lets not get all davinci code on this lol.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:14 PM
evolved326

Originally Posted by RBlover69
its obviously a new Z possibly 370Z. I for somereason doubt there gonna leave the Z at the same weight. There very weight conscious with the GTR and i belive there gonna do the same with the Z. THink about it to compare tot he cayman our Z will just have to loose weight with the 3.7HR. To be competetive thats all, our suspension is already great etc its just weight...the brakes already look proper.

I think nissan is more simple then we make them out to be . ..remember the 350z was set to compare to a porshe boxer. There just steppign up the ante with going after the cayman. Inorder to do so weight and the 3.7 and the g37 brakes is the solution plain and simple.

As far as a smaller coupe....we have the altima coupe....there not gonna take market share from its own marque cars makes no sense.

And its totally wrong that infiniti is going after the porshe market and not nissan its quiet opposite
infinitis goal has always been BMW. If you know infiniti then you should know its target is bmw ...they can careless about porshe.

Nissans goal with its performance has always been porshe...even the creator of Zs desgned it to be porshe like. Look at your Z numerous porshe cues etc....nissans GTR lappign with a 911 ....the 350 orignally lapped with a boxer and the 370 lapping with a caymen in a weight conerved body is really just a testament to what there doing.

I highley doubt its anything but a 370Z just as the g35 skyline was actually a GTskyline mule. Lets not get all davinci code on this lol.

Good point. Makes sense its a Z casue it has a Porche for comparison. IT highly doubtful that anything les expensive in Nissan's lineup will be compared to a porche. That was the Z's original target. And since the Z has not been kown to own porches, its not likely nissan will push the tatget onto something lower than the Z.

But then again who knows...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:49 AM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
Nismo is not treated very well at all, per the information from 2003 when the Z was available in the US and Nismo was not even allowed a Z model from Nissan to fab prototypes with. Nissan Motor has kind of capitalized on the semi-legacy Nismo has built with their limited resources.

You can purchase Tommy Kaira and Mine's cars from dealerships in Japan, but not here. Nismo is more of a proprietory marketing gimmick here. I would actually prefer that they sell "Calsonic" 350's to Nismo... hell my wife's pickup is a "Nismo" Frontier.

Oh really..Good to know....Wish they would import those TK and Mines cars stateside....Price would most likely be close to 45k maybe even more..
Old 06-14-2007, 03:33 AM
Firehawk

I doubt that the z33 would be shorted by shortening the passenger area so that it would require shorter door. Just think how difficult it would be for ingress/egress. If anything, I would guess that the chopped roof means the car is a mule for a hardtop convertable.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 AM
durt

Originally Posted by Firehawk
I doubt that the z33 would be shorted by shortening the passenger area so that it would require shorter door. Just think how difficult it would be for ingress/egress. If anything, I would guess that the chopped roof means the car is a mule for a hardtop convertable.
I'm sure that if the next Z is shortened that it won't be by taking the existing car and shortening the door and roof line. I'm sure that cutting the door and roof was just the easiest way to make a mule that would have the right dimensions (wheelbase etc.) and weight for all of their calibrations and tuning for powertrain and suspension. The new Z will have all new tooling for the sheet metal so I'm sure the door and body proportions would be fixed then. It also looks like the front fascia is shortened quite a bit (it dives down faster) so it looks like they are trying to shorten the front overhang as well and want to test that effect in the mule.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 PM
jdifolco

This is your first post since 04. Welcome
Old 06-14-2007, 07:05 PM
NA350Z

Originally Posted by jdifolco
Old 06-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Seel

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
I know the perspective isn't right...but I aligned the rear axles of these two images to get an idea for how much was sectioned out:

Great work. A picture over a picture over a picture is worth 3 thousand words.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:39 AM
durt

Originally Posted by jdifolco
Yeah if I can get 1 more post in this year I'll be on track for one a year... not bad... I did join before because I was going to buy a Z... I got an RSX-S instead though... everyone knows they are the best car ever made right? (joking).... I bought the RSX for the wife but I will get a Z for myself someday!
Old 06-15-2007, 04:24 PM
TheProfessional

That door is shorter... can't figure that out... perhaps they are attempting to build a race car in a series that limits the length of the car entries??
Old 06-15-2007, 07:27 PM
kaizenro1

It's the 240z test mule. Hence it being smaller.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:55 PM
vaughn1576

I understand where the notion that this is Nissan's new small coupe comes from, but... I just can't believe that that is the case.

If this is a 240/small sports coupe mule testing with a Cayman S, I have to expect the next Z to have Carrera/Carrera S performance.

The small coupe was concept previewed by the Urge concept was initially expected to have Solictice/Miata like performance with a high-revving, small-displacement engine. I can't see them comparing a car like that with a 295 hp, 2954 pound cayman S. The Z isn't exactly on the Cayman's level now. Is this new small coupe going be slotted above the Z??? Doesn't make sense at all. That Cayman S is there for a reason.

Last edited by vaughn1576; 06-15-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:10 AM
vaughn1576

Default It's a Z not a the small coupe...

Test Mule Spotted at the Nurburgring Is Next-Gen Nissan 350Z

NURBURG, Germany — When Nissan showed up at the Nürburgring test track in Germany with a new prototype coupe earlier this week, we initially pegged it as the production version of the Urge concept. Since then, we've dug into the details and it's now looking more like the next-generation 350Z.

Although the prototype is clearly shorter than a standard Z coupe, it's not dramatic enough to signal a completely new vehicle. Our information indicates that the reworked chassis is nothing more than Nissan's attempt to shave some weight from the Z.

At roughly 3,900 pounds, the current model is on the heavy side compared to its competitors. Instead of employing exotic materials to get the weight down, however, Nissan is simply carving down the chassis a little. With a current wheelbase of 104.3 inches, the next Z isn't likely to go as small as the 95.1-inch-wheelbase Porsche Cayman. We're guessing something in between the two numbers is a safe bet.

Another clear sign of this prototype's intentions were the cars on hand as benchmarks. According to spy photographers in the area, Nissan was testing the Z prototype alongside a BMW Z coupe and a Cayman. As lofty as Nissan's goals are, it's not realistic to think it's benchmarking an entry-level $20K coupe against that kind of European iron.

Also consider that the current 350Z is at the end of its lifecycle. The 2008 model will mark six years on the market, so it's clearly due for a heavy redesign. Look for a name change, too, as we fully expect to see the 3.7-liter V6 from the Infiniti G37 under the hood of this new Z.

What this means to you: A cheap, rear-wheel-drive Nissan sports car may come eventually, but this prototype isn't it. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121266
The article pretty much helps proves my point. Minus them quoting the current Z weight as "about 3900 lbs". The wheelbase looks to be about 97 inches according to the overlay pictures.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:17 AM
pimp1911

Originally Posted by vaughn1576
The article pretty much helps proves my point. Minus them quoting the current Z weight as "about 3900 lbs". The wheelbase looks to be about 97 inches according to the overlay pictures.

Nice Post.
Some past Z Wheelbase numbers.

240Z 90.7
260Z 90.7
280Z 90.7
280ZX 91.3
300ZX 91.3 3rd gen
300ZX 97.0 4th gen
350Z 104.3

2+2 numbers arent included. Would be nice to land between the 3rd and 4th gen.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:06 AM
noleafclover217

IMO- the black mule is the future model z (370z?) nissan knows the z is not practical for anything other than pure driving. Nissan will add the larger 3.7 and reduce the size of the car, hopfully reducing weight. This 370z will compete with the cayman, now that it has a larger engine and smaller chassis it will be more purpose driven... and will probably be re designed with bigger breaks(G37'S?) and maybe different engine location to accomidate the shorter chassis to further enhance the cars handling characteristics to compete more with the superior handling of porsche... the new 370z will the new cayman killer... just as the 300zx tt was the corvette killer in its day... history repeats itself... or so i hope

Last edited by noleafclover217; 06-18-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Chuck_H

Few more shots

Testing with the Lexus LF-A......
Old 06-18-2007, 10:21 AM
pimp1911

If Nissan does do what we are hoping they will do. I would jump ship to a newer Z. I think Nissan is trying to not destroy the enthusiasm(ie value,cult following) they have with the Z33 and make refinements with the Z34. Would future gen Z owners be happy with a refinement vs a complete design change? Kinda of like what the Z31 went through(Sharp edges to a rounded look). Another example is Porsche. There was a time when you really couldn't tell what year 911 someone was driving. Then the 959 showed up and shaked things up.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:44 AM
xray2

Originally Posted by noleafclover217
IMO- the black mule is the future model z (370z?) nissan knows the z is not practical for anything other than pure driving. Nissan will add the larger 3.7 and reduce the size of the car, hopfully reducing weight. This 370z will compete with the cayman, now that it has a larger engine and smaller chassis it will be more purpose driven... and will probably be re designed with bigger breaks(G37'S?) and maybe different engine location to accomidate the shorter chassis to further enhance the cars handling characteristics to compete more with the superior handling of porsche... the new 370z will the new cayman killer... just as the 300zx tt was the corvette killer in its day... history repeats itself... or so i hope
Totally agree with this statement.

There is no doub that the engine size is going 3.7 liter.
Nissan has realized that the Z is getting fat and falling behind as the marquee lineup in its stable. The GTR + Z are going to represent Nissan massive "bargain" sports fury, and you can't have a portly Z with a minor power boost doing battle with the Porsche target.

The GTR is a 4 second car, and the Z better be a 5 or lower when the stable is filled next year.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
DustinZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry but I didn't read the whole thread and I have a question. I just found this thread and I would like to know what the hell is up with the headlights. Why does it look like they are poking out of the car so far? Sorry again but I couldn't read the whole thread.

Quick Reply: Test mule Spy pics and Video?