Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Thinking of trading in my 350z for 370z.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 AM
kingpin.andy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it. Wait til they get cheaper. I almost did the same thing with my '03 base model that had some minor upgrades at the time (wheels/tires, intake, sound system). They offered me more than I thought I would get when I talked to one guy, then they started playing dealership games. I already had the loan from my credit union, so I went in to negotiate the price of the 370. Thing is, once you get them to drop the price, then they start offering less and less for your 350, claiming it will cost them like $2000 to get it ready to sell, blah blah blah. Eventually, I told em to F*ck off and I was gonna take my $10k check and go buy parts for my 350. I probably could have gotten them to a reasonable price for my car, but I was so irate that they started offering 16k, then the "store manager" said he'd only give me 8 at the most, I just walked out. The way I see it now, I'm glad I kept mine, because I only paid 14.5k for it, so even if i spent 20k on upgrades, it would be the same price as a brand new 370 loaded up, and outperform it any day on any sort of track. If you really want a new car (they're nice to have) then do it, but realize that you could do better by upgrading yours, if that is in fact your goal. All depends on what you want out of your Z, a nice new shiny toy that not many others have (and also is pretty bad ***), or a slightly older car with similar stock performance that you can mod the sh*t out of and have a street/track beast! Either way, it's a good chunk o dough.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:15 PM
xray2

Originally Posted by Iceman007
Ok guys, got a whole different senario, but have been looking at upgrading (if that's what ya call it) from the 350z to 370z. I have an 04 350 with 68,000 miles, rims, a few mods. So my dad recently mentioned he was going to upgrade from his 04 Lexus LS430 to probably the LS460 I think it is. Great looking luxury car, 60,000 miles or so, sport package I think its called on there. Now I was thinking, keep my Z and buy his as a daily driver, or sell my Z, get a 370, Vette, or a Camaro SS. Any thoughts? I cant decide what to do. Oh yeah, the only thing about adding more mods than I have now is it's an automatic, would that keep ya from holding onto it and turning it into a weekend, street car?
Well, an interesting scenario. Depending on where you are, a daily driver might not make sense. Here in SoCal, I drive the Z everyday. I wouldn't even want a dd. A 430 is a big old person car, so it's radically different from a Z, although if you want to hear yourself talk and enjoy better AC and plush seats then I am all for it.

The Camaro SS and Vette are kind of similar (engine wise). The Vette is a huge wide car, with the shittiest Hyundai interior. Not just bashing Hyundai since Honda, Nissan, Toyota all have gone backwards in interior quality. Maybe Nissan less so, since they had a crappy interior to begin with.

Anyway, getting off topic. The Vette is a monster, but a very cumbersome sports car. It is so huge and powerful, I didn't really feel comfortable in it. One the performance scale it is well above the Z, depending on the various LS engine iterations.

I test drove the Camaro around for a while. Same issue of giant vehicle. It feels like a rocket powered brick. It's ridiculously powerful, but can't turn, nor can you judge where the end of the car is.

I am personally waiting for the next Z rather than the 370z. It didn't feel like a huge upgrade, and the cost difference for the entry-level is now significant.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:28 PM
pnkZ33

there bull crapping you...not gonna give you 20k for ur ride bro...if you Z is 06 and below ur just gonna get like 10g....buddy of mine have 05 Z with like 35k...and thats all he got!!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman007
Ok guys, got a whole different senario, but have been looking at upgrading (if that's what ya call it) from the 350z to 370z. I have an 04 350 with 68,000 miles, rims, a few mods. So my dad recently mentioned he was going to upgrade from his 04 Lexus LS430 to probably the LS460 I think it is. Great looking luxury car, 60,000 miles or so, sport package I think its called on there. Now I was thinking, keep my Z and buy his as a daily driver, or sell my Z, get a 370, Vette, or a Camaro SS. Any thoughts? I cant decide what to do. Oh yeah, the only thing about adding more mods than I have now is it's an automatic, would that keep ya from holding onto it and turning it into a weekend, street car?
Get the vette.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 AM
350z_this

You own your Z now, just keep it. Less headaches less worries and you have the option to do whatever you like. Even for INS purposes you don't even need full coverage, just liability........ If you add up all the numbers into upgrading, there's a lot of cost involved not just the cost difference bt the two cars..........
I have an 04 ZR with 48k touring...... Clean title, ALL mine can't say that if I upgrade
Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the choice of getting a new 370Z or a leftover new 350Z in July of 2009. I liked the 350 better. Yeah, the price difference was significantly in favor of the 350, but that wasn't the deciding factor.

I've recently had the chance to drive several 370s, and I still like mine better. I wouldn't trade mine even money for a similar 370, if I was going to have to drive the car.

The one thing I'd like to have from the 370 is the 7-speed AT. I DO like that.

Last edited by winchman; 02-16-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
VeeTec

Still prefer the 07-08, too bad I don't have it.

Actually, I will buy another 07-08 eventually. Maybe next winter. You get a lot for the money, and after $5 a gallon gas prices come, they will be even cheaper. Everyone will be driving hatchbacks.*hmmmmm*

Last edited by VeeTec; 03-05-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJackson
I think what makes this car more rarely seen on the road is the price tag. $40k for fully loaded is a big pill to swallow when you could get a 350z back in the day for $32k fully loaded, or an enthusiast model for a shade under 29k.
That is not true.

My 2003, new in 2003 was a track model with Nav ($2200 IIRC) which in itself is a rare option, especially at this trim level and that was $40K back in early 03'. Most "loaded" Performance or Touring models with NO nav were as you described though.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 AM
haggomyeggo

I say go for it. I just did this week. I traded in my 03' touring with factory nav on a 09' Touring with the sport pack 370 and I have one thing to say to all of you who think the 350 is better...you are ALL CRAZY.

im saying this lighthearted so dont start some holy war over my comments
but the 370 is in another world.
the interior is just wonderful on the touring model, seats more comfortable, guages are just perfect, tranny shifts much smoother and no more of that flywheel rattle on a 6mt
the ride, interior, and oh god the power. I know i drove an 03 and the 07-08s were a little faster but my buddies 08 gets just walked by my 370 now. the 370 just keeps pulling where the 350 kinda dies out at upper ranges.

I got a great trade in on my car and the 370 was priced very well so thats why I did it. And I now have a huge warranty in case anything happens. No matter where you live in the country give Lou Fusz Nissan a call in St. Louis and ask for Lou himself. He is happy to ship a 370 anywhere in the country and he will probably give you the best deal on one as well. He is a huge Z guy himself and is great an answering any and all questions.

so i say GO FOR IT!!!! you will not regret it
Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM
riteonjon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by driftinvq
Keep your 350. It's only two years old and paid off. It's the smart thing to do and you know it
This man speaks the truth. This thread maybe dead and old, but a paid off car (350z) is better than a new car w/ $600 payments.

Most people now a days can't afford an additional $600/month given the economy stagnation and job security in the US.

Be smart with your money. It really comes down to need vs. want.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

14 months are we still thinking? My brain will be overfilled with thinking.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Itzcashew

I'd drive a paid off car vs. a new car. Let me tell you something, buyer remorse is always going to happen with every purchase. Locked in a contract and that remorse turn into pain and suffering.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 PM
MaelstrØm

There are some downsides to the 370z - the interior is a lot smaller for us tall people. The interior is nicer, however the materials are prone to scratches and tears (soft dash). The 370z is somewhat strange and immemorable looking.

It just isn't that compelling, especially with 350zs having low miles can be found for mid-teens.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 AM
URNZWAY

Originally Posted by davidv

14 months are we still thinking? My brain will be overfilled with thinking.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Cars & Coffee

I would kept my 350Z, but it was an 06 (used) and the warranty was over still owing about 3 yrs on it. I would it kept if it were a 350Z 07 or 08.

I like both cars but I think the 370Z is a little more refine.

BTW, I love all Zs.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:53 AM
scrapser

I bought my 350Z Touring AT-6 in April, 2006 for $30K. It was used and had 554 miles on it. I paid off the 5 year loan in three years so I've had a clear title now for 2 1/2 years. The car currently has 27K miles on it.

Even the Nissan dealer admits buying a 370Z would be a dumb move. He tried to get me interested during a recent service maintenance visit but then I told him the details above.

I'm happy with my 350 and patiently waiting for what replaces the 370 eventually. Hopefully it will be a brand new design that stands on its own ground and makes a mark for itself just like the previous designs did. For me the 370 is more of an interim step...a hybrid of previous designs.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by CoAsTeR
I did. It was definetely worth the upgrade :-)

Me too... However, it took me a couple of other not so fun cars to get there.

I just bought my Base 370Z Sport with rev-match auto / paddles and love it.

My previous 350Z was a GunMetal with manual tranny ... Now Silver with Auto. I realy like the upgrade !!!! It's amazing how fast you can go through the gears in the auto. Fast without a lot of effort. On the street in traffic you don't get the lazy shift delay you get when your cruisin' in a manual.

The power is always there and you don't have to decide what gear is right if you don't want to. However, that part holds true if you are in the Manual Mode.

I'll have to say the rev shifter revs a little high on the downshift sometimes... I'm sure it's there to mesh the gears a bit better and take into account braking while you shift etc. I love to be able to downshift while braking without the footwork.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 09-27-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

So the real question is do you want a car payment again or not. My vote is always not.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
So the real question is do you want a car payment again or not. My vote is always not.
Yeah, my 350Z was paid off as well .... Too bad some idiot rear ended me. Doh But, looking at the outcome it didn't turn out so bad. It gave me a chance to own a newer Z after owning a couple of other cars. Plus in my case, if I hadn't kept upgrading I'd still be in my 280zx.

However, please do not take that last statement as a 350Z is a old car not worth keeping. In many respects, it does many things very well. My opinion is that the 370Z does things just a little better and if you are considering the move to a new car and have the money.... go for it !!!!

BTW - This is a very old thread. However, This conversation is worth revisiting from time to time.

PS. Anyone need 350Z Mats / Cargo Rugs ... Cheap. These will be on Marketplace soon.

Pictures of the 370Z soon....

Last edited by Z_Driver; 09-27-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Alright guys, I'm going to do another thread hijack and ask the same sort of question...but with a bit of a twist.

Right now at this moment I'm looking at a re-assignment (Air Force) and could be moving from Ohio to Texas for about 9 months worth of training and a new base assignment once completed. About 3 days ago I received an email from the guy I bought my '03 Track from saying he's ready to buy it back if I'm willing to sell...probably around the same price I bought it for since I only got it back in February.

I've only added the parts in my Sig, along with a very nice (complete) audio system with quality JL subwoofers in paint matched fiberglass box, eclipse components, and memphis 2-ways, all powered by an alphasonik 5-channel.

Where I sit right now I see a few options...

1. Keep it and trailer it to Texas, MIGHT get a place with a garage to keep it in...right now it is garage kept and that's the way I like it...my paint is nearly flawless.

2. Keep it and store it in TN (my hometown) for the time being while at training...however having to still make a payment on top of whatever the cost is of a decent storage unit. No miles added, and ready for whenever I want to come get it.

3. Let the guy make me an offer...I WILL NOT get upside down on what's left that I owe...and he really wants it back bad. Has been in contact with me ever since I drove away with it so I don't expect any type of lowballing.

So, I feel comfortable with possibly selling because I've really come to love the look of the Nismo 370. I probably won't find a buyer a couple years from now that would be willing to work with me like this guy.

I like the look of both...370 Nismo will obviously be newer, nicer, faster, etc...but the 350 has dug it's way into my soul.

I'd be able to make a Nismo 370 purchase once my training was completed and I arrived at my new base...

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for the help and opinions!

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in my 350z for 370z.