Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Thinking of trading in my 350z for 370z.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RENFRO
Alright guys, I'm going to do another thread hijack and ask the same sort of question...but with a bit of a twist.

Right now at this moment I'm looking at a re-assignment (Air Force) and could be moving from Ohio to Texas for about 9 months worth of training and a new base assignment once completed. About 3 days ago I received an email from the guy I bought my '03 Track from saying he's ready to buy it back if I'm willing to sell...probably around the same price I bought it for since I only got it back in February.

I've only added the parts in my Sig, along with a very nice (complete) audio system with quality JL subwoofers in paint matched fiberglass box, eclipse components, and memphis 2-ways, all powered by an alphasonik 5-channel.

Where I sit right now I see a few options...

1. Keep it and trailer it to Texas, MIGHT get a place with a garage to keep it in...right now it is garage kept and that's the way I like it...my paint is nearly flawless.

2. Keep it and store it in TN (my hometown) for the time being while at training...however having to still make a payment on top of whatever the cost is of a decent storage unit. No miles added, and ready for whenever I want to come get it.

3. Let the guy make me an offer...I WILL NOT get upside down on what's left that I owe...and he really wants it back bad. Has been in contact with me ever since I drove away with it so I don't expect any type of lowballing.

So, I feel comfortable with possibly selling because I've really come to love the look of the Nismo 370. I probably won't find a buyer a couple years from now that would be willing to work with me like this guy.

I like the look of both...370 Nismo will obviously be newer, nicer, faster, etc...but the 350 has dug it's way into my soul.

I'd be able to make a Nismo 370 purchase once my training was completed and I arrived at my new base...

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for the help and opinions!
You know it's hard to let go... but, in your case I'd sell it back to him for what you paid for it and then after things are to your liking ... buy a NISMO 370Z .. they are that much better than the old car. This is coming from one that has owned many Z Cars over the years.

And a couple more that I do not have the pictures for anymore.

The Z's just keep getting better ... Don't worry there is another Z in your life ...
Once you've driven a Z you always come back.

They are fast, fun, built strong, rattle free and run forever...

That brown '86 300ZX Turbo ... wasn't as fast as the others but, with the tops off... man, that was a fun ride.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-02-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the insight man ^ Great looking Z's there. I actually drove the car by the guys place yesterday to let him see it. He definitely wants it back and offered more for it than I bought it from him for.

I think the next year will be tough, especially when I see other Z's driving around...but I'm definitely dead set on a Nismo 370...I've already been shopping around for them.

I'll update this thread as things happen.

Thanks again
Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Visualize to materialize ...
Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
I don't know if I quite agree with you on that one.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Well, every Nissan I've owned new has been rattle free. The 370Z is my tenth Nissan. The used Z's I've owned were made made rattle free with little effort. Now watch ... I'll develop a rattle now that I have stated so. But, I know what you mean.

GM's on the other hand .... you'll never get rid of that rattle. It's mostly the plastic rubbing design on those cars... The rattles are built in "For Free."

Actually, that is the one thing I can't stand about my Vette is if you lean on a door panel or center console it's squeaks no matter how much anti-rub preventative you install. It just creaks like an old rusty door.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-12-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM
MaelstrØm

How do you fix the squeaks in the 350z? I have identified several, but have no idea what to apply to fix them.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

every Z owner I know has had rattles. we've even had lots of local 'find/fix rattle' day / gatherings. drove me nuts. I can't tell you how many times I ripped apart my dash, padding / taping things down hoping for the best .. only to have apparently missed my mark : (

one of the common rattles comes from the knee guard under the passenger dash. I don't recall if this was a certain model year or what. I was able to fix that one by using a little double sided tape on the front side of the knee guard. it was causing metal to metal contact prior to that.

Mael - unfortunately, it's a bit of a guessing game. you identify the location as well as you can, then you slowly take things apart and try to identify/replicate them .. then you pad them, tape things down .. get creative : )
Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Entaille
every Z owner I know has had rattles. we've even had lots of local 'find/fix rattle' day / gatherings. drove me nuts. I can't tell you how many times I ripped apart my dash, padding / taping things down hoping for the best .. only to have apparently missed my mark : (

one of the common rattles comes from the knee guard under the passenger dash. I don't recall if this was a certain model year or what. I was able to fix that one by using a little double sided tape on the front side of the knee guard. it was causing metal to metal contact prior to that.

Mael - unfortunately, it's a bit of a guessing game. you identify the location as well as you can, then you slowly take things apart and try to identify/replicate them .. then you pad them, tape things down .. get creative : )
Sorry to hear that Entaille - Your car must have been made on a Friday they say. I've been fortunate I guess. I haven't really heard of rattles being a major issue. Did you buy your car new? You do have the right idea when it comes to rattle ID. It helps if you have a friend listen while you drive. Padding or the cloth side of velcro tape works well. I've battled quite a few rattles in my time. The biggest offender is my Motorhome. If it's not a plastic dash panel it's dishes in the cupboard.

The only rattle I've had in my Z was the seat belt bangin' against the door jamb on passenger side. That happens is all my cars though. I just connect it as if the passenger is there. No more rattle.... Wish you luck... I know how it can be.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Blingalong

I just picked up a 6mt black 08 touring model, nabbed it for a few k under blue book (i am mid west, so we dont get the crazy deals I hear some poeple get on Z's) my 08 had 4k on it when i bought it (still under 5k, like I said just got it). For another 2k, I could have picked up a lightly used 2010 370. TBH, if it comes between a loaded HR or a base or sport 370, with the price difference, I would still get the 350. Sure in a few years the loaded 370's will be cheaper, so maybe try that?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Z_Driver
Master

For me.... It would be the base and mod the heck out of it. Oh wait, that's what I'm doing. Thought the same as you just went the other route. Probably a difference of about 7-8K though. For 2K I'd do it again for sure.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:12 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove several 370s (and a whole bunch of other cars) before I bought my leftover '08 350 in July '09. True, I got a great deal on the car, but I could easily have afforded a 370. I simply liked the 350 more.

I was at the local dealer yesterday to get an oil filter, and I noticed they had just got a new 370 coupe with the 7AT. I rounded up a salesman, and took it for a drive. For sure, it's nice, it's new, and it's got that great 7AT, but I still like the 350 better for the same reasons I did back in '09.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I just put my 350Z's splitter on yesterday. You can see it on my old 350Z above. It was like bringing my car back from the dead. Now, I'm getting ready to do a couple carbon fiber accents, intake /exhaust and maybe upgrade that stereo. Hopefully, I can get this all done by Christmas.

I was thinking about painting the fangs semi-flat black; now.... I'm liking it just as it is. I also took off the factory sport spoiler and I don't rub going up and down driveways. I like it much better now. I can always bolt the stock spoiler back on using the same mounting holes but, I do not think that will happen. I'm liking how this turned out.

BTW- 1150 miles ... Almost done with break-in Woo Hoo !!!! .....

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-27-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Houston Z33

IMO if you have an 03-06 350Z, Then hell yeah trade that joint in - And the 370Z didn't have any huge changes from 09-?? (that '13 Refresh is it for the Z34) so you can get an '09 and not feel left out by newer ones because there were no MAJOR changes (unlike the Z33)

Now if you have an 07-08 with an HR in it?, It's all about looks an interior at that point, The performance is not worth the added car note IMO - from most I've spoke to an HR w/ Basic Bolt Ons = Stock 370Z....Nismo 370's have a bit more oomph to them.

Quite frankly I just got my '07, Once Nismo 370's get close to 20k (within another 3 yrs or so) - I'm making the jump.

Last edited by Houston Z33; 02-28-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You know it's hard to let go... but, in your case I'd sell it back to him for what you paid for it and then after things are to your liking ... buy a NISMO 370Z .. they are that much better than the old car. This is coming from one that has owned many Z Cars over the years.

And a couple more that I do not have the pictures for anymore.

The Z's just keep getting better ... Don't worry there is another Z in your life ...
Once you've driven a Z you always come back.

That brown '86 300ZX Turbo ... wasn't as fast as the others but, with the tops off... man, that was a fun ride.
370Z is beautiful. Congratulations. Glad you decided to take the plunge instead of whining about progress.

Last edited by davidv; 02-28-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had my 370Z for about 3 years. This debate feels like ancient history.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 AM
phos

I have had my 370Z for about 3 years. This debate feels like ancient history.[/QUOTE]

That's great; I appreciate in advance any and all tips & info you 'old-timerz & z-geezerz' may and do have for some newby like me who just drove home late last night 30 miles on empty road in 2012 BC 370 MT w/S.P., after trade-in on '08 350 MT enth {16k $, 50k m.} Y, a new 370 rolls toward the endless horizon.

Btw, for any thinking about it, just take a test drive for 15 min.
Then, you'll !Know! I know, you're really worrying about not being able
to resist. Resistance is futile, get over it already.

Drives larger, with a floating effect, yet tighter feel. In dark, you'll notice more lighted controls, a x-mas tree cockpit effect. Sport mode had been turned on; didn't know how to turn it off but now I don't want to! Temp around 180 whole way, though 'should' be 212. I was doing the 10-75-10 mph gear dancing in the dark. Have only 1/2 pack of sigs for next 2 weeks, but gotta have -some- priorities.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by davidv
370Z is beautiful. Congratulations. Glad you decided to take the plunge instead of whining about progress.
Your so right ... It like everything else... price keeps going up... but, you get a little more each time so I'm good with that until they come out with a 450HP Hybrid Z that get 40mpg.

I love my Z's and they just seem to be getting better and better.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by davidv

I have had my 370Z for about 3 years. This debate feels like ancient history.
Now that is B-E-A-utiful ... I wish they would have had a yellow Z on the lot when I bought mine. Silver is good - But, that yellow is exotic.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-03-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 PM
paulmess7

Can anybody comment on the change in their insurance premiums when switching from a 350z to a 370z? I'm afraid to call and ask... I got a moving violation and my premiums haven't gone up after renewal, I'd like to stay under their radar and not talk to them, hah.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 AM
vtecsux

Now that is B-E-A-utiful ... I wish they would have had a yellow Z on the lot when I bought mine. Silver is good - But, that yellow is exotic.
looks like a fast Taxi