Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

The Brutal Truth about the Z35

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 PM
Sparklan

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah they could just throw that Infiniti motor in these. Nip here, tuck there, badge it 400Z and call it a day. Even a NISMO model! Seriously though, these 280's had such a great look. Inspiration made easy if you ask me...

400Z

400Z NISMO

The following users liked this post:
SmoothZ (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 02:40 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Man, I wish the new Z would look something like that.

I truly appreciate the look of a retro S30. They're damn sexy!
Old 04-16-2020, 05:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,261 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
Man, I wish the new Z would look something like that.

I truly appreciate the look of a retro S30. They're damn sexy!
42 years since the last S30 rolled off the assembly line and we're still in love with the original. The ones pictured above are almost identical to two of my originals. Same air dam, flares (mine were moulded as all the good ones were back then. Laff).... But ya, they still look good.

Anyhow, more "optimistic artist renderings" of the purported 400Z.... I do like the elevation view (1st pic) of this interpretation. Interesting that "Datsun" is on the drawing.

But ya, yet another masturbatory exercise in automotive wishdom.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
rustyschopshop (04-16-2020), SmoothZ (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:21 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Hate to breakup this love fest for the S30, but the 2020 pandemic and recession/depression has severely affected R&D for major carmakers worldwide. The BRUTAL TRUTH is that Nissan has kept its eye on bringing fresh product to its lineup, but volume products like a new Rogue are most critically needed. The 2021 Rogue will likely debut this fall and must continue its sales success for Nissan recover. Meanwhile, small market products like the new Z35 may have been dealt, if not a fatal blow, at least one that puts it back a year ot two.

I realize this is not what most Z enthusiasts want to hear, least of all, me. But the BRUTAL TRUTH is Nissan--like most of the automotive world--is in a fight for economic survival. If the plans for a future Z survive, I would bet it's because of the passion of insiders in the company itself willing it to happen. Let's hope so, although products that sell in the hundreds of thousands are what's needed, not a sportscar that's likely to struggle to sell in the recovering economy.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:33 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Hate to breakup this love fest for the S30, but the 2020 pandemic and recession/depression has severely affected R&D for major carmakers worldwide. The BRUTAL TRUTH is that Nissan has kept its eye on bringing fresh product to its lineup, but volume products like a new Rogue are most critically needed. The 2021 Rogue will likely debut this fall and must continue its sales success for Nissan recover. Meanwhile, small market products like the new Z35 may have been dealt, if not a fatal blow, at least one that puts it back a year ot two.

I realize this is not what most Z enthusiasts want to hear, least of all, me. But the BRUTAL TRUTH is Nissan--like most of the automotive world--is in a fight for economic survival. If the plans for a future Z survive, I would bet it's because of the passion of insiders in the company itself willing it to happen. Let's hope so, although products that sell in the hundreds of thousands are what's needed, not a sportscar that's likely to struggle to sell in the recovering economy.

Oh pishposh, David. Hope you enjoy sitting on and popping my balloon, you bully.

How dare you bring pragmatism and reality into this convo!!

Old 04-17-2020, 08:11 AM
Sparklan

dkmura = Bubble Buster

Let's not forget that sports car enthusiasts don't care much for reality or being practical. If we did, we would all be driving minivans. Not that's there's anything wrong with minivans...

Also, the right car with the right marketing could bring in customers to buy all those practical cars, aaaand the right car will look something like a S30. Just sayin...
Old 04-17-2020, 10:38 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Oh pishposh, David. Hope you enjoy sitting on and popping my balloon, you bully.

How dare you bring pragmatism and reality into this convo!!
LOL- this entire thread was intended to bring a measure of pragmatism and reality into the airy-fairy world of "the next Z car is just around the corner". Of course, I'd love to BELIEVE that it's true, but reality says otherwise. It says something since this thread has been going since 2015 and we're still wishing like crazy....
Old 04-17-2020, 11:14 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

LOL- this entire thread was intended to bring a measure of pragmatism and reality into the airy-fairy world of "the next Z car is just around the corner". Of course, I'd love to BELIEVE that it's true, but reality says otherwise. It says something since this thread has been going since 2015 and we're still wishing like crazy....
Wellllll, Nissan is just building pent-up demand!! Very clever marketing!!!!

Unfortunately, the jaded market segment that includes me is just bored and fed up with their failure to get outside the box of pragmatism and build us another loss leader. You know, a loss leader in that people go in to "see the Z car" then realize how much monthly payments are and exit with a Sentra (which are actually now the size, speed and more-nice than a few year old <Glute> Maxima.)
Old 04-17-2020, 01:44 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Mic- your pishposh comments on marketing are just breaking me up! Only YOU know how to bandy about those esoteric blandishments and stick 'em in my face. And you're right about the new Sentra, which looks to be a huge improvement over its predecessor. But better than a Maxima with a VQ? I'd still go for the Nissan with that smooth V6!
Old 04-18-2020, 07:42 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Mic- your pishposh comments on marketing are just breaking me up! Only YOU know how to bandy about those esoteric blandishments and stick 'em in my face. And you're right about the new Sentra, which looks to be a huge improvement over its predecessor. But better than a Maxima with a VQ? I'd still go for the Nissan with that smooth V6!
Haha..... well, my minor degree is in marketing.

But ya, I cannot blame Nissan any more than any other company for not delivering us consumers things that might ultimately lose them money. I get that. But seriously, if just seems excessively long to run a generation of vehicle for 12 model years with nary a change to it. Aside from the 2015 facelift, nothing's really been done to the Z - including drivetrain, suspension, etc, all identical - so nobody should ever wonder why it's not selling. Your pragmatism speaks to this point and I personally think that if they're NOT going to do anything, just kill the damn thing. Stop doing stupid things to it like bright yellow "Heritage" paint jobs, or striped "Anniversary" packages with nothing else behind the facade. UGGGGGHHHH. What an ignominous fate for such a vaunted automobile.

And yeah, you first published the OP of this thread in 2015!!! And here we are five years hence with only the horrid models I just mentioned above wearing the Z badge... with little honor. Sad to say, Mister K would be ashamed methinks.

Please, Nissan, I challenge you to prove me wrong. I can take it. Really. Truly. No, seriously.

[End Rant]
Old 04-19-2020, 06:20 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Could you imagine the insanity if Nissan would announce the production of the 380Z using a "lesser" version of the VR38 minus the turbos? OR, if they begin research into the V8 400Z? A high revving, flat-plane V8 at that.

Both the 370Z and R35 are fcking TIRED designs. At this point I'd rather see them die than drag on for another ten years.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:28 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well, in my role as "Most Trusted Advisor", Mister Nissan-san asked me to take their latest car out for a drive so I gathered some of my peeps and head out into the mountains (Mt. Ohira) for a little scenic fun. Somehow, someone captured us in a photo! When I found out who, I confiscated his phone then punted him off the side of the mountain. Fortunately into a planned soft landing in the tules.

I'm J/K, OK!? (Sad I even have to point that out.)

But ya, credible? I mean, it appears to be an actual picture, not a render. Hmmmm......

I dunno, that "racing prototype" roof/cabin and compound angle door structure somehow seems a little complex for production line but.... what do I know?

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-21-2020 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:29 AM
bboypuertoroc

Looks like a photoshopped GR Supra.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:40 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Looks like a photoshopped GR Supra.

Ya, maybe.... lots of similarities. Wait, I know...... Nissan has ALSO bought their new Z from BMW!!! That's it!!!

Ew. Bite my tongue. Oh lawdy, that would be P-A-I-N-F-U-L....
bboypuertoroc (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 05:49 AM
Sparklan

There's no new Supra, there's a Z4. BMW is just selling it at Toyota dealerships. Not a fan, and I think that rendering looks much better than the Supra. Although there may be thermal issues with no grill...
Old 04-21-2020, 06:15 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Sparklan
There's no new Supra, there's a Z4. BMW is just selling it at Toyota dealerships. Not a fan, and I think that rendering looks much better than the Supra. Although there may be thermal issues with no grill...
Nahh, Tesla and other electrics have no problem with similar close/aero front ends.

Ooooops, dammit, wait, I wasn't supposed to say that!

Never mind! Disregard. Just a raving madman. Nothing to be seen here. Move along, move along!

Old 04-21-2020, 06:23 AM
Sparklan

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Nahh, Tesla and other electrics have no problem with similar close/aero front ends.
Too late, can't take it back. Blasphemy! Can we stone people in this forum? I don't see a single rock throwing smiley... lol.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:12 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Too late, can't take it back. Blasphemy! Can we stone people in this forum? I don't see a single rock throwing smiley... lol.
Laff.... I jest but I gotta tell ya, while electric seems boring (no internal combustion roar out the exhaust and all that), electric is QUICK!!

First time I drove a Tesla was when the P85D was released and they invited us down to Pebble Beach to try a few models out. Holeeeee shid.... scared the heck out of me. You take those old electric bumper cars with the instant-on-instant-go and multiply by about 200. Yow! 0-60 in 3.1 seconds. I've driven a few race cars that might do that. But hardly. Then there's the one I haven't/probably won't drive..... P100D. 2.5 seconds to 60. Shee, people are worried about accidents on auto-pilot? Uhhh, how about "Right Foot Madness"?
Old 04-21-2020, 07:36 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

OK, while SIPpin with the rest of the world, found yet more "new Z sightings".... this one obviously provided by someone with far too much time on his/her hands (more than me!)... Complete with "rendering renderings" and "brochure views" with a color chart!! Yowza!

Rendering of a rendering.

What view of a Z would be complete without a set of TE37s and a glimpse back at the original inspiration??

Brochure "action" photos.

"Base" model and "Nismo"

And "Available Colors". Alrighty then....where's "Blurple"?

Oy..... I am SOOOOOOO BORED!!!!!!

That obvious, eh?

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-21-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:17 AM
bboypuertoroc

Sharing parts with BMW isn't a bad thing. I love the new Supra after being around them in person and am even considering buying one. Would have to do a manual swap which is like an extra $12k on top.

I'm VERY happy the Supra is back.
Navyflyer72 (12-19-2022)

Quick Reply: The Brutal Truth about the Z35