Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:40 AM
350z-Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motormouth
the turbo... it is AWD dummie. stop talking already.
Read the article you asshat.

"with the 911 Turbo managing 7:38 and the GT2 getting down to 7:34."

The GT2 is RWD and is faster than the Turbo by 4 seconds and is AWD. RWD faster than AWD in the same platform around the same track. DO you get it now?? Do I need to spell it out more for you?

RWD > AWD on the Nordschleife

Now stop talking already "motormouth"

Good lord, where do these people come from honestly? The internet is full of smart guys.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:44 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
The internet is full of smart guys.
Originally Posted by blasian

The extra HP + RWD = 4 second gain

Same power + 300-400lbs + more sophisticated AWD system = 16 seconds slower than the Turbo.

Makes a lot of sense to me.
I agree.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Greg06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO I don't think Nissan gives a crap about what Porsche says. Corporately speaking Porsche is pretty insignificant compared to Nissan.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:46 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by r0csfinest
i was agreeing with porsche until i read that part too. why would you have your engineer run the car? hes not a pro... thats why hes an engineer
its a false claim 100 percent....they left it open to discussion and didnt get a pro driver of equal abilities to drive the car........

this isnt worth the words quoted in whatever paper and no one on this forum should be doubting the pro driver and the GTR 7:29 time....

just bunk!! 100 percent cry baby....

""wha, wha.... are car is slower, so we had our cross-eyed engineer drive so he can get a slower time and then we can cry and prove a point....wha wha""

...give me a break.........

-j
Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

If Porsches' standard for testing and comparing their cars is a production nissan then why the hell would i buy a Porsche.....

-j
Old 09-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blasian
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that we're aware of that.
yeah, and if this other asshat had a brain he'd realize Nissan never claimed to have beaten the GT2 around the nurburgring.

these nubslices are getting dumber by the day.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
Read the article you asshat.

"with the 911 Turbo managing 7:38 and the GT2 getting down to 7:34."

The GT2 is RWD and is faster than the Turbo by 4 seconds and is AWD. RWD faster than AWD in the same platform around the same track. DO you get it now?? Do I need to spell it out more for you?

RWD > AWD on the Nordschleife

Now stop talking already "motormouth"

Good lord, where do these people come from honestly? The internet is full of smart guys.
ok slowness, listen carefully:

this article and this thread is about the GTR's laptime. the GTR never was claimed to have been faster than the GT2 (RWD) so that car is inconsequential. doesn't matter. nada.

you were saying it should be faster and guess what? it is. and no one thought differently.

but the AWD Turbo, with similiar specifications has no reason to be 25 seconds faster than the car in question: the GTR.

And just because I don't like you: You attributing the GT2's faster laptime to just RWD is still stupid because there are many, many differences between the two cars. and yet the GT2 only managed what? 4 seconds faster when it's lighter, better suspension (etc) and rwd? me thinks RWD (especially around a damp track as the nurburgring tends to be... another 'duh') is not the silver bullet you think it is. there are many instances where AWD gives you an advantage, especially when we are talking about PERFORMANCE AWD systems and not the front biased commuter AWD you are talking about.

so as I said, stop being stupid. yes, RWD is the best layout for a dry track on slicks (i.e. 'optimal grip')... no one in the world disagrees with your massive brain on this one... is why tarmac race cars are almost exclusively RWD, but you leave out the fact that besides the technical complexity (on track fixes, possible issues, etc), the drag and weight penalties... there are alot of other reasons besides 'DUH AWD UNDERSTERRS LOFLS?'.

Last edited by Motormouth; 09-30-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 AM
Motormouth
Banned

and with that, *I drop the mike* and wipe my hands of this useless thread.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Chad68

Last edited by Chad68; 09-30-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:55 AM
blasian

The mike droppage has been approved.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:55 AM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Greg06
IMO I don't think Nissan gives a crap about what Porsche says. Corporately speaking Porsche is pretty insignificant compared to Nissan.
Considering Nissan used the 911 Turbo as the benchmark for the GT-R, I believe Nissan will be really interested in what Porsche has to say.

Also, to the ones lambasting Porsche's decision to use an engineer for the laps... Many automakers utilize engineers that have vast knowledge and skill when it comes to racing these vehicles. GM used one for their quoted ZR-1 time. To discount the engineer means the GM haters will have to concede the ZR-1 would be capable of an insanely faster time than what GM claimed.

Food for thought...
Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

his real name is Clarence, he went to private school!

(hopes somebody gets the joke)
Old 09-30-2008, 07:01 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Jun
his real name is Clarence, he went to private school!

(hopes somebody gets the joke)
Old 09-30-2008, 07:03 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
Considering Nissan used the 911 Turbo as the benchmark for the GT-R, I believe Nissan will be really interested in what Porsche has to say.

Also, to the ones lambasting Porsche's decision to use an engineer for the laps... Many automakers utilize engineers that have vast knowledge and skill when it comes to racing these vehicles. GM used one for their quoted ZR-1 time. To discount the engineer means the GM haters will have to concede the ZR-1 would be capable of an insanely faster time than what GM claimed.

Food for thought...
I don't that the differences in times is because of an engineer driving it... but you have to admit that the difference between the times of the Turbo and GT-R is a bit questionable
Old 09-30-2008, 07:07 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6

Food for thought...
ya, so they let their engineers drive their cars...thats like me saying:

I work on airplanes (engineer) and at my last job i got to turn on planes, fly in them and design parts for the same planes........maybe i should claim to be an engineer test pilot......and no one should doubt my abilities......

Ya, but thats up for debate??

who is this so called engineer??? who says hes a good driver other than Porsche's claims???? who says hes as good as the nissan driver or at least even comparable??? .......he's no one anyone would doubt on driving abilities as if they would have used someone everyone knows...........or believes for that matter......

-J
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Son of Mad Dog

When BMW and GM were asked to do a shoot out between M5 and CTS-v they both send chassis engineers not race drivers.

The main issue is b/c nissan has already been caught sending upped boost cars to publishers.

why would Nissan care about Porsche? Only b/c Porsche is the most profitable automaker in the world, that also owns controlling shares of VW and Audi...

Truth be told, i dont think the two cars (turbo and GTR) are all that comparable.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:15 AM
badkarma85

Manufacturer A says X

Manufacturer B says Y

Now we need The Stig to reconcile this difference.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:15 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Son of Mad Dog
The main issue is b/c nissan has already been caught sending upped boost cars to publishers.
Proof?

Do you know what the stock PSI is and what the claimed PSI that these cars were running?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:17 AM
areddy

LOL @ Porsche. When will they learn? The OP is right they really need a wake up call. I find it sad that they are so angry that their cars (which are up to twice as much as the GT-R) cannot compete with it.

7:54 for the GT-R? Are we sure that "engineer" didn't fill the trunk and passenger seat with bricks?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:17 AM
JCSVT

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
:

Ya, but thats up for debate??

who is this so called engineer??? who says hes a good driver other than Porsche's claims???? who says hes as good as the nissan driver or at least even comparable??? .......he's no one anyone would doubt on driving abilities as if they would have used someone everyone knows...........or believes for that matter......

-J
Usually the chassis engineers are former pro racecar drivers and have tons of time on the Nurburgring. The ZR1 run was done by a chassis engineer.

These guys have so much time on the Ring that they can be reasonably close in anything.

The smoking gun in my opinion that the 7:29 was not a stock car was that when run next to the ZR1 video, it was achieving the same speeds down the straights. The GT-R can't even do that against the Z06. The GT-R sounded more reasonable at 7:38 or even the early 7:44. It is about the same or a bit quicker at most tracks than the C6 Z06.

It's really on Nissan to answer back. I've always thought that the numbers didn't add up for the last runs. SportAuto ran a 7:50 with their test driver in the GT-R and he's on the 'Ring almost daily.

Last edited by JCSVT; 09-30-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating...