2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GTR transmission failure!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 PM
iZdeadpeople

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exta_Z
WOW! Another one bites the dust...

I knew that the GTR was going to have trans problems, it was almost a gimme. This is just the begining...wait until the thin plasma coating on the cylinder walls wears...hehe, a very fast bomb....or, when the the axles snap because of the power. If you can't warranty 0-60 in 3.5 seconds...then the car shouldn't do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds! PERIOD!

As far as the service and warranty issues...This is why I will never ever ever buy a $70k+ Nissan!...heck, $45k is still too much for a Nissan. Come on people, think about where your $90k GTR's are being serviced and who is determining the problem...the same guy who just finished changing the oil on a Sentra. Get a certified Porsche 911 Turbo...Fast, Bulletproof, LOOKS HAWT, and get PIMP service at dealerships. The only "sorry" you get from Porsche is for leaving paper mats in your car after service.

Loved what the GTR was....Admired what the GTR has become....Dread what the GTR will be!
Exactly. I made this point when the GTR was a concept. I recalled some of the horrendous service I experienced at SEVERAL Nissan delaers. I cannot imagine trusting them with an $80k plus car. I don't care how much they spent on training or vamping up their service dept. Their techs are used to working on old, beat a$$ altimas and sentras. Then a $80k plus car comes through the door....hmmm
Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
JS04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blasian
Weren't the rear ends of an S2000 weak or was it the clutch?

Anyways... Sound Performance's 6MT 350Z ran a what... 9.35?

The entire rear end on the S2K is horrible. And if you get a service guy that doesnt know what hes doing.....My best friend has had both axles, tranny, and 2 diffs. Bad service can be found at ANY dealership. Whether it be Nissan, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:21 AM
krinkov

Ka-Boom!!

http://jalopnik.com/5115647/samurai-...-at-drag-strip
Old 12-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Mid117

Sucks...sounds like the same shltty service from nissan that I had.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:29 AM
blasian

Hehe, at least they don't need a bailout.

Although I find it hilarious that people are around... waiting for a transmission to fail.

Last edited by blasian; 12-23-2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:01 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by krinkov
so it blew up after a few 10 second runs. that's a lot of power to the wheels
Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by mhoward1
so it blew up after a few 10 second runs. that's a lot of power to the wheels
From what I understand, he had over 100 LC launches and he would do one LC to try to heat the tires before runs with drag radials.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:59 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

From what I understand, he had over 100 LC launches and he would do one LC to try to heat the tires before runs with drag radials.
so launch control on drag radials on a 10 second AWD car. Yes, I can't believe it blew up.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Done Deal DR

so launch control on drag radials on a 10 second AWD car. Yes, I can't believe it blew up.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:24 PM
qirex

Originally Posted by brady
It's nothing like that....

The iPhone is only $200. Not $100k! I lose $200, oh well, I'll recover. Screw me over for $20k and it's a different story.

Nissan really is showing their true colours on this one. Unreal. Who cares if it's first gen or not. To not warranty the vehicle due to poor manufacturing is NOT ACCEPTABLE! Nissan S U C K S. Proper R&D should be provided prior to release any product to the masses, but even there some issues come out. How many issues has there been with the first gen e46 or e90 M3's? And any issues that have come out of the wood-work have been handled through warranty. Calling people suckers for buying first gen products is not cool. Nothing is wrong with having faith in a company or it's products, especially with a company who has a fairly good track record.

It's not that they failed in the production of the car, that happens as we all know... it's how they are not owning up to their responsibilities to the consumers. Further more I find if extremely difficult that they didn't break some transmissions during development. "Oh boss, we broke another tranny". I would flag that as a "RED LIGHT". But no, the boss says "That is because you activated the Vehicle Damage Computer, let's keep it there but screw people over who use it."

Again, Nissan has really dropped the ball by not fixing this issue. I feel sad for those of us who had faith in this company to do the right thing. We are the suckers.

Haha. This is PRECISELY why I didnt bat an eye at the GTR. My FirST year 03 350Z had so many problems, and nissan's servcie was awful, for a $40k (brand new car).

Infiniti OTOH is amazing.

I was very surprised when they decided to brand a $70K NISSAN in the USA. Forget about it.

I'll be keeping my 9ff 640HP Porsche Turbo for a very long time.

Porsches' warranty dept has been getting stricter (blackbox, matching names from sponsored track events), but they would never do this.

They WOULD WANT to see teh car back and understand how it failed. Thats the german difference.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:02 PM
krinkov

Although I find it hilarious that people are around... waiting for a transmission to fail.

Wow, nice attitude guys, and you might want to look at my join date and post count before you call me a troll thats just hanging around here "for a transmission to fail." Ive owned more Z cars dating back to 1972 than most of you guys have owned any total of cars in your entire lives.

Im sorry, but I thought this was the thread where we were discussing GTR transmission failures, you know like we did back when the 350Z came out and had a crap transmission? Just like back then, Its important to have one place to keep track of all the transmission failures, regardless of what mileage or under what circumstances the trans failed. We did then and the more people that became aware how many 350Zs had trans problems, the quicker Nissan stepped up to the plate to fix it. Hell it was the thread from this very site that was quoted in car magazines that helped put pressure on Nissan to correct it.

but hey I guess times change right? Lets just close the thread and stick our heads in the sand.

Last edited by krinkov; 12-24-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Polo08816
Banned

Well, Nissan designed a car to run 1 lap really quickly and die the next lap due to transmission troubles. They need to get their act together and I hope the MSRP increase is because they're including a spare transmission in the trunk of the car.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Mid117

Worthless argument.

Originally Posted by Polo08816
Well, Nissan designed a car to run 1 lap really quickly and die the next lap due to transmission troubles. They need to get their act together and I hope the MSRP increase is because they're including a spare transmission in the trunk of the car.
$20k+ in repairs isn't much of a bargain when you could've gotten a real supercar
Old 12-24-2008, 08:39 PM
krinkov

Originally Posted by Mid117
$20k+ in repairs isn't much of a bargain when you could've gotten a real supercar
perhaps, but once they sort out the tranny and stop making excuses, the GTR will still be the supercar bargain of a lifetime, like all the past ones. We just need less apologists and more people raising their voices, Im sure this years tranny will already be revised
Old 12-26-2008, 06:22 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

The comment had nothing to do with you or your post count. As stated earlier in this thread and in others there has been a lot of transmission failure post as such about almost all of them had issues and there had been several failures. When one actually did the research there was a total of 2 failures documented, one was just been posted over and over and only one of the cars was stock, the other was over 800 HP. Then there was a third reported, but then there was no actual documented case of it, and the "owner" had never been registered.

So I beleive this is the third official failure, and another one where the output is far beynd stock. I do believe in reporting and tracking failures, but I aslo don't believe in forming witch hunts. This is the same for the Late 80's Audi's for unattended acceleration. It was found that almost every case was driver error, but so many wanted to blaim Audi and the cars that it happened to.

I wouod much rather post facts and track real issues. Posting "Ka_boom!!" and then a link with vague details does nothing to see if there is a true issue or not.

Wow, nice attitude guys, and you might want to look at my join date and post count before you call me a troll thats just hanging around here "for a transmission to fail." Ive owned more Z cars dating back to 1972 than most of you guys have owned any total of cars in your entire lives.

Im sorry, but I thought this was the thread where we were discussing GTR transmission failures, you know like we did back when the 350Z came out and had a crap transmission? Just like back then, Its important to have one place to keep track of all the transmission failures, regardless of what mileage or under what circumstances the trans failed. We did then and the more people that became aware how many 350Zs had trans problems, the quicker Nissan stepped up to the plate to fix it. Hell it was the thread from this very site that was quoted in car magazines that helped put pressure on Nissan to correct it.

but hey I guess times change right? Lets just close the thread and stick our heads in the sand.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Mid117
Worthless argument.
It's a worthless argument that people sit there and WAIT for a failure? I'm kidding about the bailout but I find it silly that if a GT-R transmission breaks, everyone needs to know about it. Hell, I just found out about the LS7 starting off with an oil consumption problem supposedly. I didn't see that posted all over the net.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:08 AM
blasian

I wasn't calling you a troll. I just find it funny that if a transmission blows it gets all over the internet like people are waiting for them to break. Chill out...
Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 AM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't calling you a troll. I just find it funny that if a transmission blows it gets all over the internet like people are waiting for them to break. Chill out...
+1

Funny how exotic supercars never break. They are also always warrantied............

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...710250332.html

Stoebner says the Lamborghini, which was purchased in July 2002, required frequent dealer visits and replacement parts, including a new lift system, clutch, at least two gearboxes and other components.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
shimz350z

The comment had nothing to do with you or your post count. As stated earlier in this thread and in others there has been a lot of transmission failure post as such about almost all of them had issues and there had been several failures. When one actually did the research there was a total of 2 failures documented, one was just been posted over and over and only one of the cars was stock, the other was over 800 HP. Then there was a third reported, but then there was no actual documented case of it, and the "owner" had never been registered.

So I beleive this is the third official failure, and another one where the output is far beynd stock. I do believe in reporting and tracking failures, but I aslo don't believe in forming witch hunts. This is the same for the Late 80's Audi's for unattended acceleration. It was found that almost every case was driver error, but so many wanted to blaim Audi and the cars that it happened to.

I wouod much rather post facts and track real issues. Posting "Ka_boom!!" and then a link with vague details does nothing to see if there is a true issue or not.
Yep, this last one has over 600 horses...and they believe wheel hop was the culprit.

Get it out of your heads...there is nothing wrong with the stock trans. This car is a beast.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by shimz350z
Get it out of your heads...there is nothing wrong with the stock trans.
It's already too late. It's been plagued by the Internet.

Quick Reply: GTR transmission failure!