Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GTR transmission failure!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:17 AM
warpet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blasian
Hehe, at least they don't need a bailout.

Although I find it hilarious that people are around... waiting for a transmission to fail.
Atleast they aren't owned by a French company. It's easy to forget Nissan was a failing company when the economy was booming.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warpet
Atleast they aren't owned by a French company. It's easy to forget Nissan was a failing company when the economy was booming.
GM has been losing money for how long? Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Being French owned is much worse

Last edited by blasian; 12-31-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:40 AM
arneltec

This isn't the first time GM needed a bailout... 2cents
Old 01-01-2009, 05:56 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by warpet
Ghosn took many steps to turn Nissan around. The trouble is it takes a global economic meltdown for the Big 3 to take action and even worse the UAW is unwilling to make concessions.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:19 PM
*Boose*

I'm coming into this thread sort of late in the game. But, why does everyone say that the GTR is gay now. You're all fickle now. When the GTR lapped the Nurburgring faster than the Lambo, faster than the 911 Turbo, faster than the GT3 and on par with the GT2 everyone was head over heels in love with it. Now that they see a flaw in the GTR's transmission the car is completely trashed now?

What I don't understand is once again how people read postson forums and then bash the company for building schemes. Whereas the scheme might be able to help the company in the long run. Maybe the GTR was a prologue for the next GTR. So Nissan decided to watch how well the cars behaved via "blackbox".

Now. Comparing to the Porsche's maintenance. Do not forget. Porsche has been building the 3.6l engine platform since 1992. Now. With that being said they watercooled it in 1999 and added a 6 spd manual transmission in 2000 with the launch of the C2S. Now Porsche has been building a well engineered gearbox for 9 years now while this is Nissan's first approach at a dual clutch transmission. The failure rate is astonishing, correct but look at how they are all being driven. Most people will void the warranty the first day they buy the car and not realize the damage done. Then expect to recieve a fix under warranty.

Nissan makes you sign papers for the car. You do not oblige. You pay for the damages. Of course it's wrong for them to not allow you to drive the car the way it was built. You chose to buy it. You understood the circumstances. You had your fun now you have to pay. And you want to sue? It's retarded. You shouldve saved that money into a CD, cashed in, and bought a 911 GT2. Which in fact does allow you to use the traction control, and also comes with a 4 year 60,000 mile warranty which is completely backed by the company. Also all 911's come standard with a timing device so you can record your lap times. So Porsche knows what you're intentions are going to be when you purschase a 911. And they support it too.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Reyes_USN

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Still, when was the last time you heard of a 911, a Miata or an S2OOO suffering from a
similar thingy
? The MTs in Zeds/37Os & GT-Rs have got to get a significant improvement!
The ATs are a totally different ball game, they're g-r-e-a-t!
____________________________________________________________ ______________
'O4 Touring Coupe. FLAWLESS AT! NO feathering! NO oil-consumption issues! NO PRO-
BLEMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

find me an AT S2000 please
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Fulgore243

It's pretty simple really. This works for all brands (Mercedes, Porsche, etc)

1. Customer has a nice high performance car, it breaks.

2. Customer takes it to the dealership for warranty repair.

3. Dealership pencil pushers think they can milk more money out of the customer by claiming warranty does not apply, trying to make him pay for the repairs.

4. Customer calls a lawyer, lawyer examines warranty.

5. Lawyer writes letter to dealership threatening civil suit if dealership does not honor warranty.

6. Dealership decides it's not worth the trouble and caves.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Brandon26pdx

I'd have just preferred they put a regular 6-spd manual in the car instead of the high tech automatic. (I know it's a DCT but any car that has two pedals and shifts gears for you is an automatic in my book). Oh well, maybe ill come around and see the light someday

The problem with automatic transmissions is that it takes no skill to blast them off the line hard. Stand on the brake pedal until you hit the stall speed and off you go. With a manual transmission AWD car it takes skill to get off the line like that, and there's not a doubt in anyone's mind you're beating on your car if you're good enough to cut a 1.6 60 ft time at the strip in an EVO, STI, DSM, or whatever. Guys with these kinds of cars break driveline parts all the time.

What we have here is a classic case of technology creating unintended and undesirable side effects. It's common.

Last edited by Brandon26pdx; 02-12-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoWin
I'm coming into this thread sort of late in the game. But, why does everyone say that the GTR is gay now. You're all fickle now. When the GTR lapped the Nurburgring faster than the Lambo, faster than the 911 Turbo, faster than the GT3 and on par with the GT2 everyone was head over heels in love with it. Now that they see a flaw in the GTR's transmission the car is completely trashed now?

What I don't understand is once again how people read postson forums and then bash the company for building schemes. Whereas the scheme might be able to help the company in the long run. Maybe the GTR was a prologue for the next GTR. So Nissan decided to watch how well the cars behaved via "blackbox".

Now. Comparing to the Porsche's maintenance. Do not forget. Porsche has been building the 3.6l engine platform since 1992. Now. With that being said they watercooled it in 1999 and added a 6 spd manual transmission in 2000 with the launch of the C2S. Now Porsche has been building a well engineered gearbox for 9 years now while this is Nissan's first approach at a dual clutch transmission. The failure rate is astonishing, correct but look at how they are all being driven. Most people will void the warranty the first day they buy the car and not realize the damage done. Then expect to recieve a fix under warranty.

Nissan makes you sign papers for the car. You do not oblige. You pay for the damages. Of course it's wrong for them to not allow you to drive the car the way it was built. You chose to buy it. You understood the circumstances. You had your fun now you have to pay. And you want to sue? It's retarded. You shouldve saved that money into a CD, cashed in, and bought a 911 GT2. Which in fact does allow you to use the traction control, and also comes with a 4 year 60,000 mile warranty which is completely backed by the company. Also all 911's come standard with a timing device so you can record your lap times. So Porsche knows what you're intentions are going to be when you purschase a 911. And they support it too.
If you couldn't afford a car, wouldn't you pick out the flaws and say "Yeah that car is crap," just so you don't feel bad about not being able to get one?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Vroompsst

Originally Posted by Reyes_USN
find me an AT S2000 please
I had to.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 02-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Vroompsst

^ I like how the link also says "false"
Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx
I'd have just preferred they put a regular 6-spd manual in the car instead of the high tech automatic. (I know it's a DCT but any car that has two pedals and shifts gears for you is an automatic in my book). Oh well, maybe ill come around and see the light someday

The problem with automatic transmissions is that it takes no skill to blast them off the line hard. Stand on the brake pedal until you hit the stall speed and off you go. With a manual transmission AWD car it takes skill to get off the line like that, and there's not a doubt in anyone's mind you're beating on your car if you're good enough to cut a 1.6 60 ft time at the strip in an EVO, STI, DSM, or whatever. Guys with these kinds of cars break driveline parts all the time.

What we have here is a classic case of technology creating unintended and undesirable side effects. It's common.
It could have something to do with it not being a drag car.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by NoWin

OUTSTANDING POST! I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

With each passing day, I'm more and more grateful to God for having provided me with the 'O4 Touring Coupe I bought a little over a year ago: Flawless AT, NO feathering, NO oil-consumption issue, getting two weeks out of a tankful. The only thing I've had to deal with is the driver's side power window motor ($161.00 at AutoZone, plus $40.00 for the installation). I'll be retiring in January of 2010, and am keeping her till death do us part!
(Be cool, Havok, I'm late, too. NO PROBLEMO!)
Old 03-31-2009, 08:06 AM
ITillinois

A car should not be able to destroy itself....period.

And even if there has to be a "safety valve" built in, it should not be the trans, it should be something cheap and easy to replace.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:56 AM
phile

I think it's rather insane that any car NEEDS VDC to protect the transmission.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:37 PM
tanabe350z

nissan released the car too soon. they should have waited and fixed this problem before putting it on the production line.

silly nissan
Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 AM
matth76

Originally Posted by GZire
It could be a production error, but the OP in the NAGTROC thread admitted he's launched the car a minimum of 20 times. Others on NAGTROC who've been following the OP's posts estimate maybe he's launched the car closer to 40 - 50 times.

Regardless of 20, or 50, or more to me it's clear the OP has abused his car. Even dedicated drag cars will break parts, be they clutches or transmissions why should the manufacturer have to pay for that?
Totally disagree. OK the customer has clearly used LC which is a feature of the car. Regardless of how many times it is used it should not void the warranty as it is a feature of the car, nor should it exclude the gearbox from being fixed if it fails after using LC. The car is not being driven incorrectly or badly. They are effectively saying "use the car and you void your warranty on the parts you have used". If there was a mention of this in the warranty or manual I would never buy this car as it is contradictory. It's like saying use the steering wheel too many times and if the steering wheel goes wrong the warranty is void and we wont fix it. If the gear box is not up to standing the stress of LC then that is a failure on the part of Nissan..big failure. Fine for a clutch to fail using LC, that is wear and tear but not a whole gear box transmission. That is poor build, very poor for a $75k car. This is not a good advert for Nissan ... at all. They better resolve this quickly for their sake. 10's of 1000's of readers read these forums, all potential and existing customers.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The thing is LC was not a published feature of the car, it was more of a hack. It bypassed some of the software based protection and was never listed in ANY GT-R documentation.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matth76
Totally disagree. OK the customer has clearly used LC which is a feature of the car. Regardless of how many times it is used it should not void the warranty as it is a feature of the car, nor should it exclude the gearbox from being fixed if it fails after using LC. The car is not being driven incorrectly or badly. They are effectively saying "use the car and you void your warranty on the parts you have used". If there was a mention of this in the warranty or manual I would never buy this car as it is contradictory. It's like saying use the steering wheel too many times and if the steering wheel goes wrong the warranty is void and we wont fix it. If the gear box is not up to standing the stress of LC then that is a failure on the part of Nissan..big failure. Fine for a clutch to fail using LC, that is wear and tear but not a whole gear box transmission. That is poor build, very poor for a $75k car. This is not a good advert for Nissan ... at all. They better resolve this quickly for their sake. 10's of 1000's of readers read these forums, all potential and existing customers.

LC is not a published feature of the car. In order to use "LC" you are using the car against direction in the owner's manual. This being said the fixes for the broken 1st gear was never $20,000 and the current PPG replacement shaft and 1st gear is significantly less than that.

I understand your concern about the transmission gearing, but I still feel that the people in the US need to take more responsibility in their actions and quit blaming others for their actions.

Quick Reply: GTR transmission failure!