Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GTR transmission failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Jergens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krinkov
really? Is that how high you set your expectations? I know modded Z06s that run 'leap-frog' 1.4 sec 60' times and run in the 10s all day long and never bust a tranny.
First off I thought my response was pretty thoughtful and reasonably presented as well. No one KNOWS what the problem is. Every instance has involved someone who, via the 'evil black box' telling engineers the truth, has been dig launching the car in launch mode over and over.

It is how high I set my expectations when I sit in a car and experience that kind of launch. I've driven and ridden in a C6 Z06, and it was not as brutal feeling as a launch in the GT-R. It just isn't. Of course I haven't been in a rear wheel drive car running 1.4 60s, but like you said, they are modded. I'm not apologizing for nissan, nor do I think the GT-R is bug proof. As I said, I am not buying a first year. But we do not KNOW the transmission is weak. We don't KNOW that they will blow up at 20,000 miles of normal driving conditions. That is all I was saying. Leap frog was a term I was using for the "hop" feel the car has under launch.

Also, even these z06s you are talking about will probably blow a transmission all over the road if you sit there and drop clutch launch them from stop light to stop light 10 times without any chance to cool down. That was another point I was making. Using launch control 30 times in 30 minutes... yeah that is going to blow up any transmission.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Prosport Gauges

Originally Posted by Jergens
First off I thought my response was pretty thoughtful and reasonably presented as well. No one KNOWS what the problem is. Every instance has involved someone who, via the 'evil black box' telling engineers the truth, has been dig launching the car in launch mode over and over.

It is how high I set my expectations when I sit in a car and experience that kind of launch. I've driven and ridden in a C6 Z06, and it was not as brutal feeling as a launch in the GT-R. It just isn't. Of course I haven't been in a rear wheel drive car running 1.4 60s, but like you said, they are modded. I'm not apologizing for nissan, nor do I think the GT-R is bug proof. As I said, I am not buying a first year. But we do not KNOW the transmission is weak. We don't KNOW that they will blow up at 20,000 miles of normal driving conditions. That is all I was saying. Leap frog was a term I was using for the "hop" feel the car has under launch.

Also, even these z06s you are talking about will probably blow a transmission all over the road if you sit there and drop clutch launch them from stop light to stop light 10 times without any chance to cool down. That was another point I was making. Using launch control 30 times in 30 minutes... yeah that is going to blow up any transmission.

Wow, 30 launches in 30 minutes= 1 launch every 1min....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 10-21-2008, 12:13 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhk1004
they are playing with fire right here... imagine... a couple of GTR owners band together, and sue the hell outa nissan, lets say 20 people. thats 400k in lawyer fee that they could pay to go nuts with nissan instead of paying for a tranny. i think they are incorrectly dealing with this..
This is what i feel will happen. Its easy to push people around when they dont have the money to hire good legal help. People that buy 70k cars tend to have better and more resources available to make a bigger stink about things. IMO nissan recalls the trannys or we see nissan in court in less than a year.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:20 PM
gatti-man

I agree with most of your post. Brutalizing your car shouldnt be warrantied but damn it should raise some red flags that cars are breaking this fast. I never have seen this kind of failure on a new car, especially one marketed in part based on its 1/4 times. IMO nissan needs to pull LC as a feature or make the transmission stand up to more abuse. Its a straight up BS feature as it stands right now. It is also going to hurt the long term value of the car. No way would i consider a used gtr without atleast a diag tool to access the blackbox data and see if my car is about to have 20k worth of repairs.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:27 PM
arpus809

So much for the GTR!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Jergens

Originally Posted by Prosport Gauges
Wow, 30 launches in 30 minutes= 1 launch every 1min....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Yes.. 1 hard high rev drop launch every 1 minute 30 times in a row. I think that will blow up most cars. Is there a reason you are laughing? Disagree?

I agree with most of your post. Brutalizing your car shouldnt be warrantied but damn it should raise some red flags that cars are breaking this fast. I never have seen this kind of failure on a new car, especially one marketed in part based on its 1/4 times. IMO nissan needs to pull LC as a feature or make the transmission stand up to more abuse. Its a straight up BS feature as it stands right now. It is also going to hurt the long term value of the car. No way would i consider a used gtr without atleast a diag tool to access the blackbox data and see if my car is about to have 20k worth of repairs.
I agree if the transmission IS faulty then yeah of course there should (and I am sure will) be a recall. All I've been trying to say is we don't know if the transmission is actually "weak" yet or not. From everything I had seen it sounded like user abuse. Anyhow, I wonder if anyone will get the software to hook the black box up like a OBD to a laptop. That'd actually be kind of cool.

Last edited by Jergens; 10-21-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I have had FIVE (5) transmissions in my 2004 350Z. 3 had bad synchos, and 1 got locked in 5th gear. I do not race or track the car. It has 40,000 mile on the od.

Reputations need to be earned NISSAN . . . and it ain't happening !
Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 PM
krinkov

No worries at all, and I didnt mean to imply that your reply wasnt thoughtful
I cant speak for what your exact experience with the Z06 was, but the GTR has consistently pulled around 1.7 sec 60' launch times, so if it felt any quicker in the GTR then you should try it again in a Z06 with someone who knows how to launch one properly
http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan--GT-R-Drag-Racing.html

regardless, my point wasnt to compare Z06s to GTRs, it was to compare a car thats drivetrain was engineered and OVER engineered to its power output under all extremes, like the Z06, like the STI, vs. one that isnt, the GTR. Thats all.

To say that youre just happy knowing your car can launch just once without breaking is basically saying, "Im happy knowing that my drivetrain cant even handle the stock power level of my motor and I'll just have to adjust my driving style around that" And that is simply BS.

And yes I agree with you, Im not trying to say you should use launch control 30 times in 30 minutes, but thats obviously not how this guy blew his transmission, so Im not sure what point you were trying to make with that kind of exaggeration. There is a middle ground between "30 times in 30 minutes" and "hope it launches once without breaking", and thats at least what a GTR should be engineered too.
cheers
Old 10-22-2008, 06:23 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JCat
I have had FIVE (5) transmissions in my 2004 350Z. 3 had bad synchos, and 1 got locked in 5th gear. I do not race or track the car. It has 40,000 mile on the od.

I'll bet those transmissions were replaced under warranty. And if not, they certainly don't cost $20k to replace. So far so good, but they need to do better for the GTR... Once the aftermarket picks up, it will be a moot point really. Nissan is screwing themselves charging so much for service. Good for shops that get into it though because they'll turn a good profit charging half as much.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Jergens

Originally Posted by krinkov

And yes I agree with you, Im not trying to say you should use launch control 30 times in 30 minutes, but thats obviously not how this guy blew his transmission, so Im not sure what point you were trying to make with that kind of exaggeration. There is a middle ground between "30 times in 30 minutes" and "hope it launches once without breaking", and thats at least what a GTR should be engineered too.
cheers
Well I've only been in a stock z06 and I was under the impression you were talking about a modified z06. Regardless I personally felt the stock GT-R launch is more "oh ****!" than the stock z06. I don't know that is actually a better thing though =). I wasn't claiming it feels faster. I can't perceive that sort of difference of a tenth of a second or two. And if the numbers say the z06 is faster I'm not one to claim to bend spacetime to make a GT-R the quicker car. I just know in the GT-R I felt like I had to hold on to the car frame. I'm more saying that the GT-R launch feels "rougher/more stressful" than a z06 launch. By no means does that mean faster or better . I'm just saying I haven't ever felt that kind of "woah this car can live through something like this?" in anything else. Again... that might actually be a bad thing =). Trust me I am NOT ******* the z06. Nice wax job in black = scary as hell.

As for the 30 in 30 minutes. I was under the impression that the car in question had in fact used launch control several times in a short span of time. That is why the techs said it was driver error not mechanical failure. At least that's what I've somewhat distilled in the OT.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Superfly84zx

I've read most of this post and I'll echo a few of the replys:

What is wrong with Nissan saying to the GTR owners that they want the VDC on 99% of the time and only turning it off for slowly getting out of a stuck in the snow situation. But if you want to race or run it like a jackass doing burnouts or launches with the VDC off then no problem but youre not covered under a warranty if the car gets destroyed. Makes sense to me that with the VDC on the computers are protecting the drivetrain and with it off youre on your own. If my Z's tranny blew from doing drag launches or track racing would I expect Nissan to pay for it? NO!!! A warranty should be to fix items on the car that were defective or that broke under normal use such as if your windows stopped rolling down or if your horn stopped working. Not if I blew out the rear-end trying to do donuts outside the bar for my friends...Thats on my dime.

I think its pretty good that Nissan even allows racing with the VDC on!!! Just let the computer protect the car and do the proper servicing and youre safe.

I find this to be so simple to understand that I'm kinda shocked its even being discussed. Just because a car can do something doesnt mean that it should be warrantied. Maybe Launches with the VDC off are slightly faster...But I'm guessing that the safeguards arent protecting the car's drive-train if you get into a wheel hopping burnout that breaks parts. Trust me the computers are better than 99.9% of drivers on the road....Just leave them on. Stop trying to live in the 60s LOL!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by JCat

Hmm, still on my first, driven road-course hard preboost and boosted for over 3k miles now.

It has ground gear ONE time EVER. and it was my fault. if it doesn't slide perfectly into a gear, i try it again, no problem.

Sounds like a driver problem
Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Wm Holden

http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...ame=Compare%21

1 GT-R with a better 60 ft then me?????
I'm shocked...

But then again with that "soft" tranny...

LOL!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:32 PM
JCSVT

They're only cutting 1.7s? I would have thought they'd be lower than that. Especially considering how aggressive the GT-R's launch control is. Good thing is that its repeatable...up to a point.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:37 AM
bhk1004

Originally Posted by Wm Holden

I'm shocked...

LOL!!!

i dont know whats to laugh about? your car is pretty modded and im pretty sure you didnt cut better than a 1.7 with stock tires. the 1.7 0-60 is cut pretty much anytime any day on stock tires. you are sitting around and are like ooo maybe ill go to the track, lalalala show up cut 1.7 go home. nothign else needed.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Hella

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
Hmm, still on my first, driven road-course hard preboost and boosted for over 3k miles now.

It has ground gear ONE time EVER. and it was my fault. if it doesn't slide perfectly into a gear, i try it again, no problem.

Sounds like a driver problem
you are so screwed now. Knock on wood quick.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:57 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by Superfly84zx
I've read most of this post and I'll echo a few of the replys:

What is wrong with Nissan saying to the GTR owners that they want the VDC on 99% of the time and only turning it off for slowly getting out of a stuck in the snow situation. But if you want to race or run it like a jackass doing burnouts or launches with the VDC off then no problem but youre not covered under a warranty if the car gets destroyed. Makes sense to me that with the VDC on the computers are protecting the drivetrain and with it off youre on your own. If my Z's tranny blew from doing drag launches or track racing would I expect Nissan to pay for it? NO!!! A warranty should be to fix items on the car that were defective or that broke under normal use such as if your windows stopped rolling down or if your horn stopped working. Not if I blew out the rear-end trying to do donuts outside the bar for my friends...Thats on my dime.

I think its pretty good that Nissan even allows racing with the VDC on!!! Just let the computer protect the car and do the proper servicing and youre safe.

I find this to be so simple to understand that I'm kinda shocked its even being discussed. Just because a car can do something doesnt mean that it should be warrantied. Maybe Launches with the VDC off are slightly faster...But I'm guessing that the safeguards arent protecting the car's drive-train if you get into a wheel hopping burnout that breaks parts. Trust me the computers are better than 99.9% of drivers on the road....Just leave them on. Stop trying to live in the 60s LOL!!!
You are missing the fact that Nissan itself used the lc (turning vdc off) on all of its reviews! The whole reason the gtr's numbers were even news worthy is because of launch control! If its a warranty voiding feature do you tink they should tout it in performance reviews? NO. That is the problem and that is why imo they are going to find themselves in trouble. If you buy the stuck in snow BS then you really have no place in this discussion imo.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 PM
amg55driver

Originally Posted by Wm Holden

I'm shocked...

LOL!!!

LOL, my evo, I ran 1.6@0-60ft.
its all about AWD + good launch + 6puck clutch = broken transfercase (in this case broken tranny.... hahahhaha)
Old 10-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Wm Holden

Red face

Originally Posted by amg55driver
LOL, my evo, I ran 1.6@0-60ft.
its all about AWD + good launch + 6puck clutch = broken transfercase (in this case broken tranny.... hahahhaha)
I'm just saying the godzilla super car with awd is cutting 1.7s...that seems kinda slow to be blowing up tranny's for 20k.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Exta_Z

WOW! Another one bites the dust...

I knew that the GTR was going to have trans problems, it was almost a gimme. This is just the begining...wait until the thin plasma coating on the cylinder walls wears...hehe, a very fast bomb....or, when the the axles snap because of the power. If you can't warranty 0-60 in 3.5 seconds...then the car shouldn't do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds! PERIOD!

As far as the service and warranty issues...This is why I will never ever ever buy a $70k+ Nissan!...heck, $45k is still too much for a Nissan. Come on people, think about where your $90k GTR's are being serviced and who is determining the problem...the same guy who just finished changing the oil on a Sentra. Get a certified Porsche 911 Turbo...Fast, Bulletproof, LOOKS HAWT, and get PIMP service at dealerships. The only "sorry" you get from Porsche is for leaving paper mats in your car after service.

Loved what the GTR was....Admired what the GTR has become....Dread what the GTR will be!

Quick Reply: GTR transmission failure!