Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GTR transmission failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:29 PM
HATED1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTR transmission failure!

Saw this in another forum, quite interesting cut and pasted from member "young Z" on nwn.

Nissan will void your warranty if you drive the car with the VDC off too often. Apparently the guy f'd his transmission up and will have to pay 20k to get it replaced. The funny thing is that in order to get the 3.4 0-60 time you have to turn off the VDC but in turn will void your transmission. If thats the case I'd just take Porsche 911 GT3 .

***UPDATE***
A member of the North American GT-R Owner's Club forums started a thread recently in which he tells about dropping off his Nissan GT-R at the dealership when he began hearing loud noises coming from the rear of the car. The dealership told him that his transmission was toast as a direct result of him turning off the car's VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) too much, which you have to do in order to use the Launch Control function. The cost to repair the tranny is $20,000 and Nissan won't cover it under warranty since the GT-R owner's manual states that damage to the transmission is not covered if it is proven to be the result of using Launch Control with the VDC turned off. In fact, the manual states that the only reason you should turn off VDC is for when you're rocking the vehicle because it's stuck in mud or snow. That's kind of like Nissan saying you should never use the Launch Control function despite the fact it's there.

The situation clearly sucks for this GT-R owner, and we can certainly understand his frustration. Nissan, however, has itself covered in that the owner's manual makes it clear that any damage to the transmission resulting from using Launch Control is not covered, and we're told GT-R owners actually have to sign something when picking up the car to show they understand this policy. And to be clear, just switching off VDC will not void the warranty, and many owners have used Launch Control with no damage to the transmission whatsoever.

We think there's something a little fishy going on with both parties in this conflict. For one, no one knows for sure exactly how many times this GT-R owner used Launch Control. Doing it once in a while to show off is one thing, but abusing any car with that much power will eventually lead to something failing, and in those cases the automaker shouldn't necessarily be held responsible for the repairs.

That said, we're also not exactly sure how delicate these GT-R transmissions are. If Nissan had any idea that its Launch Control function could damage the car, it should have built a system that could protect itself. Take the new Porsche 911 and its PDK dual-clutch transmission that also has Launch Control. The new Porsche will let you rip off about a dozen runs in a row before a dashboard light illuminates and the ECU limits engine power until everything cools off. Why can't the GT-R watch out for itself like that?

Click the source below and decide for yourself who is right and who is wrong in this situation.

[Source: nagtroc.org]

Last edited by HATED1; 10-13-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:37 PM
C5TT

i heard about that, we have another one here at the dealer with a bad tranny, stuck in 2nd gear. its unknown weather is going to be warranty or not, they are going to get the readings of the computer this week and go from there, pembroke pines nissan......
Old 10-05-2008, 05:51 PM
HATED1

well since there is a blackbox in the GTR's, they will be able to see if it has been abused, i really don't dig that blackbox thing.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Sotomatic

That's what you get for buying a 1st year production car
Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Row2K

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

does Porsche have blackboxes in their cars, that they actually check to see if the car's been abused ?
Old 10-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Chuck_H

Originally Posted by HATED1
Saw this in another forum, quite interesting cut and pasted from member "young Z" on nwn.

Nissan will void your warranty if you drive the car with the VDC off too often. Apparently the guy f'd his transmission up and will have to pay 20k to get it replaced. The funny thing is that in order to get the 3.4 0-60 time you have to turn off the VDC but in turn will void your transmission. If thats the case I'd just take Porsche 911 GT3 .

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....pic=25361&st=0

**link no longer works
Working link: http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361
Old 10-05-2008, 06:59 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Row2K
does Porsche have blackboxes in their cars, that they actually check to see if the car's been abused ?
I'm not sure, but I think they EXPECT you to abuse them.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 PM
HATED1

Originally Posted by Chuck_H
THANKS! cut and pasted

"I was driving my gtr two weeks ago and I heard a loud noise coming from the rear. I turned immediately had my gtr towed to crown nissan st. petersburg fl. They didn't touch my car only called some techs from tennessee to look at the car and record the noise, 4 days later two guys from japan to download some info from the car then left. Then I get a call from the dealer to tell me the news, and they told me that the car was driven without vdc too much and nissan will not warranty the transmission which they said was destroyed, I asked them how much to fix it they told me 20k, no freaking way I will pay 20k on top of what i just paid for the car. I called the gtr number and also talked to nissan consumer affairs got nowhere, now the car is sitting at the dealer. I know we shouldn't launch the car but why own it if you cant use this function, don't sell a car that goes 0-60 in 3.4 sec if the only way you can achieve this speed is to void the warranty , false advertising. Here is the bad news people were fearing it has happened to me and Nissan has told me there are already three people in my shoes, if you are one of these people email me, we have got to get together on this. Just think if any of you guys have taken the vdc off just a few times you have already voided your warranty, good luck what a joke nissan. "
Old 10-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Sleeper01

ouch that sucks!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:09 PM
bimmertech

so what happens if down the road there are a lot more failures exactly like he had and it turns out to be a production error?

this is a very slippery slope that nissan is on and just another reason you don't buy expensive cars from inexpensive makers--"sales sells the first car, service sells the second"
Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 PM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warranty: worthless when voided.

Porsche at least doesn't screw you intentionally.

Nissan : we have made a supercar, but if you drive it like anything other than a minivan we void your warranty.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:51 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If nissan voids the warranty of GTR's for this, they will be dead to me.....

Last edited by AroundMyHorn; 10-06-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Sotomatic

On the plus side it means these cars will be cheaper as used vehicles since most will have unintentionaly voided their warranty within a year.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 PM
JunkStory

how about calling a lawyer?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats f-ed up... I see a law suite coming
Old 10-06-2008, 02:32 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no lawyer, but it would seem to me that if they didn't state this in their warranty, then they don't have a foot to stand on. Why on Earth give the ability to do something, then try to void the warranty. I guess now I kind of understand why their dealerships tend to be a little shifty. Sounds like the main company is that way.
Pitiful.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmertech
so what happens if down the road there are a lot more failures exactly like he had and it turns out to be a production error?

this is a very slippery slope that nissan is on and just another reason you don't buy expensive cars from inexpensive makers--"sales sells the first car, service sells the second"
It could be a production error, but the OP in the NAGTROC thread admitted he's launched the car a minimum of 20 times. Others on NAGTROC who've been following the OP's posts estimate maybe he's launched the car closer to 40 - 50 times.

Regardless of 20, or 50, or more to me it's clear the OP has abused his car. Even dedicated drag cars will break parts, be they clutches or transmissions why should the manufacturer have to pay for that?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
I'm no lawyer, but it would seem to me that if they didn't state this in their warranty, then they don't have a foot to stand on. Why on Earth give the ability to do something, then try to void the warranty. I guess now I kind of understand why their dealerships tend to be a little shifty. Sounds like the main company is that way.
Pitiful.
There is absolutely no mention of LC anywhere in the Nissan oem GT-R owners or warranty manuals.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

regardless how many time you use LC, that shouldn't voide the warranty.. Might as well remove that feature, and don't advertise it..
Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 PM
VENOMSZ

what's the point of owning this car if you can't drive it?

Quick Reply: GTR transmission failure!