Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GTR transmission failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:05 AM
zstreet86

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is definately a deterent from buying this car...
Old 10-08-2008, 07:16 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmertech
i hope you're not talking about the e46 m3 s54 rod bearing issue, where bmw issued a recall(voluntarily) also extending the warranty on the drivetrain to 100k miles.
There were of course warranty denials reported until the design defect was recognized and acknowledged. The situation is no different here.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:48 AM
WhiteNoiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I had a similar experiance with my auto 2001 Prelude. Since it was the last production year of the car, and so few of them were made (compared to civics etc), Honda wouldn't recall. People tried banning together for a class action lawsuit, but nothing ever came of it. To this day, people still get the shaft when their tranny goes out, and its a known fact the design is flawed. The transmission was built with too small of tolerances, which caused the tranny to bake the fluid. It had to be changed every 10-15k to try and avoid a failure. Mine eventually started making some concerning noises...enter 350z.

This seems all too familure, and sketchy.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

porsche does the same thing from what I remember. no manufacturer builds a road car to be abused in thier eyes.

I disagree
Old 10-08-2008, 12:45 PM
bakerb22

Originally Posted by HATED1
Saw this in another forum, quite interesting cut and pasted from member "young Z" on nwn.

Nissan will void your warranty if you drive the car with the VDC off too often. Apparently the guy f'd his transmission up and will have to pay 20k to get it replaced. The funny thing is that in order to get the 3.4 0-60 time you have to turn off the VDC but in turn will void your transmission. If thats the case I'd just take Porsche 911 GT3 .

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....pic=25361&st=0

**link no longer works
That actually isn't true. In order to reach the Best 0-60 times you have to drive the vehicle in all race mode. Driving it with the VDC off and the other 2 in race mode will not allow you to do the launch properly. I'm sure it will still go fast, but not as fast as it can be..... and this is coming from an owner who knows someone who had transmission failure. He claimed no abuse to the car, but then did 35 launches before his brake in period was even complete. Most of these people complaining don't know how to care for a car. And for reference sake, Ferrari's launch system only allows 5 hard launches before you get a new clutch......
Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 PM
sinister350z

he shoulda got a rsx.........
Old 10-08-2008, 02:36 PM
snappy

NEVER buy a 1st year production car! If you did Oh well, your bad! 1st Year buyers are the Ginney Pigs of the Automotive Industry! Suckers! Common Sense! Let other's eat up the bugs, and then you can swoop into one later, minus the markup the stealerships tack on...$70K + Markup----No brainer---996TT
Old 10-08-2008, 02:49 PM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by bakerb22
That actually isn't true. In order to reach the Best 0-60 times you have to drive the vehicle in all race mode. Driving it with the VDC off and the other 2 in race mode will not allow you to do the launch properly. I'm sure it will still go fast, but not as fast as it can be..... and this is coming from an owner who knows someone who had transmission failure. He claimed no abuse to the car, but then did 35 launches before his brake in period was even complete. Most of these people complaining don't know how to care for a car. And for reference sake, Ferrari's launch system only allows 5 hard launches before you get a new clutch......
Good first post!....not even sarcastic. People blowing these cars up did not break in the car properly. I know of another trans failure....after reading the computer....the customer did 18.....18 hard LAUNCHES in one HOUR. Come on people, NO one is driving along I95 and then WHAM, all of a sudden out of nowhere it blows up....

For those who have never been in a launched GTR....you should probably STFU because you have no idea how violent that type of launch is. Find me something that can launch like that and never break then get back to me

Last edited by UMW350Z; 10-08-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:47 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Motormouth
porsche does the same thing from what I remember. no manufacturer builds a road car to be abused in thier eyes.

I disagree
How many manufacturers build an advertised feature in a vehicle, then consider it abuse when that feature is used?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
raulzito

the bottom line is that nissan tranny sucks. I have had to replace the tranny in my Z twice, under warranty, its a piece. I have honestly, not raced the car (before the two tranny's went down). This was within the first couple of months of owning the car. Now the car seems to be running okay.
The r35 GTR is way over rated. I would take the R34, supra, 350z anyday over the R35. The maintance cost would be greater than me buying a 350. Nissan screwed up, and the real enthusiast are paying for it. All we ever wanted was a regular 6spd tranny. Dang, was that too hard to do.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 PM
seekndestroy19

Originally Posted by snappy
NEVER buy a 1st year production car! If you did Oh well, your bad! 1st Year buyers are the Ginney Pigs of the Automotive Industry! Suckers! Common Sense! Let other's eat up the bugs, and then you can swoop into one later, minus the markup the stealerships tack on...$70K + Markup----No brainer---996TT
i agree. just like the iphone....so many people purchased it on day 1 then they all had problems with them within a month or two. never buy something right away
Old 10-09-2008, 03:47 AM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
For those who have never been in a launched GTR....you should probably STFU because you have no idea how violent that type of launch is. Find me something that can launch like that and never break then get back to me

Veyron
Old 10-09-2008, 04:15 AM
Manu

This is precisely what I was fearing with the GT-R.

This car has given access to supercar performance to people who have no idea what supercar ownership implies in terms of cost.

You can't have a car that out accelerates any Lambo and then complain that it costs a lot when it is a known fact that a supercar like a Lambo will need a new clutch roughly every 5000 miles.

Some owners of this car are in for a very very rude awakening.

Soon we'll see threads about tires that lasted only 1500 miles
Old 10-09-2008, 04:22 AM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

wow 20k is insane!
Old 10-09-2008, 04:57 AM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by Manu

This car has given access to supercar performance to people who have no idea what supercar ownership implies in terms of cost.

You can't have a car that out accelerates any Lambo and then complain that it costs a lot when it is a known fact that a supercar like a Lambo will need a new clutch roughly every 5000 miles.

Any Lambo lol. As for supercar ownership? Its a Nissan. So as such, cost of ownership and up keep should reflect this. If I buy a Nissan and pay Porsche prices for up keep and parts then the equation is flawed.

I think the GTR's approach was flawed in my laymans understanding of engineering etc. The car didnt need to be this heavy nor this computer laden to achieve this level of performance imho. As an example look no further than a car thats only 20k more, a crude device by comparison with no computers yet will decimate a GTR with ease as head to head test have shown.

Im probably gonna get flamed for this but I like to take a step back and look at things from a realistic, unbiased perspective. Same thing I did with the Veyron. Excess for the sake of excess. Makes sense at 2 million dollars. Less so at 70-80k. I hope Nissan addresses the tranny issue soon so it doesnt tarnish the GTR's overall impressive resume.

Last edited by SnakeBitten; 10-09-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:11 AM
raulzito

Originally Posted by Manu

A LOT of people that have bought the GTR have enough money for a supercar, lambo, porsche, ferrari, ect.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Manu

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Any Lambo lol. As for supercar ownership? Its a Nissan. So as such, cost of ownership and up keep should reflect this. If I buy a Nissan and pay Porsche prices for up keep and parts then the equation is flawed.
me.
That where we'll have to agree to disagree. I think GTR is a supercar first, and a Nissan second. I do not think it is realistic to expect a car that does so many things well to be cheap to maintain.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Manu

Originally Posted by raulzito
A LOT of people that have bought the GTR have enough money for a supercar, lambo, porsche, ferrari, ect.
And these owners have chosen the car for its absolute performance, for sure we will not see them complain about running costs.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:28 AM
SilverSpear

I think the best thing that Nissan should do is develop a 7speed gearbox for that car. The BMW M5 has a 7 speed... why not the GT-R?

So far any words about a Manual in that car? Or will it stay Auto?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:36 AM
UMW350Z

One of the few things wrong with the GTR is the price...it is waaay to low. It is right at that point where people could really stretch to buy it, but then the maintinence will make the car sit most of the time.

If you can prove the Veyron never breaks after using the launch control hundreds of times consecutively, I would be very surprised to see said information!!!!!!

Quick Reply: GTR transmission failure!