Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Driven1
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prosport...have any tq numbers?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:50 AM
My350P

So would everyone be just dandy if Nissan had eliminated the possibility of turning VDC off or using LC in the first place?

The ONLY difference in the car would be fewer options available. I would rather have the ability to do stupid things with my car if I want, but choose not to, or accept the consequences if I do.

Nissan clearly states that turning VDC off will void any resulting damage, and never advertises the LC. But they opted to give owners the ability to do this anyway at their own risk. It boggles me that people are talking lawsuits over doing something the owner's manual outright tells you not to do.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Prosport Gauges

410lb TQ to the wheels....
Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Fquick link to a article on it.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM
r0csfinest

Originally Posted by Prosport Gauges
LMAO are you on crack! how about we go off roading! HEHE
im not sure exactly what your trying to say anymore
Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 PM
TSG-Z

Yes, this design flaw may be my one way to get my hands on a GTR

I really dont understand why Nissan would treat buyers of their Supercar like this, this isnt a Versa
Old 10-09-2008, 06:57 PM
brady

Originally Posted by seekndestroy19
i agree. just like the iphone....so many people purchased it on day 1 then they all had problems with them within a month or two. never buy something right away
It's nothing like that....

The iPhone is only $200. Not $100k! I lose $200, oh well, I'll recover. Screw me over for $20k and it's a different story.

Nissan really is showing their true colours on this one. Unreal. Who cares if it's first gen or not. To not warranty the vehicle due to poor manufacturing is NOT ACCEPTABLE! Nissan S U C K S. Proper R&D should be provided prior to release any product to the masses, but even there some issues come out. How many issues has there been with the first gen e46 or e90 M3's? And any issues that have come out of the wood-work have been handled through warranty. Calling people suckers for buying first gen products is not cool. Nothing is wrong with having faith in a company or it's products, especially with a company who has a fairly good track record.

It's not that they failed in the production of the car, that happens as we all know... it's how they are not owning up to their responsibilities to the consumers. Further more I find if extremely difficult that they didn't break some transmissions during development. "Oh boss, we broke another tranny". I would flag that as a "RED LIGHT". But no, the boss says "That is because you activated the Vehicle Damage Computer, let's keep it there but screw people over who use it."

Again, Nissan has really dropped the ball by not fixing this issue. I feel sad for those of us who had faith in this company to do the right thing. We are the suckers.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bakerb22
Well that may be true. But lets be honest guys, most of the people in this forum are used to driving vehicles that dont have the dynamics of cars such as a GT-R. if you tune a 350Z to 400hp and blow out your clutch, you can directly attribute that to the fact that the clutch was not designed from the factory to withstand that so you cant really blame it. Most other cars that perform in the same realm as the GT-R also have significant problems. Have you ever driven a corvette with over 20,000 miles, they rattle themselves apart (and please, any vette drivers, please dont respond by telling me your crazy horsepower ratings that have withstood a million miles of hard driving). 10 launches at a time is a lot of launches. 10 launches is alot. And guys, we are paying the money for this car for the consistency at which it reaches these numbers. Most people pay attention to the fastest 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. But if you really read the numbers. They may hvae done 5 launches in lets say a Porsche Turbo, and gotten anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 0-60, so the cars are not performing at as high a level as consistently. AWD cars are VERY hard and automatic transmissions with the level of shift speed that the GT-R has. In race mode, your next clutch is spinning over 1,000 RPM's higher than it will engage at, so it is literally dropping the clutch every time the car is driven hard. Just stuff to keep in mind guys.....
You think saying that makes you any less full of crap? Seriously get a clue.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:20 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by My350P
So would everyone be just dandy if Nissan had eliminated the possibility of turning VDC off or using LC in the first place?

The ONLY difference in the car would be fewer options available. I would rather have the ability to do stupid things with my car if I want, but choose not to, or accept the consequences if I do.

Nissan clearly states that turning VDC off will void any resulting damage, and never advertises the LC. But they opted to give owners the ability to do this anyway at their own risk. It boggles me that people are talking lawsuits over doing something the owner's manual outright tells you not to do.
Everyone but nissan because without that feature the GTR puts out very common numbers and isnt the big performer nissan wants you to think it is.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Everyone but nissan because without that feature the GTR puts out very common numbers and isnt the big performer nissan wants you to think it is.
without LC its still a high 3 sec 0-60 and around 12 flat 1/4 mile

still not bad if you ask me
Old 10-09-2008, 09:39 PM
r_seng

This is all over my BMW forums, they are having a field day over there trying to find something to call crap on Nissan for, and low and behold this tranny issue comes up.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

That actually isn't true. In order to reach the Best 0-60 times you have to drive the vehicle in all race mode. Driving it with the VDC off and the other 2 in race mode will not allow you to do the launch properly. ...

launch control is engaged with R R OFF not R R R
Old 10-09-2008, 10:58 PM
jinsei888

Originally Posted by Sotomatic
On the plus side it means these cars will be cheaper as used vehicles since most will have unintentionaly voided their warranty within a year.
how is that a plus? second hand owners will be SOL with a car that is destined to fail its transmission. you NEED that warranty to get you those transmission rebuilds and maintenance. I for one would NOT want to be a second hand owner of a car that is a ticking time bomb for a $20K transmission failure...think about it
Old 10-10-2008, 05:48 AM
bakerb22

Sorry to say guys, but it is done in all race mode. All of the testing has been done in all race mode, and launch control is done in all race mode as well. Go to the source and check it out, I'm sure you will find the right answer there. Supercars are never perfect, they have there issues just like every other car. Transmissions dont magically fail, like i said before, the person i know whose failed did 35 launches before the break in period was even done, how can you expect a transmission or any part to hold up when it is treated like crap before the car is even broken in. Mine on the other hand was broken in (as best i could) and i have been problem free. Its easy to pile on a car that intimidates other manufacturers. Do yourselves a favor and look up Ferrari's launch control system, and not the crappy one they bring to America, the one that works like the GT-R's (in Europe). You get 5 launches (thats right, half of the GT-R's) and then at that point you are told by them that a new clutch is REQUIRED!!!! Nobody seems to talk about that amongst all of this. And as for the Vette, show me that launch control, or show me a guy who can hit 3.5 every time, you wont find either one......
Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 AM
06CPV35

To my knowledge there is no vehicle, regardless of price, that can withstand taking it's components to the max design limits consistently without having an eventual component failure, all the while still expecting long term reliability in the process? What really was to be gained by so many launches. The number of launches stated is probably more than it was designed to handle in it's lifetime. My survey says.....owner abuse.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Polo08816
Banned

Originally Posted by jinsei888
how is that a plus? second hand owners will be SOL with a car that is destined to fail its transmission. you NEED that warranty to get you those transmission rebuilds and maintenance. I for one would NOT want to be a second hand owner of a car that is a ticking time bomb for a $20K transmission failure...think about it
Well, being the 2nd hand owner is not a problem. You will just have to adjust your offer price to what would reflect the cost of replacing the transmission.

MSRP - total depreciation - $20,000 for transmission replacement for the future - inconvenience fee = selling price of a used GTR.

...it's not going to be high, I'll let you know that much right now.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 AM
HDPDZO6

According to MC (on the website which we aren't allowed to link here)...

GT-R production suspended.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
According to MC (on the website which we aren't allowed to link here)...

GT-R production suspended.
he told me it might be more related everything going on with thw world economic's not some problem with the transmission.

we'll let you know
Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Sorry to say guys, but it is done in all race mode. All of the testing has been done in all race mode, and launch control is done in all race mode as well. Go to the source and check it out

bro, launch control is R R OFF

Last edited by Nitrouz; 10-10-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
he told me it might be more related everything going on with thw world economic's not some problem with the transmission.

we'll let you know

Agreed. I seriously doubt it would have anything to do with a mechanical issue.

Quick Reply: GTR transmission failure!