Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

HELP need assistance ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 03:42 PM
WhyNotZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP need assistance ASAP

i was having a system put in my car today so far they are half way done they will be dont tomorrow. anyway i am having navigation put in and now i cannot put up my top. the light stays on on the dash which normally only goes on when the top is in motion. anyone know how i can fix this? does something need to be reset? the top is down now.

thanks
andrew
Old 02-16-2005, 03:58 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm not really sure how the top works, but if the hand brake has to be up to put the top up or down, and if they wired the nav to your hand brake so you have to be stopped to watch the screen...maybe when they hooked up the nav to the brake they disconnected the wire for the top by mistake? worth a shot, again assuming that the hand brake has to be engaged for the top to operate.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:04 PM
WhyNotZ

nope only foot brake needs to be engaged.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did they also put in a auto start? Could have wired into the switch that controls the top. I would check the fuses or even the relays. With the car off hit the button for the top and see if you can hear any clicking from the relys switching on and off. If not check the switch. If they had to remove the drivers side dash under the stearing wheel they might have forgotten to hook the switch back up. I would start with the fuses then go with the switch.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:53 PM
WhyNotZ

Switch works u hear the relay clicking the light stays on in the dash it is like the car doesn't know the top is down
Old 02-16-2005, 05:24 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

This is just one of the many reasons why I am staying OEM. Newbie installers that have never done a particular vehicle and think they know everything. GL with your misfortune!
Old 02-16-2005, 05:35 PM
WhyNotZ

you dont need to be mean. lol that is how you learn. it is not like it cant be fixed just an inconvience. i am thinking that the computer needs to be reset it needs to be told that the top is down. or perhaps it has something to do with the speed sensor since the navi taps into that.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:43 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally posted by WhyNotZ
you dont need to be mean. lol that is how you learn. it is not like it cant be fixed just an inconvience. i am thinking that the computer needs to be reset it needs to be told that the top is down. or perhaps it has something to do with the speed sensor since the navi taps into that.
Not being mean, if the installers knew what they were doing you would not be in this situation. GL, I hope you get it fixed.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:46 AM
Richardew

There are 2 inputs to the top controller that have vehicle speed data. If you interrupt only one, the controller gets one signal with the car's speed and another that the speed is 0. This makes the light blink and disables the top operation. They need to input the vehicle speed data to the navigation system. When they did this they might have interrupted the signal (and used it to send the speed input to the nav) so that it is not going to the top controller. I have OEM nav. It locks you out of most of the nav functions when the car is moving. I put a switch on the wire that inputs speed data to the nav computer. When I through the switch it fools the nav into thinking that the speed is 0 and allows me to use all of the nav functions while moving. When I use this, I get the blinking light (the one you are getting, with the icon of the top) in the dash, and the top is disabled. When I turn the car off it resets. I'll bet that they used this input for your aftermarket NAV and aren't sending the signal to the top controller anymore. I have the wiring schematic and can email it to you if you want to look at it. (I have the 04 service manual, not the 05, but it's probably the same)
rich
Old 02-19-2005, 04:42 AM
WhyNotZ

thanks if you could email it to me that would be great. my email is drummer793@aol.com

thanks
Old 02-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

is that the service manual for the ZR?
Electronic version?

Whats the http link to download off the internet.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM
skandalous

I am experiencing this same issue after having some body work done. To make matters worse the speedo needle goes to 120 when started and stays there! Any thoughts? TIA