Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Top Down Track ZR- Which wing? FUNCTION ~not form~

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM
specialized5223

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Down Track ZR- Which wing? FUNCTION ~not form~

I have a stripped, caged ZR. I'm looking for a wing but I'm not certain on what height and angle I should go with to get the best downforce. Obviously I don't have a roofline so it's hard for me to predict where the vacuum and clean air is.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
-Kevin
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Phreakdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my two yen ...

I really couldn't say how well this works, but I had the means to acquire one, I'd have it.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior/47...-type-8-a.html
Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 PM
specialized5223

Yeah. I'd have to put that towards C/F doors and an FCON before dropping 3.5 on a wing. Gorgeous though!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If its a track car, think about what what rules it could compete in if you choose to do so in the future. That can help you narrow down the type and mounting of the wing. i.e. same classes max out at about 10 inches of height & a maximum width of 59 inches.

As a standard look to APR for wings, they make a variety of sizes to fit different class structures.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:35 PM
specialized5223

I've actually never done any events. Only open track time for fun. I like the idea of competing but I more or less compete against myself or friends and I prefer to keep building my car how it suits me. Aside, I am extremely competitive and overly committed to competition. I've purposely been trying to avoid it such that I can maintain the passion and interest without the contamination of obsession and frustration... So really, even in the future, I do not intend to participate in events.

*I'm simply looking for whatever provides the best performance.

Last edited by specialized5223; 02-01-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by specialized5223
I've actually never done any events. Only open track time for fun. I like the idea of competing but I more or less compete against myself or friends and I prefer to keep building my car how it suits me. Aside, I am extremely competitive and overly committed to competition. I've purposely been trying to avoid it such that I can maintain the passion and interest without the contamination of obsession and frustration... So really, even in the future, I do not intend to participate in events.

*I'm simply looking for whatever provides the best performance.
so you have a roadster?
IMO if you want BEST PERFORMANCE you should look at a different car (either a coupe or a different chassis alltogether).
I'd suggest going to a true racing shop and asking them. You need to figure out how much downforce you want/need and then find out wich wing will suit it best. If i was serious about performance, i would get a hardtop. I know nissan did some engineering to make the cabin less turbulent, but I still think the open top creates a significant amount drag... (on the serious performance level)
Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 AM
specialized5223

Yes, I've often considered how it was a mistake on my part to go this far with a roadster. However, it started out as fun modding and has now become more than a hobby. I have so much invested in the car, I couldn't start fresh with another. I had been working on a removable hardtop, I suppose I will have to finish that up.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Phreakdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sometimes wonder if you're actually better off in the roadster. The chassis in the roadster is pretty strong. Try to think of it without the trunk and tonneau cover on. The chassis is tied behind the driver's seat, then again between the trunk and top storage.

Since you have removed the 132 pound convertible top assembly, you can save some more weight going with a CF tonneau cover and trunk. You added the cage but then again, someone with a coupe would too. BTW: If you have no top, lose the windows and motors. If you will use the windows on rare occasions, replace with plexiglass?

You've lowered your center of gravity as much as possible, this should be an interesting project. (A bit too extreme for my daily summer driver) I will watch this with interest.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 02-05-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:20 AM
specialized5223

The C/F tonneau and trunk lids are lighter but not enough to justify the cost. I was actually going to either
A. Make a lightweight frame of some sort and get ONLY the C/F overlay and make a super light cover or
B. dissect the oem covers and pull out all of the reinforcement and waste layers they put in to suck up vibration, deaden sound, etc...

As far as further weight reduction goes, I am trying to shed the pounds still but it seems to only come from the rear. I was going to add a plate weight or a weighted diffuser to the rear to keep the balance ideal but also maintain the lowest possible center of gravity. I don't want trunk weights...

If I have to, there is always the removable hardtop project.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I would remove the motors for the top, take the oem top and use the metal as a skeleton to make a c/f overlay. Some reinforcement, move the top lock-in bar and also the rear lock, viola. This is a very very simple overlook of something that would be extremely difficult to make, but it IS doable. (For the aerodynamics of the car)