Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

convertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Bukasa11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The elastic straps are vital to proper top operation. They tend to pull the frame together so it will retract properly.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 PM
A3lseeker

Default Motor or regulator?

Originally Posted by DocJ
I had similar problem on my 05 zr. Started with 5th bow sounding sluggish & weak like motor was straining. Had several times where it wouldn't budge, but heard the latch in back "click" with top indicator light coming on. Sometimes with several attempts it would go. Finally got to where it wouldn't open, but windows & such would go down like normal early cycle. Turned out it wasn't my 5th bow motor, but some sort of regulator that controls all the different motors cycling at specific times. Luckily, I had purchased an extended warranty which covered most of the repair cost. Just fyi, may not be the 5th bow motor which is what I had expected to hear.
I just bought this Roadster and the owner showed me the top worked (opened and closed one time) I got it home and after one week, I tried to open. It sounds just like your problem above where the latch clicks, light comes on, but won't budge. The previous owner said he did have some trouble occasionally when it hadn't been opened in a while. He said he just kept it lubed up good, but sometime had to "help" it a little??? Anyway, The motor sounds like it will start and then just "kicks" out very quick like it is being shut down by a sensor or something. I read on another post that sometimes removing the negative battery lead can help reset the system, but this did not work for me. Any easy way to check/reset the regulator???
Old 12-29-2014, 08:02 AM
markm.levine

2004 nissan 350z roadster convertible. top starts to open but then stops and it does close. can this be a fuse or is something far more sinister. also where is the control unit located?
HELP
Old 02-24-2015, 11:06 PM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by markm.levine
2004 nissan 350z roadster convertible. top starts to open but then stops and it does close. can this be a fuse or is something far more sinister. also where is the control unit located?
HELP
Control unit is a white box located under the seats
Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 AM
jhmolter

Originally Posted by skyhiguy
fakepopster,

The 5th bar motor part number shows as 97100-CE41A with a list price of $691.31. They seem to be the weak link in the system, appear too weak in power to handle the load required.

Good Luck,

Bud
I have a used motor I could sell real cheap I took it out of 2005 350z.Here's How I got it I had to replace motor and Cables because cables were Broke and could not get just cables had to get complete unit
Old 05-24-2016, 09:22 AM
Tracileasimon

Default Soft top not working

I hope someone can help me please! I'm new to this forum so hello and thank you. My problem: my passenger side seat is not working. I pulled the seat out and tested to see if it was getting juice. And it is. Now keep in mind without my seat working.... I CAN'T PUT MY TOP DOWN!! I thought that I could push the cancel button on the back of the seat?? NO.. that doesn't work either. I'm thinking it might be my switch but wouldn't my cancel button work? Is there any way to straight wire the seat? I absolutely love my car and the fact that I bought it in December and the top worked, now it's summer and it doesn't. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:31 PM
esalings

Originally Posted by fastturbinejets
okay it didnt last a year. I found brushes at the hardware store that were almost a perfect match. I sanded them a little and used some small jr connectors used in the rc hobby industry to connect the wires and 10 cycles later its doing great. I also found out the motors are powered directly from the soft top control unit with no fuses......Nissan????? What are you thinking?

So if you test the motors and they read fine it could be the soft top control unit or the prox switches. If you have damaged the board let me know. You can do a jumper on the peg side.

Sincerely,

Eddie
Where is the soft top control unit and how do you jump it?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:49 AM
esalings

Everyone, finally fixed my top for 04. While the 5th bow motor is a common problem you can't always assume that is the issue. The convertible top has 6 motors, each motor has 2 sensors for top positioning, unlocking actuator, and locking mechanism in the storage lid. As usual, had the dealer look at my top, estimated $2,500 for 5th bow assembly replacement. I decided to tackle myself and turns out it wasn't the 5th bow at all. In fact, it was due to shoddy work done my the dealer 3 years prior. Anyone see anything wrong with this wire on the locking mechanism?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:51 AM
esalings

the top control unit is NOT under the seats. It's located under the storage lid.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:58 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracileasimon
I hope someone can help me please! I'm new to this forum so hello and thank you. My problem: my passenger side seat is not working. I pulled the seat out and tested to see if it was getting juice. And it is. Now keep in mind without my seat working.... I CAN'T PUT MY TOP DOWN!! I thought that I could push the cancel button on the back of the seat?? NO.. that doesn't work either. I'm thinking it might be my switch but wouldn't my cancel button work? Is there any way to straight wire the seat? I absolutely love my car and the fact that I bought it in December and the top worked, now it's summer and it doesn't. Thank you in advance.
Did you ever fix the problem?
Old 06-18-2016, 01:01 AM
duckyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey! New here, to the forums. I've been through this entire thread and don't know if my issue is something new or I just misread a few things... Anyway, I'm not new to Z cars, just the Z33. I loved my t-tops in the S130 so I bought a Roadster. Top worked fine for a few weeks, and then this happened... (caution: jerky video, but you can hear the motor trying...)

I also noticed that the "sequence of events" prior to the top going down isn't working, either. Windows will roll down, but the passenger seat doesn't move anymore. And, well.... the top just sits there.
The following users liked this post:
350z-UB (07-22-2017)
Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 AM
bvitou

Originally Posted by esalings
Everyone, finally fixed my top for 04. While the 5th bow motor is a common problem you can't always assume that is the issue. The convertible top has 6 motors, each motor has 2 sensors for top positioning, unlocking actuator, and locking mechanism in the storage lid. As usual, had the dealer look at my top, estimated $2,500 for 5th bow assembly replacement. I decided to tackle myself and turns out it wasn't the 5th bow at all. In fact, it was due to shoddy work done my the dealer 3 years prior. Anyone see anything wrong with this wire on the locking mechanism?
No I don't. Is this behind the plastic attached to the lid? If so does the whole plastic piece need to come off or is it right below where the lid locks down behind the seat? I replaced the 5th bow motor brushes and it worked fine for a few days but now it doesn't work at all with the lid stuck open.

Last edited by bvitou; 08-02-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: send more info.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:25 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bvitou
No I don't. Is this behind the plastic attached to the lid? If so does the whole plastic piece need to come off or is it right below where the lid locks down behind the seat? I replaced the 5th bow motor brushes and it worked fine for a few days but now it doesn't work at all with the lid stuck open.
I am gonna say it has something to do with being squished flat right where I circled:
Attached Thumbnails convertible top problem-squished.jpg  
Old 08-08-2016, 09:15 AM
bvitou

Originally Posted by BlueBullet
OK, so like everyone else, I am having problems with my top. Many thanks to BlueBadge and Domrvt for their great posts. I rebuilt my 5th bow motor, and know it works because I jumped it off to my battery.

However, the top still does not work. After checking what I could, I think the 5th bow half latch switch isn't working. I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to get to it. I know it is under the lid, inside that plastic cover. However, I am not sure how to get the cover off (I did get the little access panel off). It appears you have to take the entire lid off. But it also appears that the plastic is sealed to the underside of the lid with an adhesive. Is this correct, or will the plastic cover simply come off once all the lid bolts/nuts are off?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
how did you get to the 5th bow half latch switch, I think I have the same problem???????
Old 03-05-2017, 06:27 PM
djalva69

what are the straps that help the top to close
Old 03-05-2017, 06:57 PM
bluebadge

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Found them!

Originally Posted by djalva69
Hey Dave, I think I found them!

https://conceptzperformance.com/niss...z33_p_4284.php

Not too pricey, only tools you'll need are a drill and a riveter!

Cheers
BB
Old 03-05-2017, 07:03 PM
bluebadge

Default More info..

Originally Posted by djalva69
Not sure if that's the price for one though, I think it is.

The Official Nissan part number is 97150-CE01B. You might find them cheaper on Ebay.

BB
Old 03-05-2017, 07:17 PM
bluebadge

Default Elastic Straps for those in need...

Can be bought online individually for about $50 each. I'd shop around as there are a couple of sites that sell them, Ebay has then for about $46 each.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:58 PM
Bukasa11

Contact Everything Nissan in AZ. 35% off List retail
Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Bukasa11

Top operation is intermittent. Sometimes cycles completely thru, sometimes stops mid cycle. Pax seats moves back, like the system think it is complete. Sometimes, 5th Bow won't completely close and latch. Maybe poltergeists???

Quick Reply: convertible top problem