Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Convertible Top Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 AM
richcity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Convertible Top Issues

How is everyone doing? This is my first post and can't find any answers throughout the site. Has anyone had problems lowering or raising their top. At times when i put the top down, if it works, it sounds like its dieing while moving very weak. Could it just be the motors are going out or something else? Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 08:27 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has worked flawlessly so far. The only issue I had was the Tonneau cover rubbing against the trunk. I adjusted the trunk brackets to raise it in the rear a little. That fixed the problem. No other issues, thank goodness.

It sounds like your motors are going out. Maybe if you can get everything oiled up, it may help. I haven't read a post yet about someones sounding like that yet.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:02 AM
mg350ZR

Originally Posted by richcity
... can't find any answers throughout the site. Has anyone had problems lowering or raising their top. ...
Really??? That's hard to believe.
Typing "top problem" in the search box yielded several results on this topic for me:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=top+problem

I'm sure there are more previous threads. I stopped after looking at first seven pages of returned search threads.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
richcity

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mg350ZR
Really??? That's hard to believe.
Typing "top problem" in the search box yielded several results on this topic for me:

Links

I'm sure there are more previous threads. I stopped after looking at first seven pages of returned search threads.
I probably didn’t find those results because I didn’t search “top problem”. However, I do want to thank you for assisting me on where to find information concerning my convertible issue and also for your pointless comments. Have an outstanding day.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:28 AM
mg350ZR

... However, I do want to thank you for ... your pointless comments. ...

Before you post any more witless replies or start more useless threads, I suggest a lesson in forum etiquette:

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf

No need to thank me, this is just public service.

Last edited by mg350ZR; 05-19-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:17 PM
joshuaadude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My uncle drove my car for about two years before he gave it to me, and my top hasnt given me any problems at all. I don't know what the issue may be, but perhaps there is something wrong with the electric wiring with the top itself? If you still have warranty, I would suggest you just bring the car in to the shop and get it checked out.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
kenpo_350Z

Originally Posted by mg350ZR

Before you post any more witless replies or start more useless threads, I suggest a lesson in forum etiquette:

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf

No need to thank me, this is just public service.
No kidding, you help the guy out and past several threads and still get dogged on. Just can't please everybody I guess.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:51 PM
bluespecv03

Only problem Ive had with mine is whenever the temperature is below 55 or so, the top wont go all of the way down. I know I know, who wants it down when its that cold anyway, but sometimes I do.

The owners manual says not to put it down below 32 degrees, so I would imagine it should be ok putting it down above 45 degrees. Anyone have any suggestions? Nothing like a nice cool winter night with the top down!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:00 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is where I'm guessing you lost the guy and got the defensive response.....You wrote the response like you wanted to help him then you came off as "holier than thou", like you knew how to use search better....I kind of read it like he did. I'm guessing you wanted to help though. Nice try.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:36 PM
gregom

I havent had any major problems with mine, but i've only had it 3 months... Occasionally when I try to put the top down it wont go all the way so I have to put it back up partially where the soft top will start coming back up, then put it down again and its fine. But that doesnt happen but maybe once a month now. And I put the top down/up several times a day, probably 4 times a day, every day.

You are opening/closing the top with the engine running though right? Those motors require a lot of amperage so if your running of battery and its getting low or has low voltage output, the top action may slow down.

I'm surprised how few people put the top down, even when its nice outside! What the hell??? Just get the hard top then! lol... I love the top down drive, and even drove it like that when it was 45 F and above. With the windows up and heater on i'm usually quite comfortable except my ears get cold. Wish they would copy Mercedes "Airscarf" system... Guess one could install their own concoction...
Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

mg350ZR........I personally have made many comments how bad the tops are. The next model ZR will definitely have a re-tractable aluminum top!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 AM
kenpo_350Z

^ That will be awesome. I bet they will cost a pretty penny.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:11 PM
bluespecv03

Yes, I always have the engine running when opening/closing the top. The only things I can think of that would keep it from opening below 55 or so would be...

1. The top material is too stiff and cannot compress into the storage area when cold.

2. The hinges and joints need some lubrication, but then why would it work fine when its a bit warmer out?

Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM
richcity

Unhappy

So I took the car to the dealership today, and they are guessing it’s the 5th bar motor. The cost of it is approximately $1480, really sucks! They want me to leave the car with them for about 2 days to remove the top and diagnose the problem exactly which will cost $150. This is to give me an exact cause, after reading the other forums I’m pretty sure that’s what the problem is. I can’t believe the cost of it and will have to hold off on fixing it for now. If anyone knows a cheaper way of locating the part or getting it fixed that would be awesome.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:21 PM
richcity

How has everyone been?
How ironic is this… Today in the mail I get a letter from a company called Warranty Activation Headquarters, I’m bored, I give them a call to see what the deal is. Well they give me an offer with a whole bunch of discounts and it comes out to $2100 bucks total. My next big question was, do they cover convertible parts and electrical motors since Nissans suck? Well they don’t cover the fabric and what not but, in fact cover all electrical motors controlling the convertible top. I’m thinking… not a bad deal! I say that because a lot of other companies weren’t covering my top due to my mileage. I’m going to get a their packet in the next few days with all the exact information but have 30 days to change my mind and get a refund on my deposit. I’m curious and can definitely use some feedback from other owners on what opinions are.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:31 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

How has everyone been?
How ironic is this… Today in the mail I get a letter from a company called Warranty Activation Headquarters, I’m bored, I give them a call to see what the deal is. Well they give me an offer with a whole bunch of discounts and it comes out to $2100 bucks total. My next big question was, do they cover convertible parts and electrical motors since Nissans suck? Well they don’t cover the fabric and what not but, in fact cover all electrical motors controlling the convertible top. I’m thinking… not a bad deal! I say that because a lot of other companies weren’t covering my top due to my mileage. I’m going to get a their packet in the next few days with all the exact information but have 30 days to change my mind and get a refund on my deposit. I’m curious and can definitely use some feedback from other owners on what opinions are.
....Not sure what you mean by "and what not"?
Do they cover labor?
$2100 seems like a lot of money to me.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:42 AM
chickenputo

Despise convertible top problems
Old 05-24-2008, 03:57 PM
KombatKing

Well if you are 100% sure they will cover everything but the actual top, then I think it's not too bad of a price - how long is the warranty for - how many miles do you have on your Z, etc.

~KK
Old 05-24-2008, 04:09 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How has everyone been?
Hey, not to rain on your parade, but I'd search google.com for "Warranty Activation Headquarters." It's not ironic at all that you got their offer. They send it out to millions and the whole name of the company and structure of their message is to make people think that they have something to do with their existing warranty. They call me about 5 times a week and have broken many different telemarketing laws in those calls. Check out the first link in your google search.

I have never done business with them, but I'd recommend a more reputable company like warranty direct. I bought a warranty from them and they were really good to deal with.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 PM
skyhiguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two items

1. Your top problem symptoms sound like how many others started out, including mine. The top wound up failing and it was the 5th bow motor that needed replacement. Mine ran $1376.00. Many on the forum have suggested lubricating all the moving parts you can access with a good silicon spray. Turns out these motors are very small and any additional stress from alignment problems, or rolling resistance can cause them to burn out, especially the 5th bow. I'd try lubricating to see if that helps before replacing motor ............. asuming it is still working at this point.

2. If the top has stopped working, you may want to tactfully inquire to any extended warranty provider about pre-existing conditions before you buy one. You wouldn't want to be told, after you shell out big $$ for an extended warranty, that pre-existing conditions are not covered.

Good Luck,

Bud

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Issues