Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Drop Top and suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 AM
Old Chuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Top and suspension issues

Due to my being a novice about the Z, I will post this here instead of the more indepth discussions in the suspensiion section. Can the Z drop top be made to handle well or is it similiar to most unibody cars in that there will always be too much flex without a top for support. I am considering several vehicles and some were made as convertibles and are realtively stiff and some are frame on rail and are also stiff however, many can never stiffen up enough without a top to be competitive. I realize that weight will always be an issue for most drop tops but was wondering if anything can be done to make it competitive. I understand that anything can me made better if you throw enough money at it but was looking at a realistic answer.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:25 AM
WhiteNoiz

good question. If I had an answer for yu I would post it here

Have you considered just getting a coupe?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

get a coupe
Old 08-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Old Chuck

Default Why move post ?

I had posted a question about a drop top and suspension issues and it was moved to the roadster forum. I had not posted on the roadster forum because I wanted more exposure from suspension folks who, might contribute to my question. Most people who buy roadsters do not usually do extensive mods to the suspensions and wanted to see if it was possible to get the roadster to handle well without throwing tens of thousands into it.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:52 PM
gregom

The mods here are weird that way, they sometimes move threads to not the most appropiate area.

Anyway, i've driven both the Roadster and Coupe, hard... and there isn't much of a difference. The Roadster is also very stiff. If you have to get a convertible maybe you should look at a car that was designed to be one from the ground up, like a Honda S2000 or Mazda MX-5... But they don't have enough power if you ask me.

Have you driven a Roadster yet? They are awesome...
Old 08-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Old Chuck

Default I agree

Think you are right with respect to other cars. Have been looking at the 3.4 P-Boxster and the Vette. Both are built as a drop top. Well, the Vette is not however with the frame on rail set up it is not much different then the coupe in stiffness and track ability. May wait till the 370 comes out but think it will still be a unibody so although it may be a stiff platform, it will still not keep up with the coupe on severe twisties or on the track. With the lighter weight and more power, the 370 pulled me back to thinking about the Z. Oh well....
I appreciate your help in the suspension question.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:30 PM
gregom

Honestly my roadster performs just as well on track/autocross as hardtop 350Z's... i'm sure there is a difference but its so small I can't really tell 99% of the time. If anything the roadster might be stiffer, but I dunno.

Really it depends on what you want in a car... if handling is a really big deal to you, get a Boxter... but I personally don't like them because they are ugly, and mid-engined so its really hard to work on the engine yourself, you have to take it to a authorized Porsche mechanic. Granted things don't go wrong on them much, but when they do its really spendy. I won't be waiting for the 370Z though I don't like how it looks really...

If you are like me and like raw power and torque the most... handling and comfort is second... so I'd get the Vette or the Z. The Vette is faster and more fun in a straight line, and in the twisties... but the Z is cheaper, better quality, more reliable and better looking I think. But the Vette is also very good in terms of handling, looks good too... The quality and reliability is not so good though.

The S2000 and MX-5 are both great cars but the 4 cyl is just too weak down low I think. The S2000 though does have more torque than you'd expect from it, mainly because there is no turbo to wait for. Try driving a Saturn Sky Redline with the turbo... if you don't launch off the line its just sluggish as hell into you get into that turbo. But the only reason I would get the Sky is the looks.... best looking Roadster in the world I think, aside from the Alfa Romeo 8C Competitzione Spyder... but honestly who can afford that?

Other considerations also could be the Merc SLK...

What do you really want in a car? I've driven all these cars (except the alfa) so maybe I can provide more insight.

For me the perfect car would be one that looks like the Sky, handles like the Boxster, goes like the Vette, and had the convenience, reliability, and interior of the Z. That's just me though... everyone has different preferences.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Old Chuck

Default Gregom

Thanks for the insight. I had been torn between the Porsche Boxster and the Vette. I do like the looks of the Boxster (987) as it is subjective. I love the torque of the vette and the old muscle car pull. The vette has good handling but not the feel at its limits as the Boxster. The feel of the Boxster is better to me then the 911. The Boxster is not that bad to work on just a different and slower approach. However, dealer calls are expensive! The dealer experience is the best I have seen and their work is usually very good. That can't be said for the vette. With dealer service, the quality is hit and miss and you may get a 19 year old mechanic who just worked on an Aveo. However, the cost to maintain is much cheaper then the P car. The fit and finish of the vette is not up to the level of the P. The interior is below that of a car in the 50's but the power is addicting. Both cars have issues but it seems like Porsche works harder to correct them from the dealer stand point. Both cars could be expensive out of warranty and the five year on the P is necessary for my ownership. I wanted a car that would handle extremely well and do 0-60 in five or less. When I read the news releases on the new 370, it got me thinking about the Z again. I would have to see it up close to get an idea of how I like it. The lighter weight and more power attracted me back to the Z. I always felt that the Z was a bit heavy for the power. I appreciate your insights and thoughts. If I could get what I want and save a bunch then life would be better........
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 AM
gregom

I know what you mean about the Boxster... on the limit it just feels so good, so perfect, so in tune. You just understand how the car handles because it does it so naturally, gives you a lot of confidence. All these other cars claim near 50/50 weight balance but it doesn't really matter when half is up front and half is in back... in everey corner the weight is transferring all around the chassis, not just the middle... but the Boxster just feels solid in all corners, its just so predictable you feel like you are one with the machine. Probably the reason a lot of Porsche Boxster drivers get called Cocksters because some of them act quite cocky even just driving in a straight line.

As for the dealer service... I dunno... it wont break down much so you wont have to worry about it and deal with it as much, but when something does go wrong it will be great to have that level of satisfaction in service. Things are likely to go wrong with the Vette from time-to-time depending on how well built the car was that day.

Really as we can all agree its what you want in a car, what you'll be doing with the car. Will you be able to take it to track days to fully experience the handling? How often do you do this or go do runs up a mountain road (do you have these in Florida or SC?) Will it be a daily driver or a weekend warrior?

For a DD I just couldn't deal with the lack of torque or the ugly looks of a lot of cars. The Boxster isn't for me because I just couldn't deal with the looks and not being able to really work on it myself. But these may not even be a factor for you... and as you said, you like the looks of it so thats completely out anyway. I chose the Z because its just such a good all-rounder when I can't afford both. It's just awesome at everything but its quite competent at everything fairly even across the board. Most other cars have pitfalls in some areas and then do exteremly well in other areas.

I'd really base it on what you want from the vehicle and how you'll want to use it, and how it will be living with the car every day for years and years. And don't do the same mistake I did and settle on a automatic... really wish I had just waited a few months (already waited a year for a ZR anyway, whats a few more months) and found myself a manual. Now i'm stuck upside down in the car because of how the dealer claims is the fault of our economy.

Good luck man... its always a hard decision when money is a factor. If it wasn't you'd just buy them all and be done with it, lol.

Last edited by gregom; 08-03-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven most of the cars here mentioned and between my family at the present we own the the Z coupe, ZR and Sky Redline. You will have to be avery good driver to come aywhere near the limits of the ZR. I have simple mods like the Nismo strut/Spring combo and Hotchkis swaybars and the car is plenty stiff and you will most likely make a mistake long before the car falls short.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Old Chuck

Default Thanks for all the answers

As you said, it is what I want. I do have mountains not far away from Upstate SC and love the twisties. I will always drive a stick if I am able and although it can be a garage queen, I want something that can be a daily driver. I would go with the vette if quality and dealer competence was not an issue. Love the torque and pull all the way up and great milage if you keep your foot out of it however, that does take some of the fun away.
Am closing on some property in several months so in no hurry. May choose to wait till the 370 comes out and see how much weight they have shed and what they look and handle like. As I said, I am in no hurry. Interesting coming back to the Z as I thought it was out of the running comparing it to the others. However, if I can get a great car that will meet my needs for twenty less then life is good. I know it may be unfair to compare the Z to some of the others but need to decide how I will use it. Perhaps, it will work...
Old 08-03-2008, 08:54 PM
gregom

Well you've got plenty of time to test drive some, lol... Good luck in your search, let us know what you decide as i'm curious.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 PM
coreapoc

Women drive Boxsters. That single exhaust is begging for an in the closet frat boy trouser train. Dont be that guy.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM
gregom

Women drive 350Z Roadsters too... and honestly i've never seen a woman driving a Porsche. It doesn't really matter anymore, i've seenwomen driving big *** trucks so the world doesn't make sense anymore. Just drive whatever the hell you want, lol.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 PM
SupaDoopa

A Boxter? Yucky.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:53 PM
gregom

lol... I agree I don't like them either, but if you drive one on a twisty road, you very quickly know why people love them so much. They just handle so damn well you feel like your the best driver in the world!

If I were to ever buy one though the licence plate will say COXTER.