Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

What are those 2 metal bulges that pops out inside of the top compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:37 PM
AreYouAMac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are those 2 metal bulges that pops out inside of the top compartment?

Are those 2 metal bulges that sticks out inside of the compartment where the soft top is stowed, to lock in the top cover (the tonneau), so when you drive the cover doesn't flop open?

If so, then how does the top cover lock when you drive with the top down since the soft top creates a barrier from the cover and the 2 metal bulges?

Or is it for support?

Thanks

I wrote "pops out" in the thread title. I meant "sticks out"
Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM
dsmZ

pics...
Old 12-07-2008, 05:42 PM
AreYouAMac

Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 AM
stud_daddy

Sorry to hijack your thread.....but what I wanna know is what improvement did you notice after installing Dynamat there?
I'm eager to waste some money on Dynamat ..... and you just showed me a new place to Dynamat. Have to obviously remove the storage cover first in order to install Dynamat there.....was it a difficult operation to Dynamat there?

As far as the two things that stick out......I have no clue.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 AM
AreYouAMac

I installed the Dynamat there because I installed a new exhaust system on the car. There was a little difference, but not that much.

If I were to re-do it, I would have placed the Dynamat inside the cabin on the floor beneath the carpet since that is where the piping is located.

I think placing the Dynamat inside the cabin on the floor would make the car more quieter than where I placed it. But all in all, I would not recommend you placing the Dynamat inside of the soft-top compartment. If you remove the storage cover first, you can see that there are 2 holes right behind the driver and passenger seats, where the inside compartments behind the driver and passenger seats are. You can cover those both up if you would like...but not the whole thing like I did.

If anything, I want to take out the Dynamat from the soft-top compartment and replace them into the inside cabin underneath the carpet.

But then again, it is a convertible, so there would still be noise that you can't stop form coming in.

So yea, inside the cabin underneath the carpet is where I would recommend placing the Dynamat

Installing Dynamat is easy, but just watch out with the edges and sides, the metal WILL cut you. I had a lot of cuts due to the metal slicing my finger tips.

Last edited by AreYouAMac; 12-08-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 AM
stud_daddy

Originally Posted by AreYouAMac
I installed the Dynamat there because I installed a new exhaust system on the car. There was a little difference, but not that much.

If I were to re-do it, I would have placed the Dynamat inside the cabin on the floor beneath the carpet since that is where the piping is located.

I think placing the Dynamat inside the cabin on the floor would make the car more quieter than where I placed it. But all in all, I would not recommend you placing the Dynamat inside of the soft-top compartment. If you remove the storage cover first, you can see that there are 2 holes right behind the driver and passenger seats, where the inside compartments behind the driver and passenger seats are. You can cover those both up if you would like...but not the whole thing like I did.

If anything, I want to take out the Dynamat from the soft-top compartment and replace them into the inside cabin underneath the carpet.

But then again, it is a convertible, so there would still be noise that you can't stop form coming in.

So yea, inside the cabin underneath the carpet is where I would recommend placing the Dynamat
Hey many thanks for your advise. Appreciate it.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 PM
ZR_Yancy

Looks like they are supports for when the top is stowed away in the compartment. The top is not meant to go all the way down to the floor.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR_Yancy
Looks like they are supports for when the top is stowed away in the compartment. The top is not meant to go all the way down to the floor.
yepper.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:55 PM
AreYouAMac

Yep. Just to confirm.

They are there to prevent the top from going all the way down. If it did, then it would create too much strain on the parts to bring the top back up.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
G-Man.uas

How tall are they? Don't fancy heading out in the snow to check mine right now, but might you be able to stow a few small things there? Gonna have to pack like a demon when me and the missis do our road trip next summer.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:02 AM
AreYouAMac

It's less than 7 inches high for sure.

Stretch out your hand... I believe its the length from your pinky to your thumb.