Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

This a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 AM
shinobi89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This a good deal?

Looking at a 2006 Roadster Touring, Pikes Peak White, gray interior, manual, 22,000 miles for just under $22,000. I'd be putting around 5k down.

Anything I should be aware of when checking the car out? I know about the oil consumption issue, would that be something the dealer should have already taken care of? It seems like a great buy, and it's the color combo I've been looking for. Any advice would help. Thanks guys!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 AM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the carfax.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 AM
shinobi89

Carfax looks clean. Just says it was serviced a hundred miles ago. Was a one owner lease.

Last edited by shinobi89; 12-13-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:02 PM
G Z

I got the same color set up in an '07. Sounds like a good deal. It's always a good idea to have it inspected by someone other than the dealer before you buy.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:23 PM
shinobi89

Car had been at the dealership for a month already. I called the guy to let him know I was on my way, and he said he'll have the car ready for me to drive. I get there and he doesn't know where the car is. I told him I saw it on a lift in the back and some older dude was looking it over. The sales guy said, "Ya, I knew you were coming but this guy just showed up out of nowhere." How convenient.

So he drove it, then they come back. Sales guy says, "I think he wants the car. My boss just told me that first one with the paperwork gets it so you should make a decision now."

First off, I'm not stupid. I'm not going to be pressured into a sale. These guys try and pull this crap all the time. I remember a similar tactic they used on me five years ago when I was looking at an Altima.

So I test drove it. For one, it had a blue top which I can't stand. Had I known that I wouldn't have even bothered. Not that big of a deal, since I can just buy a black top later. Car drove fine, shifted well. Clutch caught near the top, and I'm used to it catching a bit lower, but that's probably just me being out of practice with a stick.

Dealer wouldn't haggle on the price. At all. I said "I can do 20k right now and you'll have a sale." He said, "No, people have all tried to ask for it at that price and we say no." Well, that's why you've had the car sitting in your lot for a month, dude. So I told him, I'll just wait and he walked away. No goodbye, or shaking my hand. F 'em.

After that I walked. I'm too patient to be pressured into a sale. "First one gets it." Do people actually fall for that?
Old 12-13-2008, 02:32 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shinobi89
I know about the oil consumption issue, would that be something the dealer should have already taken care of?
Not necessarily. They wouldn't have done a test unless the lessee asked for it.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:39 PM
shinobi89

Eh. Kind of glad I waited. There was a big chip in the front fender too. "OOh, we can fix that." Why not do that BEFORE hand.

And when we were walking to the car I said, "Is that a blue top?" And he said, "Yes. But it looks just like the black top."

Nooo...actually, it looks like the blue top. lol
Old 12-13-2008, 05:55 PM
CaliBoy

dude they should be kissing ur *** to buy that car, dealers are hungry now! Me and my friend went to ford to buy a F150 last week which was $36,000 and got it for $22,000 brand spankin new car!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:33 PM
shinobi89

They should have been, but they could care less. Which is probably why they still have it on their lot after a month.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:35 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliBoy
dude they should be kissing ur *** to buy that car, dealers are hungry now! Me and my friend went to ford to buy a F150 last week which was $36,000 and got it for $22,000 brand spankin new car!
should have been buy one get one free.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Master Shake

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by surfcity40
Not necessarily. They wouldn't have done a test unless the lessee asked for it.
+1!

I personally don't even believe they really do anything whey they call used cars "certified!" -- other than perhaps honor the warranty with a little less hassle.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:05 PM
shinobi89

What about $18,500 for a 2005 roadster touring, but it has 56,000 miles? The mileage is a turn off for me. I may just bite the monthly payment bullet and get a white 370z.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:20 AM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looking at a 2006 Roadster Touring, Pikes Peak White, gray interior, manual, 22,000 miles for just under $22,000. I'd be putting around 5k down.

Anything I should be aware of when checking the car out? I know about the oil consumption issue, would that be something the dealer should have already taken care of? It seems like a great buy, and it's the color combo I've been looking for. Any advice would help. Thanks guys!
Good deal i paid 24k for an '05 about 8 months ago with 40k. Seems like Z prices have come down slightly since than.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:33 AM
steven350

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

is the car still under warranty?
Old 12-25-2008, 06:06 PM
shinobi89

Originally Posted by steven350
is the car still under warranty?
No warranty that I'm aware of, although you can buy one of their "extended" warranties.

Just wondering if 56k miles is just a tad bit too much. Think I'll keep looking. I'm getting very, very impatient, but if I want a Z I'll be happy with (I know. You can happy with any Z) I can wait.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car had been at the dealership for a month already. I called the guy to let him know I was on my way, and he said he'll have the car ready for me to drive. I get there and he doesn't know where the car is. I told him I saw it on a lift in the back and some older dude was looking it over. The sales guy said, "Ya, I knew you were coming but this guy just showed up out of nowhere." How convenient.

So he drove it, then they come back. Sales guy says, "I think he wants the car. My boss just told me that first one with the paperwork gets it so you should make a decision now."

First off, I'm not stupid. I'm not going to be pressured into a sale. These guys try and pull this crap all the time. I remember a similar tactic they used on me five years ago when I was looking at an Altima.

So I test drove it. For one, it had a blue top which I can't stand. Had I known that I wouldn't have even bothered. Not that big of a deal, since I can just buy a black top later. Car drove fine, shifted well. Clutch caught near the top, and I'm used to it catching a bit lower, but that's probably just me being out of practice with a stick.

Dealer wouldn't haggle on the price. At all. I said "I can do 20k right now and you'll have a sale." He said, "No, people have all tried to ask for it at that price and we say no." Well, that's why you've had the car sitting in your lot for a month, dude. So I told him, I'll just wait and he walked away. No goodbye, or shaking my hand. F 'em.

After that I walked. I'm too patient to be pressured into a sale. "First one gets it." Do people actually fall for that?
That, right there my friend, would be the end of the deal. That sales person had no professionalism or what so ever, and I bet you he sucks at selling cars. With our existing economy, he should be kissing your rear end and gave you the car keys right there with your 20k offer. I'm glad you walked away, and you did not purchase from that sales man. He does not deserve it or what so ever. Whats the dealership's and the sale's person's name? Let us know just to make sure we don't buy cars from the dealership.