Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Fuel Cap Release Button

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:13 PM
dodi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Cap Release Button

I hope this doesn't sound like a really stupid question but here goes anyway.......I was out enjoying my 2005 Roadster today (bought in December and only just recently insured) I had gassed up in Dec and put the car away for the winter. Today was the first time I had to gas up and I'm not sure why the release button wasn't working and the filler door wasn't opening. I proceeded to press a little firmer while the attendant felt around for a release point of some sort . The fuel filler door finally opened with the attendant's help but while I was pressing the button it just collapsed into the dash....no more button ? Sounds like a pretty flimsy set up to me. The filler door was sticking for whatever reason...lack of use , cold temperatures etc......What is my next step besides the obvious and have the stealer look at it. Is it an easy fix? I can feel the button and some taped up electrical connector through my newly formed hole. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:50 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Happened to me back in '03 the very first time I filled my new 350. Had the dealer fix it when I took it in for the first oil change. happened again a couple years later, and again a couple months ago. You are right, crappy set-up. You have to remove the OBDII plug to get it back in and it is a total PITA, which is why I am waiting for some warmer weather to get at it. Disconnect the plug and push it back in from behind the dash, back to front, until it clicks in. I have not seen any other posts about this so you and I must just have bad luck!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 AM
Parker01

Or you guys are just meat heads!

Haha just kidding of course! But I can see it happening when you're frustrated that your gas cap won't release, but keep in mind it is just a button it isn't going to make a difference how hard you press it (be gentle).

I just bought my Z just over a month ago and filled up a couple times before storing it away, my pin would stick after I opened the gas cap. So I would be driving around with the gas door open :'( (my ego!). The best thing to do to prevent this is put some light lube in there that won't freeze. WD-40 will actually work well, just put a small amoun and work the pin back and forth and it should stay lubed up for some time. Otherwise some teflon lub or even slicone lube would probably work, grease will be too heavy and cause it to stick even more.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, when the dealer fixed mine the first time, they noted on the work order - "Tell customer it only takes a light touch". Like DUH! I realize it is an electrical switch, not mechanical, and I did not push hard at all. And not only that, the bonehead service tech never remounted the OBDII plug that he had to remove. Found that out 2 years later when I needed to scan a code and found it tucked under the dash. One of many reason that the dealer does not touch my car - only twice for warranty issues. As far as the cap not releasing, I figured out the the door was not aligned properly - loosened the screw and got it straightened around, and ever since it releases on the first light touch. But that switch never does click tightly all the way into place. Very irritating!!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:23 PM
ohw

The problem with fuel door not opening was more common back in 03/04. I don't recall seeing anybody actually posted a solution. Just hit the button (gently) a few more times.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:29 PM
03aeroZ

Some times the little cord that holds the cap gets caught on something and won't let it open. Has happened to me twice. As for the button, just press it back in from the back. Again, has happened to me a couple of times and just snaps right back in.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:56 PM
dodi

Default Re Gas Cap

Thanks for all the info....I was able to fiddle with the switch and get it to snap back into place...All is well for now...I did grease the filler cap hinge, maybe should of used wd 40....
Old 03-15-2009, 08:03 AM
E.F. VaBeach

Default TSB

Hey guys, it's a documented problem;

TSB Number:04059
NHTSA Number:10007902 TSB Date:May 13, 2004
Failing Component: Fuel System, Gasoline
Summary: Fuel filler lid does not open on first push of release button.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Venom8.1

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-fuel-lid.html