350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

PLEASE HELP ! What was suppose to be a simple fix, might cost fortune

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012 | 08:02 PM
chefssaltyballs

Default PLEASE HELP ! What was suppose to be a simple fix, might cost fortune

MY roadster top question: 2005 roadster
issue: latch mechanism doesnt close
has anyone found a cheaper solution when purchasing the latch mechanism?
(the front latch that latches down the top to the roof)
part number 97080ce40a
courtesy parts wants $750
nissan.cc whats about $650
its crazy ! its just a latch and some gears attached to a few hooks.. anyone found a less costly solution for fixing this issue???
PLEASE PLEASE HELP ????? PART LISTED IN LINK BELOW

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts...080-ce40a.html
Old 05-23-2012 | 09:19 PM
R350Zz33

yea its called a coupe they also look good all the time
Old 05-23-2012 | 10:14 PM
juanl1999

Originally Posted by chefssaltyballs
MY roadster top question: 2005 roadster
issue: latch mechanism doesnt close
has anyone found a cheaper solution when purchasing the latch mechanism?
(the front latch that latches down the top to the roof)
part number 97080ce40a
courtesy parts wants $750
nissan.cc whats about $650
its crazy ! its just a latch and some gears attached to a few hooks.. anyone found a less costly solution for fixing this issue???
PLEASE PLEASE HELP ????? PART LISTED IN LINK BELOW

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts...080-ce40a.html
Never heard of the latch breaking. You're talking about the gray latch that secures the top to windshield frame? I've seen the latch on my car before, you're right it's not very complicated. I'm assuming what ever is wrong with it you can take it apart and fix it. Is it possible its just jammed with something? I wish I could be of more help but I've never heard of this happening. Junk yard would be your cheaper route.
Old 05-24-2012 | 06:56 AM
myork

I think Phreakdout had posted a while back he bought a complete top assembly used for $500.

I would check car-part.com and Nissan Unlimited and see what you can find.
Old 05-24-2012 | 07:49 PM
chefssaltyballs

Originally Posted by juanl1999
Never heard of the latch breaking. You're talking about the gray latch that secures the top to windshield frame? I've seen the latch on my car before, you're right it's not very complicated. I'm assuming what ever is wrong with it you can take it apart and fix it. Is it possible its just jammed with something? I wish I could be of more help but I've never heard of this happening. Junk yard would be your cheaper route.
No the latch itself is fine, its the gears that the latch controls... theres a few posts on here about them breaking but havent found any DIY solutions, like a gear replacement.
there are four small plastic gears, the center gear has lost teeth. the rest of the mechanism is fine. Dont want to spend $800 to replace a 1 1/2" gear. Has anyone done this?
Old 05-24-2012 | 07:50 PM
chefssaltyballs

Originally Posted by myork
I think Phreakdout had posted a while back he bought a complete top assembly used for $500.

I would check car-part.com and Nissan Unlimited and see what you can find.
thanks man, will definitely take a look
Old 05-29-2012 | 02:17 PM
juanl1999

Originally Posted by chefssaltyballs
No the latch itself is fine, its the gears that the latch controls... theres a few posts on here about them breaking but havent found any DIY solutions, like a gear replacement.
there are four small plastic gears, the center gear has lost teeth. the rest of the mechanism is fine. Dont want to spend $800 to replace a 1 1/2" gear. Has anyone done this?
Oh if it's plastic gears that you can take apart I suppose you can buys those gears online. I'm sure it's a special plastic so it's strong but looks at buying gears then. Gears are fairly common things so I'm sure you can find them. Just measure and count how many teeth are in the gears. Wouldn't hurt to try if the part itself is so much money. Good luck man.
Old 05-29-2012 | 06:01 PM
shranda

Oh if it's plastic gears that you can take apart I suppose you can buys those gears online. I'm sure it's a special plastic so it's strong but looks at buying gears then. Gears are fairly common things so I'm sure you can find them. Just measure and count how many teeth are in the gears. Wouldn't hurt to try if the part itself is so much money. Good luck man.
I'm having the same problem,I decided to try something I went to Home Depot and got a thin Grinding wheel and will try and grind next to where the teeth were at hoping to make new teeth,can't hurt will see what happens
Old 05-30-2012 | 07:07 PM
shranda

i used the grinding wheels and it seems this may have just saved me 800.00,everything seems pretty tight
Old 05-31-2012 | 06:21 AM
juanl1999

Originally Posted by shranda
i used the grinding wheels and it seems this may have just saved me 800.00,everything seems pretty tight
Awesome man. Take pictures so people know what you're referencing to. I kind of remember and have an idea of what it looks like but I always forget to take pics. You could save other people a ton of money.
Old 05-31-2012 | 03:37 PM
shranda

Awesome man. Take pictures so people know what you're referencing to. I kind of remember and have an idea of what it looks like but I always forget to take pics. You could save other people a ton of money.
I already put it back together,but all I have to do is make sure I take the part with I to Home Depot so I can get the correct size wheel that fits between the Grooves.Because you are only making indentations between3-5 grooves where they are Worn