Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

I've got a few questions regarding my top (lubing, reconditioning, holes)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:41 AM
NewOrleans350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got a few questions regarding my top (lubing, reconditioning, holes)

My top is now 3-4 years old and showing signs of wear:

1) There are 4 holes developing; 2 on each side, mirror images of each other. One where the screw plate on the cross bar comes in contact with the top, and two a little bit further ahead above the panel. Is there any remedy I can use to try to seal these up? Maybe some sort of silicone spray or glue type material?

2) I'm having trouble with the top fully retracting. I'd like to lube up all the moving parts. Is it just the roller parts in the inside of the car, or am I looking for some other parts? Also, what can I use to lube these parts?

3) any type of reconditioning material I can sue on the outside to clean the top and maybe get it some protection in the future?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Gunsmoke

The retracting issue may be the elastic bands, this is a common issue, its been discussed, as far as repairing the holes and upholstery shop should be able to place a patch in that area for a temporary fix.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 AM
LBZ350

Originally Posted by Gunsmoke
The retracting issue may be the elastic bands, this is a common issue, its been discussed, as far as repairing the holes and upholstery shop should be able to place a patch in that area for a temporary fix.
spend the money $1700 cloth top St Pete FL.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoulda got a hard top. The only problem I have with my hard top is, well, I don't have any problems with my hard top. It also looks better.

Trololololol.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 AM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the issues you described are a result of the elastic bands loosing elasticity.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 AM
SHILOW

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
Shoulda got a hard top. The only problem I have with my hard top is, well, I don't have any problems with my hard top. It also looks better.

Trololololol.
It is alot more exspensive to turn a coupe into a convertible than to replace the rag top. I spend more time looking out of my car from the drivers seat than I do standing on the outside looking at it. The world looks alot better from the seat of a roadster. There is one major flaw with the hard top Z. You can not drop the top
Old 10-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SHILOW
It is alot more exspensive to turn a coupe into a convertible than to replace the rag top. I spend more time looking out of my car from the drivers seat than I do standing on the outside looking at it. The world looks alot better from the seat of a roadster. There is one major flaw with the hard top Z. You can not drop the top
I bought the hardtop because it was the best-looking version of the car. I didn't want an accordian/pringles-looking roof top. Nor did I want additional weight, less structural regidity, more machinery that could have problems, and fabric that is less sturdy. We hardtop owners specifically got hardtops instead of soft tops for a reason.

We're sports car drivers. We're not supposed to be looking up into the clouds; we're supposed to be looking forward on the road (or track).
Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 AM
SHILOW

I bought the hardtop because it was the best-looking version of the car. I didn't want an accordian/pringles-looking roof top. Nor did I want additional weight, less structural regidity, more machinery that could have problems, and fabric that is less sturdy. We hardtop owners specifically got hardtops instead of soft tops for a reason.

We're sports car drivers. We're not supposed to be looking up into the clouds; we're supposed to be looking forward on the road (or track).
I completely understand why you purchased a hardtop. If you are concerned only with performance then a hardtop is almost always the better choice in a sports car. This is a roadster thread. I drove a 94' Miata for 4 yrs. before I moved to the ZR and most people do not understand why a Miata is such a great car. I love the hard top 350 but I personally would never buy a 2seater hard top. There is a feel that I have when I drive a roadster with the top down that I do not I have driving the hardtop. If you do not have that same feeling then it is pointless for me to explain it to you. I think the people posting in the roadster forum probably know the feeling I am referring to. Maybe it is the sky, buildings, and wind moving all around you. Like the ground moving beneath a motorcycle minus the fear of the ground comming up to bite you.

Out of the convertibles in this price range which would you choose.

350ZR
S2000
Miata
BMW Z4/Z3
Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Cavallino

Lol, that is YOUR opinion sir. Now, MY opinion is that the hardtop is quite ugly, and the roadster is awesome. If I were to buy a hardtop coupe sports car, it wouldn't be a 350z. On the other hand, if I were to buy a convertible, it would be a 350z Roadster... and that's what I did.

Why must people troll in the Roadster forum just to "brag" about how much better their hardtops are??? Lololol, get a life.

Before this car I had 4 hardtop coupe M3's. "Sportscars". My GIRLFRIEND begged me to get a convertible, and the 350z was the only one I considered.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
red roadster

Before I had my ZR I had a Harley I love being in the wind but it got to were it made my but hurt. To each his or her own I like my roadster! Had one other drop top quite awhile back a 34 ford 350 chevy daul quads 390 gears oh yes it was a auto. lol
op: there are several good threads on here addressing the bands and lubing the top. Alot of good info from good posters, just watch out for the hard a**es or should I say tops.