Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

VDC - Coupe vs Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 06:09 AM
Whataguy5431

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC - Coupe vs Roadster

I noticed there are several Zsters out there that have owned both the coupe and the Roadster. Can you tell me about the difference in handling difference in the Roadster that doesn't have the VDC? Any idea why they didn't put that on the Roadster? Thanks guys.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:45 AM
vancitydude

Default Re: VDC - Coupe vs Roadster

Originally posted by Whataguy5431
I noticed there are several Zsters out there that have owned both the coupe and the Roadster. Can you tell me about the difference in handling difference in the Roadster that doesn't have the VDC? Any idea why they didn't put that on the Roadster? Thanks guys.
vdc incorporates both the throttel kill and brakes (to individual wheels), while the tcs is only a throttle control system... vdc is a far more advanced technology and costs far more to produce... to install this on the roadster would mean a higher sticker price which would reduce the competitve balance with cars like the audi tt...

unless you drive the car like a ****ing maniac, you won't notice the difference... imho, the roadster is one of the classiest cars ont he road and attracts enough attention as it is... attracting more attention by driving like a clown defeats the purpose of the car, and only paints the rest of us with the wrong brush :-)
Old 01-16-2004, 08:57 AM
SeanG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with Vancitydude. The VDC was nice on my old coupe though. There is a bridge right where I turn out of my subdivision. When the road gets cold or is wet with my old coupe everything was fine. When I do it with my roadster the butt end slides around everytime, at any speed. The VDC eliminated this problem. It is a nice feature, I was bummed that the roadster did not come with it. It didn't stop me from buying one.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:58 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VDC

I wished VDC was an option on my Roadster. Not so much for dry roads, but in the rain or snow it would be worth having.

Oh well. I still love my roadster.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:26 PM
NAPZ

I'm totally bummed that my Roadster doesn't have the VDC could have been very useful considering it my everyday car and had to drive it through this terrible weather in the NE. Still love my car though
Old 01-17-2004, 05:13 AM
Richardew

In the coupes, the performance model adds VDC and 18" wheels w/TPMS. The difference in cost is $2180. The 18" wheel option is $1200, so the VDC adds $980. I wish it had been an option.
rich
'04 350ZR SS/BO w/18's, NAV, arrival in 27 days
Old 01-31-2004, 08:10 PM
gmartan

I just got my roadster three days ago and had the back end slide out unexpectedly twice now in the rain. It happens, for example, when you make a left hand turn and step on the gas slightly at the end of the arc. VDC should not be an option. My sales guy said it only comes on automatics but I think that's bogus.

I also think the tires are crap. They are slippery and noisy and get worse as they wear. I had Bridgestone PP 03s on my previous car which really stuck to wet pavement and had a plush, quiet ride. I am thinking of doing that sooner than later. Has anyone done this swap on theirs?
Old 02-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Richardew

gmartin
I did a quick search and comparison on tirerack.com. 5 tires came up for the 350ZR. Tthe RE040's finished last in every category. The best wet traction were the pole position S03's. I ran them for a while on my '96 911 C4 Cab. I bought them because of their superior wet handling characteristics, and guess what. I was driving in the rain one day, not even pushing it. I spun out and crashed. I'm getting my 350 ZR in the next 1-2 weeks. What I read about the RE040's scares me. At least they wear out faster than the other tires so I won't have them too long. I see you're in Richmond. I'm an hour south of Richmond, on Lake Gaston. There is a 6 mile stretch of I85 here that's great for top speed runs. Trees in the median & no crossover = no radar Early Sat and Sun mornings it is empty. There is however a state police camero SS in the county that can outrun the Z.
rich
'03 FX 45 w/tech, Black/Brick
'96 911 C4 Cab, Iris Blue/Marble/Marble
'04 350ZR touring, MT w/18's & NAV due in 1-2 weeks
Old 02-02-2004, 08:31 PM
gmartan

Rich, I'm just outside of Vancouver BC where it rains a lot. Turns out in Canada we only get four choices. Performance Coupe, Track Model, Touring Coupe and Touring Roadster. If it says Touring there is no VDC. I drive it to work daily so I have to be really careful in the wet. At least it rarely snows here.

I'd like to hear from someone that replaced the RE040 tires and got less road noise as well as better traction.

Ger
Old 02-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Richardew

gmartan, I thought you were from Richmond, VA. I'm not an hour south of you, but about 50 hours to the East. I was wondering how you were having trouble in the rain recently as it hasn't rained here recently but has snowed. From what I have read, I won't stick with the RE040's. They almost seem dangerous. I think that they'll be safe to break the car in with though as I won't be pushing it as much. Hmm now I can rationalize buying 19" rims and tires.
rich