Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Standard hard times

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 AM
flynzed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard hard times

I recently had my ZR aligned, second time in two months due to the need to replace the right rear lateral link and now I'm being told I need a clutch. I know the clutch was a bit rough so I ordered the RJM R3. clutch pedal assembly which it now looks like I will be returning. I think I am about done with manual transmissions. I have driven cars with manual trannys on and off for the past 46 years and it may be time form me to embrase paddle shifters. Anyone else feeling this way?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

A clutch is a mechanical piece - it will wear out.

That's like saying "I'm done with brakes because the brake-pads eventually wear out."
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM
flynzed

Unlike brakes there is another option to manual transmissions w/cluthes. With that said I still enjoy rowing my own.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as I bought my manual Roadster I immediately traded my stick shift daily driver for an auto. After 20 years I'm just sick of it since I've mellowed out a bit. I love my 350 6 speed and my motorcycle but the times are changing and I'm done proving to myself how well I can shift. Driving my friends 2011 Mitsu EVO auto paddle shift double clutch whatever you call it I realized that a stick is no longer mandatory. I will always own one manual car but not my daily driver. My 350z gets about 1500 miles a year so I do enjoy shifting on the rare occasion I get to drive it.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 PM
DanQ

Received 227 Likes on 171 Posts

Very interesting.

When I was shopping for my Z I only considered the 6 speed as a viable option. I drove a nicely equipped Touring model, and was slightly underwhelmed with the shift pattern. It was fun to drive, but felt as it would be some work to get used to, and between the slave cylinder issues and normal wear and tear, I started looking at the 5 speeds.

Well... bought a Grand Touring that I kept avoiding because of the 5 speed, and overall couldn't be happier.

I have several motorcycles, so I get my fill of shifting. And my race bike is GP shift (about to install a quick shifter so I can clutchless upshift at full throttle), so I get diversity with it as well.

I'm glad I decided on an auto for my 350Z. I'm still hunting for a solution I can do for line pressure/shift pressure-quickness, but I'm sure I'll find something I like for the life of my ownership of this car.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:02 AM
flynzed

I will be keeping the 350 ZR for at least 2 more years, at that time I'm going to be looking to replace it with a 370 ZR with an auto tranny. I always felt a real sports car had a manual trans, however time and the newer auto trannys have softened that view.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of old guys in this thread.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Slyguy_38

I agree kacz07...
Old 07-13-2013, 02:41 PM
DanQ

Received 227 Likes on 171 Posts

Thank you gentlemen for noticing. I'm proud of the accomplishment of getting old. It hasn't been easy, and it could have stopped multiple times over the years, but I have become old. I hope the same degree of success for you.

I can drive stick, and normally my cars are stick. I prefer for this one not to be. If that is a product of my getting older, so be it. I still have to shift the motorcycles, so I'm not missing much.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 PM
flynzed

Originally Posted by kacz07
Sounds like a bunch of old guys in this thread.
A funny thing happens on the way through life, the years just keep rolling by. Still, I don't see myself as old just wiser and more experienced. Also I no longer concern myself what others think, not that it was ever a priority. Regarding manual trannys and the autos with paddle shifters, I see each offering a different type of driver interaction. Actually it much more likely you young guys will be dealing with auto trannys with paddle shifters then I as the vehicles with manual trannys get phased out.