350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Roadster Top/Interior Combination Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:55 AM
kbc749

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadster Top/Interior Combination Question

Hello from Lincoln, NE

This is my first post. My name is Konrad and I will be purchasing a 350 in the spring/summer of next year (2015). I have been researching all the differences between the years of Z's and I have tracked down a brochure from 2006 and a text description of 2004 and 2007 brochures posted online.

My dream combination is a "Redline (AX6)" colored roadster, aka red. With "frost" interior. Aka white leather seats.

But while examining brochure from 2006 I found that the 2006 roadsters cannot get frost interior, only the coupes. In 2006 the frost interior was only offered in silver; white; and some other color, all coming with a blue top as opposed to black.

I have seen a 2007 with frost interior and red exterior. Was it only the 2007-2009 roadsters that have this option? Or was 2006 and odd duck year? I can always go out and buy the brochures for 2007+ and just look but I've searched several forums for digital copies or exact details to no avail.

Thank you for any info you can provide

Konrad Christen

Ps yes I used the search button to check for the answer first.

Last edited by kbc749; 09-03-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Typed a word in the wrong tense
Old 09-03-2014, 12:12 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

hmmm, spring is over and summer pretty much too... you are behind schedule.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Try cleaning white leather. Get black seats.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:10 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Konrad, welcome to the forum. Something else for you to consider if your favorite color is the AX6 red, is color fade. Red is notorious and probably the worst colors for fading and spotting if left out in the sun for any periods of time. When you start to seriously look for a car try to find out if the car was regularly garaged or at least under some kind of cover as there is no real way of repairing this save for a respray. I've experienced this myself before and as much as i like red cars will no longer buy another due to this reason. Sorry this doesn't help with your interior scheme but something else to consider when you are in a position to buy.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:52 PM
kbc749

Thank you Sam, I have not come across that piece of information in my research yet. I currently own a 2005 Nissan Frontier in Red and it has not faded at all. I assumed the two reds were quite similar because i have parked my next to other red Z's and they seemed quite similar, save that the body panels are made out of different material. But the paint code's are different so they must be quite different in composition. My top three colors are Pikes Peak White, Redline, and Black (super black or magnetic). My goal when finding a Z is to find one that hasn't been wrecked or abused.

Can the fade be protected against or is it just a fact of life? ( aside from not parking for extended periods of time)
Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Konrad, in short, yes the paint can be protected primarily by keeping it out of the sun and by making sure it always has a good wax applied to it. It's usually cars that have been left out in the sun for extended periods of time that suffer along with not caring for the paint. There is something in the pigment of the color red that makes it susceptible to paint fade if the owner leaves it outside without any form of cover from the hot sun. If the paint has been cared for over the years then there should be no problem. As much as i love black , its notoriously difficult to keep clean and smear free unless you have some skill in detailing, and good quality drying towels go a long way in preventing the smears say if you used a chamois (its straight to hell if you still use one of those). Pikes Peak White next to Daytona Blue is my favorite color on the 350Z. My Z is Daytona Blue and when polished looks great in sunlight. I would've gone for PPW if i couldn't have found what i wanted in Daytona Blue.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:33 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by kbc749
Thank you Sam, I have not come across that piece of information in my research yet. I currently own a 2005 Nissan Frontier in Red and it has not faded at all. I assumed the two reds were quite similar because i have parked my next to other red Z's and they seemed quite similar, save that the body panels are made out of different material. But the paint code's are different so they must be quite different in composition. My top three colors are Pikes Peak White, Redline, and Black (super black or magnetic). My goal when finding a Z is to find one that hasn't been wrecked or abused.

Can the fade be protected against or is it just a fact of life? ( aside from not parking for extended periods of time)
Red for some reason is the absolute worst for premature fade, it's totally due to uv exposure. Maybe consider a mag black zr if you don't mind a little extra work. I still get comments on my 06. Nothing fancy just clean black x3.
GL
Old 09-04-2014, 09:56 AM
kbc749

Thank you all for your friendly and helpful input. I will take this into great consideration when purchasing. Essentially the only color that is a no for me is Silver. Sam I really do like the blue as well, it looks spectacular when clean. I drove past a black grand touring roadster today and it also looked great. Taking great care when cleaning and maintaining my vehicles is always a priority, be it a motorcycle, pickup, or two-seater, super impractical sports car, so regardless of color, she will be well taken care of.

At the end of the day, it's going to come down to what is nearby my location when I finally obtain every last penny of the money. If you are feeling bored later, search on cars.com my area code (68516) with the search parameters to be "Manual". And you'll see that there are very very very few, and even fewer with low miles or without salvage titles. So as long as the Z is not silver... we will see what happens.

Anyways thanks again for all the input
Old 09-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Most modern cars including Nissan Zs use a urethane clear coat over the color coat. There are a few different formulas (acrylic-urethane, polyurethane etc) but they all include effective UV protection. In the old days all colors would fade over time, but the most prominent and noticeable color to fade was red. (Red absorbs all of the short wave length, high energy non-visible blue rays; this breaks down the red pigment molecules). With the clear coat paint and a good coat of wax (also contains UV protection) The original bright red hue will last the life of the car.

My roadster had the black leather interior; frost white belongs in your grandmother’s parlor. Serious sports cars have plain black interiors.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:25 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

As a preorder '03 Redline coupe owner, I can only say my AX6 paint continues to shine on. Living in Colorado, we also have a much higher exposure to UV light due to living a mile high, but this hasn't affected my coupe much. But I also love to detail my car on a regular basis with Blackfire (wash, clay, polish and sealant). I think that's the most important factor (along with having a garage) as the Z remains my DD unless the weather really closes in (less than three weeks out of a usual winter).

So look for that Redline ZR, you'll know right away if it's been cared for by how the paint appears.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

if you want red, get it. As far as keeping it shiny... perfect the top coat (level the paint) to give the look you want then seal it up.

Nano coatings are great, they last longer than any sealant or wax and also add some scratch resistance which is nice with our soft paints. I like 22ple VX1 Pro glass costing (it is a sheet of hardened glass that bonds to the clear coat)

The coatings will also give you more protection from UVA and B rays to reduce fading. The coating will last about 2 years if cared for.

Some of the best qualities IMO of these coatings is the hydrophobic and anti-static qualities. Rain and water will bead and fall off your car like nothing you have ever seen. Dust also does not attract to it. Having a black Z dust is no longer a problem.

Last edited by 350zchad; 09-07-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kbc749
Hello from Lincoln, NE

This is my first post. My name is Konrad and I will be purchasing a 350 in the spring/summer of next year (2015). I have been researching all the differences between the years of Z's and I have tracked down a brochure from 2006 and a text description of 2004 and 2007 brochures posted online.

My dream combination is a "Redline (AX6)" colored roadster, aka red. With "frost" interior. Aka white leather seats.

But while examining brochure from 2006 I found that the 2006 roadsters cannot get frost interior, only the coupes. In 2006 the frost interior was only offered in silver; white; and some other color, all coming with a blue top as opposed to black.

I have seen a 2007 with frost interior and red exterior. Was it only the 2007-2009 roadsters that have this option? Or was 2006 and odd duck year? I can always go out and buy the brochures for 2007+ and just look but I've searched several forums for digital copies or exact details to no avail.

Thank you for any info you can provide

Konrad Christen

Ps yes I used the search button to check for the answer first.

Yes, 2006 350Z (AX6) "Touring" model coupes only.
To answer your question.......
2007 350ZR (AX6) is the only year that the frost interior was available...ZR Touring & Grand models but with a gray roadster top.

2008 350ZR Nogaro Red (A41) not available. 2009 350ZR Nogaro Red (A41) not available.

Good Luck!