Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Waiting vs. Off the lot

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 12:15 PM
billy350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waiting vs. Off the lot

Greetings all! I just finished reading most of the recent posts and first wanted to say hello, and second became interested in anyone's thoughts concerning ordering vs. driving an inventoried 350Z off the lot... (after reading the thread "Waiting for my roadster club").

I for one, certainly qualify as an impulse buyer... For those of you that waited/are waiting, you have my deepest respect for your patience... I don't know how you did it and I guess that's what I'm most interested in finding out. Even now I'm having a hard just waiting for warm weather.

In my case I saw a 350Z Coupe last week (I had seen a few before, but really gave it a good looking over), went to a single local dealer yesterday at 2 pm and drove home 4 hours later with one. And don't have a regret in the world. The first car I test drove was it for me and it must have been love at first sight... (Although, I have been in the market for a new car for a few months).

After 3 hours, a few tense moments and one other call to another dealer who laughed at the idea of discounting a roadster, I finally received a total of $3000 off. But I can't determine (yet) if it was additional trade-in allowance or if it came off the MSRP... or does it even matter?

Cheers!

Billyz

-------------
roadster touring
chrome silver/frost/blue top
all options (blah)
Old 02-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Whataguy5431

Default WFMR Club

Billy, I too have long been diagnosed as being an impulse buyer. I have been very fortunate in life and always bought first and planned later. But, I couldn't find the right combo of color and accesorries within 1000 miles of here. So I ordered back in Nov and now the car should be here @ 3/1-12.

The only good thing about waiting, other than getting exactly what you want, is the time to be able troll all these 350Z sites. Lots of good info out here.

Have fun, I hear it's a blast.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Zeenut

I ordered a SS roadster in late Dec with delivery in early March. Three weeks later a CS roadster comes in equipped exactly the way I ordered the SS with the exception that the CS had side airbags. Since I had seen several roadsters arrive damaged during my car search I decided go for the CS. If my ordered car came in damaged I would demand another and it would be mid summer before I saw it. There is limited production of roadsters and I didn't want to be in a bidding war waiting for another one. As they say "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush". Besides the CS won't show the dust or dirt like the darker colors. Now that I have had time with it I'm certain that I like the CS better anyway. It's all a matter of preference.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Buff

Default Well I guess. . .

One could say that I'm an impulse buyer. I hadn't seen any of the new Z's in person, so I checked out the net & found a SB roadie dressed the way I wanted at a local dealership. Took a budy of mine with me to show him what I was "thinking" about getting. 3 hours later I pulled in the driveway & showed it to my wife!!
Never been happier with an auto as I am with my Z, but wished I would have taken the wife with me instead of my buddy!!
Old 02-17-2004, 06:16 PM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Impulsive? Me? Naw! I thought about if I really wanted a ZR for about a week . Once I knew that I wanted it, I placed my order and then scanned my dealer's inventory every day hoping one would come in early. Even though they had 3 LS's, none had the navigation and that was the one option I had to have.

7 weeks later, one came in but it had the 18s and I had ordered the 17s. Close enough for me. The dealer had a sold sign on it within 2 hours of it hitting their inventory. I couldn't wait any longer, and to be honest, now I'm glad that I spent the extra cash for the 18s.

Last edited by theSmoothDome; 02-17-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:51 PM
straderp

Total impulse buyer here too. I had visited the dealership and done the test drives and stuff, but no Roadsters in stock, and despite the temptation, I was committed to the Roadster idea. So I told the salesguy what I wanted, and he called me less than a week later with one that had just come in. I left work early that day 5 minutes after he called me, and I about passed out when I saw the model he had in stock.

2004 CS 6MT Touring Roadster with the full kit and kaboodle. Nav, 18" wheel, black vented leather seats, XID, etc. etc. Sticker price was 46k (including dealer markup crap).

I had wanted PPW with frost leather, not CS with black, and I hadn't wanted the nav system, but since I had been nosey and seen the dealer's call sheet on my previous visit, I knew that every 350Z that was scheduled to come into the dealer in the next 3 months already had a deposit on it, and the only other unbought stock they had were base level coupe's. I presume that the only reason this car hadn't been bought is the premium price they were asking.

At this point, I didn't care the cost because I knew I had to have it. Amazingly, i got 'em down to 40k even (a grand below MSRP and 6 grand below dealer price), and I drove that sexy ***** off the lot.

After hanging out here and reading posts for the last 4 weeks, I now know that I was an incredibly lucky b*st*rd to have scored like that.

The moral of the story is this: You already know you love the car or you wouldn't be looking at it. If you come across one on the lot that's even close to what you want, BUY HER NOW!!! You will not regret it in the least!

- In heaven on the road to hell