Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

What's that light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 04:07 PM
robho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's that light?

Has anyone noticed the little orangish-yellow light that is between the map lights? I think it may be roadster specific, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it does, how to turn it off, or anything about it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Zeenut

Funny, but I noticed it for the first time last night. It is on as long as your headlights are on. Goes off when you turn the lights off. Why? What's it for? I dunno. I noticed that the window lock button does not have a light underneath it on the driver's siide armarest. All other buttons do. Can someone confirm that there is no light under the window lock button?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:15 PM
straderp

Default Re: What's that light?

Originally posted by robho
Has anyone noticed the little orangish-yellow light that is between the map lights? I think it may be roadster specific, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it does, how to turn it off, or anything about it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Dude! It's called ambient lighting. Haven't you noticed how seductively that light plays over the gear shift **** and the console? It's there for atmosphere! (and to help you see the controls in the dark)

You can't turn it off...it comes on with the headlights, like it or not. Personally, I think it's a snazzy touch.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:17 PM
straderp

Originally posted by Zeenut
Can someone confirm that there is no light under the window lock button?
Confirmed that the window lock button has no light underneath. The window up/down switch for driver and passenger and the door lock/unlock buttons have underlighting, but no light on the window lockout.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:57 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it is just to let you know where the light is when it is dark. if that is wrong, then i have no idea.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:35 PM
topdown-z

Talking Strange Light.............

Yep..it's there to help you find your way to the map light in the dark. Although...............it might be a secret beacon that is used by aliens from the dark side put on this earth to steal Z roadsters and their drivers for inter-galactic car races.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:09 PM
2003z

interesting. bmw's have a red light that shines down like that for reading maps and such.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Zeenut

I checked it out again tonight. Straderp is right. It casts ambient light on the gear shift, just enough to see but not too obtrusive. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:06 PM
SeanG

I'm sure it is to help you find the map lights in the dark.

I don't think anyone would have a problem finding their gear shift **** in the dark. If so, don't be driving by me on the road.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:32 PM
straderp

Originally posted by SeanG
I'm sure it is to help you find the map lights in the dark.
No offense, but I'm sure you're wrong.

First of all, they're not "map lights"; the Nissan manual calls them "interior lights". Minor issue, at best. The "map lights" have raised bumps on them to help you find them and to know which end of the light to press to make it come on. You do not need an additional light to figure out where they are.

Second, if Nissan intended the orange light to be used to find the "map lights", I hardly believe that they would have used a bulb that casts light into the interior of the vehicle; they would have used a lower wattage indicator light without the glow.

Third, if you look on page 8-27 of your manual, you'll see the only reference to be found in the manual about this light. It's in the table on this page. In this table, it's called a "spotlight".

If the "spotlight" were intended to help you locate the "map lights", then it would be directed AT the map lights, not AWAY from them. That's the nature of spotlights.

Thus, the intent of the light, as I stated in a previous post, is to cast light upon the gearshift and console. It's ambient lighting, and use of such lighting is very common in higher-end vehicles. It's a refined feature, and an elegant touch to the car.

Case closed.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:04 PM
SeanG

Originally posted by straderp
No offense, but I'm sure you're wrong.

First of all, they're not "map lights"; the Nissan manual calls them "interior lights". Minor issue, at best. The "map lights" have raised bumps on them to help you find them and to know which end of the light to press to make it come on. You do not need an additional light to figure out where they are.

Second, if Nissan intended the orange light to be used to find the "map lights", I hardly believe that they would have used a bulb that casts light into the interior of the vehicle; they would have used a lower wattage indicator light without the glow.

Third, if you look on page 8-27 of your manual, you'll see the only reference to be found in the manual about this light. It's in the table on this page. In this table, it's called a "spotlight".

If the "spotlight" were intended to help you locate the "map lights", then it would be directed AT the map lights, not AWAY from them. That's the nature of spotlights.

Thus, the intent of the light, as I stated in a previous post, is to cast light upon the gearshift and console. It's ambient lighting, and use of such lighting is very common in higher-end vehicles. It's a refined feature, and an elegant touch to the car.

Case closed.
No offense, but if it were ambient lighting wouldn't the Coupe have it also.

Uh, the amount of light that it puts out, I fail to see how that could be called ambient lighting.

I still disagree with you. Do you know why? Because I can!!

Try again, CASE IS NOT CLOSED!!

Old 03-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Chasw1269

Default Re: Strange Light.............

Originally posted by topdown-z
Yep..it's there to help you find your way to the map light in the dark. Although...............it might be a secret beacon that is used by aliens from the dark side put on this earth to steal Z roadsters and their drivers for inter-galactic car races.
Has anyone been summoned for the inter-galactic races yet? If so, please let the aliens know, I'd like to sign up. I will need to review a list of race classes first though. I don't want to get stuck in that nuclear powered, 3MTA3 class again. Those guys are impossible to beat!!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 01:42 PM
vancitydude

No offense, but if it were ambient lighting wouldn't the Coupe have it also.

Uh, the amount of light that it puts out, I fail to see how that could be called ambient lighting.

I still disagree with you. Do you know why? Because I can!!

Try again, CASE IS NOT CLOSED!!

A light to find your way to ANOTHER light... a little redundant dude...

it's an ambient light... audi's have it, bmw's have it... the light shines onto the console in an identlce shade of orange to that of the dash lights... a little to coincidental to be anything BUT ambient... next caller, go ahead.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:44 PM
SeanG

Originally posted by vancitydude
A light to find your way to ANOTHER light... a little redundant dude...

it's an ambient light... audi's have it, bmw's have it... the light shines onto the console in an identlce shade of orange to that of the dash lights... a little to coincidental to be anything BUT ambient... next caller, go ahead.
I'm sorry, at least I'm not the only one on this thread who is dense. Others belive as I do. Maybe it is to guide you to the black switch that is right next to it.

I will make sure I consult YOUR wisdom before I try to form a thought of my own.

I guess when nobody knows for SURE, it should just be left at speculation.

.........next caller kiss my ***

Last edited by SeanG; 03-04-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:59 PM
vancitydude

I'm sorry, at least I'm not the only one on this thread who is dense. Others belive as I do. Maybe it is to guide you to the black switch that is right next to it.

I will make sure I consult YOUR wisdom before I try to form a thought of my own.

I guess when nobody knows for SURE, it should just be left at specualation.

.........next caller kiss my ***
i've been thinking, and you're right, seang.

fyi... watch for a similar light on the steering wheel in '05... nissan is apparenty adding it in case the driver forgets where the steering wheel is.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:11 PM
SeanG

Originally posted by vancitydude
i've been thinking, and you're right, seang.

fyi... watch for a similar light on the steering wheel in '05... nissan is apparenty adding it in case the driver forgets where the steering wheel is.
Kinda like the window up/down button or the door lock button. You would think everyone could find that pretty easy too.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:20 PM
zmann

what in the world does it matter...this is kind of on the comical side, really...but while we are expressing opinions...i think it is simply a reference light, near the hatch lid, near the map lights, etc., it's just a nice little feature...what it is and what to call it is entirely up to you and how you use it. Now, case closed (grin).

srm
Old 03-06-2004, 06:18 AM
Chasw1269

Originally posted by zmann
what in the world does it matter...this is kind of on the comical side, really...but while we are expressing opinions...i think it is simply a reference light, near the hatch lid, near the map lights, etc., it's just a nice little feature...what it is and what to call it is entirely up to you and how you use it. Now, case closed (grin).

srm
Zmann,

You're right, it just shows how truly **** we are about these car's !!! We'll talk about anything on the Z, won't we?!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 07:03 AM
zmann

Yes we are, and I admit I'm probably at the front of the line! But this was a pretty funny thread to read. Some people are so serious and all.

On another topic...didyou make it to the meeting? I was in meetings until 7:00 and had no chance of getting there...I got the newsletter...looking forward to the JD tour thing. See you then, eh?

srm
Old 03-06-2004, 07:21 AM
hsdavis

Default Re: Re: Strange Light.............

Originally posted by Chasw1269
Has anyone been summoned for the inter-galactic races yet? If so, please let the aliens know, I'd like to sign up. I will need to review a list of race classes first though. I don't want to get stuck in that nuclear powered, 3MTA3 class again. Those guys are impossible to beat!!!!
This appears to be the only reply that actually makes sense to me. Thank you Chasw1269 for helping this light issue clear up for me!