Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Locked in key, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Globox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked in key, need help

Yesterday evening I locked the car key of my ZR in the trunk. The other keys are at home, but home is 300 mls away.

Is there a secrete/hidden way to open the trunk ?

Nissan realy doesn't want to offer any assistance, I'm in Europe, they told me to call the number in my US manual and ask Nissan USA for help ....

Need help quickly because top is open and car is parked outdoors as Murphy predicted.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2004, 12:06 AM
CaptinB

If the Top is open, hit the unlock button on the door, then hit the trunk button that is Under the rear emblem, by the licence plate. You should feel a little rubber button. Pree it and that should open the trunk.

Haben sie ein gutes Tag!
Mien Deutch ist nicht gut. Ich habe zwei yahren Deutch.

CaptinB
Old 06-08-2004, 03:35 AM
Globox

Danke schön, Captin B

I tried, but unfortunately it did not work. I tried the single silver colored button in the door opener and the black central locking button, which opens/locks driver and passenger door simultaneously.

Any other ideas ?
Old 06-08-2004, 04:48 AM
Dave Buswell

Default Re: Locked in key, need help

Originally posted by Globox
Yesterday evening I locked the car key of my ZR in the trunk. The other keys are at home, but home is 300 mls away.

Is there a secrete/hidden way to open the trunk ?

Nissan realy doesn't want to offer any assistance, I'm in Europe, they told me to call the number in my US manual and ask Nissan USA for help ....

Need help quickly because top is open and car is parked outdoors as Murphy predicted.

Thanks
I believe the passenger seat will move forward using the button beside the center console on the passenger side even though there;s no key in the ignition. Once you can see behind the passenger seat there's an override switch that makes it impossible to open the trunk without your keyless remote. By moving the switch you'll then be able to open the trunk manually by pushing the rubber button under the Nissan emblem on the trunk lid.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:02 AM
Globox

Thanks Dave, I tried both positions of this button, but the trunk did not open.

I'll try tonite a combination of both ideas, the central lock key plus another position of the key behind the passenger seat.

I hope this will work.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:00 PM
ohw

try this:
Old 06-08-2004, 08:03 PM
ohw

ooops, picture didn't attach. Let me try again.
Attached Thumbnails Locked in key, need help-trunk3.jpg  
Old 06-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Globox

Thank you so much ohw, unfortunately my manual was also at home and my wife's English is not sufficient to read the manual.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Zeenut

Just a question. If your battery is dead and you need to get in the trunk through the rear box, how do you move the electric seat forward so that you can open the rear box and access the emergency trunk lid latch? Remember...dead battery. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2004, 06:57 PM
ohw

Hey Globox, no problem, glad to be able to help. There are lots to learn about this car. I keep my owner's manual in the car for situations like this.
How did you manage to lock your keys in the trunk? I can't figure out how that could happen.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:41 PM
ragZ

I did the exact same thing today. other set of keys 2 hours away! Roof was off, windows down, hood open,alrm on. I reached in and tried the unlock button, worked on doors not trunk. open doors alarm goes off. I had just installed nav-tv with dvd player in lock box behind passenger seat with owners manual also inside and thats now kept locked since install, so I'm screwed!!
What I did was I said screw it and was able to pull the forcably pull the box open !! No damage caused (few) once I got the manual it was a piece of cake.
Like in the drawing a few threads up. once you get the box open there is a small cover, if you don't look hard you won't see it.removethe cover ,pull the tab and walla, the trunks is open!!! Hello Keys!!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Globox

@ ohw

that was an easy one:

open trunk with third button on remote control, which only opens trunk, put your key in trunk, close trunk, and you're screwed.

Next time I'll probably remember:
If everything else fails, read the instructions. (Murphy)

BTW: I have a very early 2004 roadster (built Sept 2003) VIN 4205, now 3500 mls, no tire feathering at all. I am used to drive with a comparatively high tire pressure (2,8 bar, approx 40 psi), which gives a better cornering, a little less comfort on bumpy roads, and a better mileage (gas over here about USD 5,50 per gallon) and probably no tire feathering. I do this since years with all sorts of cars without any problems.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:01 PM
ohw

Thanks Globox. I just tried what you described, sure enough, trunk is locked. Guess I've never done that, yet.

With 40 psi in the tires, you may get more wear around the center of the tires over long period. If you corner hard all the time, the outside edge of the front tires will wear out fast. I did autoX for about 20 years. Most of my previous vehicles had -ve camber in the front which wore out the inside edge. All three gave me even wear, sort of.

Zeenut, you are right about the dead battery. I think in such a case, we're SOL. I wonder if the batt is dead, unlocking the passenger door with the key would unlock the trunk?

GagZ, how long did it take before the alarm shut itself off? If at all?
Old 06-10-2004, 02:15 PM
ragZ

ragz not gagz (but thats pretty funny!!) The alarm shut off in a couple of minutes(thank goodness) its pretty loud!!
Old 06-10-2004, 02:19 PM
ohw

Sorry ragZ, tigger finger too fast!!
Old 06-11-2004, 04:08 AM
Globox

ohw, I hope you had a second set of keys at hand when you closed the trunk.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:45 AM
ohw

HaHaHa, I didn't have a second set of keys at the time. but I kept the keys in my pocket before shutting the trunk lid.