Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

People with the Eclipse AVN-2454

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People with the Eclipse AVN-2454

Are any of you experiencing any amount of noise in your speakers with the installation of this deck?

I have my share...I would like to know if I am alone?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:35 PM
RANDY350Z

You maybe expierencing "alternator noise or whine" from your amp. you would need to get a ground loop or check the placement of your power wires and rca cables. They should be on opposite sides of the vehicle and not installed next to each other.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:58 PM
jcr847

Im picking my car up from the installer tomorrow with the avn2454 in it. I'll let you know...
Old 11-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally posted by RANDY350Z
You maybe expierencing "alternator noise or whine" from your amp. you would need to get a ground loop or check the placement of your power wires and rca cables. They should be on opposite sides of the vehicle and not installed next to each other.
My rcas are run up through my head liner to avoid all possible noise soures. My 0 gauge wire is run along the bottom of the car... regardless I have checked for that, not that problem. Thus I reduce that the noise is deck oriented.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally posted by jcr847
Im picking my car up from the installer tomorrow with the avn2454 in it. I'll let you know...

keep me posted bro

Last edited by Ahsmo; 11-26-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:31 PM
jcr847

Originally posted by Ahsmo
keep my posted bro
I was actually worried about this before I saw this thread, the HU only has .6volt outs... not exactly great for sound quality
Old 11-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I have a line drive in line with my system which bumps the rca voltage up to 8 ohm back to my eq...

The noise is still there. I think something inside the deck makes the noise, having nothing to do with rcas.

What really pisses me off is playing DVDs, the hiss is even worse because for some reason the audio from the DVD is put out lower then normal thus making you turn the deck up horribly loud. I email eclipse about this...waiting on the reply. I could just have a crappy run deck.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:34 AM
rplink

Not sure if I understand your last post Ahsmo.....do you have a line driver attached to the speaker outs to reduce to a RCA level. Or do you have a line driver installed on the RCAs to up the output voltage of the RCA. 8 ohms doesn't makes sense regardless.

If you have a line driver on the RCAs then any noise present on the RCAs will be amplified along with the audio signal.

Is the noise there when you are listening to the system with the car off? If that's the case, then you can typically rule out alternator noise.

I haven't installed a AVN2454 so I not sure if it has the usual small silver box attached to the head unit which most Eclipse units have. If it does, make sure to position the box as far away from the head unit as possible and away from any signal wires. That little sucker is a major source of noise.

You probably have already done this, but check each ground in your system. Make sure that the grounding points are void of any paint and you are getting good metal to metal contact. Headunit, amps, etc should all be checked.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I ment 8 volt not 8 ohm. The amps are then able to be turned all the down while keeping the same amplitude, thus reducing some noise there...

there is indeed noise when the car is off. There is no usual small silver box attached to the head unit. :\

Grounds have been checked and double checked.

I had another install before this one and it too made noise. Everything changed this time around except the head unit, thus inducing the thought that the deck is the source of noise.

I am going to change the grounds around again...
Old 11-27-2004, 09:48 AM
rplink

I was hoping that the AVN2454 had the small box, since repositioning it usually takes care of most noise complaints other than alternator.

Keep in mind that if you really believe that the noise is coming from the head unit RCAs, then the line drivers you have installed are amplifying the noise present in the RCAs along with the wanted audio signal. Higher RCA voltage outputs help minimize the effect of noise induced from external sources such as other wiring run in their proximity. So while reducing the gains at the amplifer increases headroom, it doesn't change the Signal/noise ratio already present in the RCA.

If your RCA runs to your amps are long, then increasing the RCA voltage is a good idea since induced noise during the run will typically be low level compared to the higher RCA voltage. Provided that the line driver inputs are noise-free and the line drivers themselves don't induce noise!

Don't know where you have your amps installed, but I would try and rule out noise induced during the RCA runs by disconnecting all the RCAs at 3 amps you have. Then run one set from the headunit to the 200.4 through the cabin loose without the line drivers. Readjust your gain on the 200.4 and see what happens. If the noise is still present, then it's most likely not coming from the RCAs.

Next step would be to rule out the headunit RCA output. This would be a PITA, but I would try to take one set of amplified inputs from the headunit and run to the 236is crossovers. Once again, just string the wire through the cabin and see if the noise is reduced or gone. If the noise is still there, then definately try to ground the headunit to a different location and if that doesn't work, talk to Eclipse.

I've been using Eclipse stuff for years and have been extremely happy with their products. Noise has never been an issue so I hope that they haven't lost their focus on Sound Quality in favor of packaging as much features as possible into one chassis.

Tracking down noise is not alot of fun. Keep me informed and I'll check back often.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:52 AM
rplink

re-read my post,,,,may be alittle confusing

Don't know where you have your amps installed, but I would try and rule out noise induced during the RCA runs by disconnecting all the RCAs at 3 amps you have. Then run one set from the headunit to the 200.4 through the cabin loose without the line drivers. Readjust your gain on the 200.4 and see what happens. If the noise is still present, then it's most likely not coming from the RCAs.

I meant to indicate that this would possibly eliminate noise induced during the RCA runs.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

thanks a bunch I will try those fixes and get back to you.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:13 PM
jcr847

I got my system today and listened for it, nothing really... dunno
Old 11-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

well guys... I think its my trusty pg amps... :s
Old 11-28-2004, 11:17 AM
MacAlert01

Is the noise a static sound? If so, turn the gains down on the amp. I am assuming that the sounds go away after the music starts playing.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:58 AM
rplink

Ahsmo, how did you come to that conclusion?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

The amp gains are set to about 6v so its not that I need to turn the amp gains down...

After unplugging all my crap(ie pulled the plug on my eq) the noise was still there. Granted not as bad as before but it was still there. So I guess its amps+deck=crap. Im going to play with the settings a little more, Ive got a lot of places to mess with stuff:

line driver to eq to amps

eq has gain controls and level controls acting sorta like a line driver