Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Finished trunk install...not stealth at all! LOL

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished trunk install...not stealth at all! LOL

The trunk has been re-done. Originally I wanted to keep my spare but decided to throw out the tire and replace it with a can of fix-a-flat. Anyway...here's some pics.

Here it is the way it was originally installed...

These are pics. of the trunk after I fixed it up all nice and perty. LOL
First, I traced my old mat onto the MDF for it's basic shape. Then I drew a large rectangle around the mat so all the cuts would be square, I measured the size of the holes I would need and then cut everything out. The large piece was then cut down the middle so I could actually get it in the car. I wraped the top of the sub box, and the 2 floor pieces in vinyl.Then dropped in a piece of plexi-glass. Whole process only took a few hours. It cam out really nice. I'm probably gonna put in a neon tube to light up the amp eventually.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

nice
Old 04-09-2005, 11:04 AM
hjobe

How does the bass travel from the trunk, through the conv top compartment, into the cabin?

I have never understood how bass sounds good that is in a separate trunk.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

The low frequency of bass is able to pass through objects easier. Like...the sound waves from a sub woofer are much longer (further apart), than those from a regular speaker. I don't know why it is but longer waves travel through solid objects easier than shorter waves. If this were a coupe the bass would be much better, but it still sounds great!
Old 04-09-2005, 06:11 PM
manofsteele2003

I'm really not feeling the vinyl, it doesn't seem to match and it has alot of wrinkles. I think you should try to find some carpet that matches the rest of the trunk carpet, but that's just my opinion.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

It matches much better in person. The wrinkles were bothering me too so I took a heat gun to the vinyl and with a little bit of "persuading" aka: a piece of wood, I got it all nice and flat. If I wanted it carpeted I would've just cut my stock mat but I didn't want this to look stock or even semi-stealth at all.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I REALLY like the wire loom on the speaker wires. Very nice detail. Do you have any pictures of the wiring under the mdf? I get off on looking at that kinda stuff
Old 04-09-2005, 06:38 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

no offense but the vinyl wrap looks cheezy.. It's definately too loose and there's just something about it that doesn't look right..I think you are on the right track though.. If it were me, I'd try to cut to fit a piece of lexan or plexy and paint the back side DB.... I think that would look hawt..

--mike
Old 04-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Monsta

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

I like Owner/Driver installs. Makes it all more personal. Good install.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by leemik
no offense but the vinyl wrap looks cheezy.. It's definately too loose and there's just something about it that doesn't look right..I think you are on the right track though.. If it were me, I'd try to cut to fit a piece of lexan or plexy and paint the back side DB.... I think that would look hawt..

--mike
As stated above I have already addressed the problem with the wrinkles. The probelm with using plexi-glass is that in order to get it sturdy enough it would have to be at least 3/4" which woul dbe very difficult to get into the trunk. That and painting it comes with the problem of the paint scratching off. I'm already thinking that after a while when the vinyl wears and/or tears (literally) I may want to cut a piece of diamond plate or something to put there.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
I REALLY like the wire loom on the speaker wires. Very nice detail. Do you have any pictures of the wiring under the mdf? I get off on looking at that kinda stuff
Ha, didn't even notice you could see that loom. I had put that on before when all the wires were exposed. I just put it on the black wires since the others were blue and looked cool as they were. I can take a pic of the wiring but there isnt much more to see than what you're looking at. The wires go immediatly underneath something and out of sight.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Deceit

Creative and different. Me likes!
Old 04-11-2005, 12:25 AM
BoostTed

damn you guys are tough on the kid!!

Looking at the install I had a few things run through my head. The vinyl looks really puffy, the vinly you bought did it have foam padding on the back side? If so it may be the wrong type of vinyl, all of the vinyl ive seen used to cover boxes and such are just plain vinyl no padding etc. If it was not padded then how much and what type of glue did u use? You probably dont have access to a compressor and a spray gun, that would make life a lot easier on you.