Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need a sniff test for new audio setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 08:22 AM
Rocket2023

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio experts please respond! Need advice

I don't care for the sound of the BOSE system. I am somewhat of an audiophile in that I would like to hear music as a composition versus zero separation. With the BOSE, sounds like zero separation. I want a crisp/fat sound and imaging. Type of music I listen to is classic rock, alternative, hard rock. Not big into techno or rap really.

I went down to a local car audio shop and here is what they recommended based on the fact and I quote, " you can't do anything partial with the BOSE system..its either all or nothing."

Alpine 7894 (one with the MP3 capability)
JL 5 channel amp
K2 (w/bullet) speakers
JL Subwoofer
some basic speakers for the rear mids
cables and such (good ones)

$2900 and that is discounted..should be like $3300 with labor. This sounds really high to me.

No way I can sell the wife on this one and really, its about 2X what I would want to pay.

Can anyone make any other suggestions?

Last edited by Rocket2023; 12-06-2002 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Gish

where did you go in Austin? Custom sounds? Extreme audio?
Old 12-06-2002, 04:03 PM
Gish

I have been researching systems for a while now. Cheaper components that might fit you liking:

1. Boston Acoustic Rally's or JL XR for component speakers up front (only need frontstage not rears)

2. JL 500/5 is a good amp, but when you do front stage only can get a 3 channel

3. Get the new HU later

4. Image dynamics woofer for bass (10" IDQ is $169 at sounddomain.com). This speaker is MUCH better for the type of music you are lsitening too. JL Audio woofers tend to be "boomy" and are great for bass in rap/techno, not for rock. IDQs are a very "musical" speaker. Just ask Nizl. I have heard both and am going with Image dymanics. People rave about them on caraudioforum.com

5. That might get you around $1500. I dunno

Hope it helps!

Gish
Old 12-06-2002, 06:25 PM
Rocket2023

Gish, thanks. I really appreciate it. I did go to Custom Sounds and they were great! Really great actually..I did some comparison shopping and they were good on price.

Went home and tried to sell the wife..didn't fly. You know how marital bliss is..

Anyway, I really want to do something with the system..its just not gonna keep me happy.

Can you actually leave the HU and it work well? I am not sure of the signal is pumps out?

Recommend any other shops to talk with in Austin?

Last edited by Rocket2023; 12-06-2002 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:12 PM
Gish

Rocket- based on your "strapped for cash" predicement (sp?), I say screw the HU. I have the Nav system, and have to leave the stock HU in place. That saves you $500 with install right there.
They can hook RCA converters up to the HU. I know b/c that is what i am going to do! Ummmm..... let's see. Custom sounds is great. Sam is AWESOME. I got my orginal system in my 1990 300zx installed there. They are great. They will try to pump Focal though b/c they dropped Boston. Extreme sounds carries Boston, Zapco amps (really high end), and other normal stuff. You should check them out on s Lamar just to get another opinion on what to do. Give them your budget and let them work. Don't go in there and let them think you can spend $3000 like your car suggests, you are on a budget due to the MRS....!! Leave the HU, don't do rear speakers (you won't hear them anyway), and FOCUS on the components and amp (with sub). The only money you should spend should be on the amp+sub+component sets up front. For you, talk to them about the Boston's and a clean amp to run them off of. If all you listen to is classic rock, the sub won't matter much, but tell them you will bring a Image Dynamics IDQ for them in install You won't be dissapointed!! It is GREAT for rock (ask Nizl, he is in a rock band). Letme know if you need anymore help. I am trying to configure my system as well!!! Although I am operating on a $3000 budget! (no mrs. yet) . My stock system in my performance sucks worse than yours!!!

Gish
Old 12-06-2002, 08:39 PM
Rocket2023

Gish

Your the man! Thanks for taking the time. I will go check them out. I am actually somewhat glad to hear about the HU...that it will work that is. I would like something better but if I can get even a 50% improvement in sound its worth it to me. I have not gotten the BOSE fix because at this point..I don't care. I seriously doubt it will satisfy me based on others feed back.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:50 PM
Gish

You will get a 500% improvement in a change of the component set up front alone. Add an amp in you will be in heaven! Boston acoustic are the ****.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:06 AM
Gish

Rocket- Check your PM